Toronto's Swedes

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Could there possibly be an influx of Swedes on the Marlies this year? Guys like Loov, Johnson and Nilsson should be close to the point where some NA experience would be beneficial to their game. From what I've heard, Loov and Nilsson are closest. Johnson could probably put a couple of pounds on before playing a regular role in the A. I also think that Granberg could play a mentor-like rule for these guys at the same time improving his leadership skills.

Am I far off in my assessment? Maybe someone who gets the opportunity to watch these guys more often can shed some insight.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
If we bring them over to the marlies does it waste one of their ELC years?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Well Loov and Nilsson are playing in the AHL next year. Nilsson is almost guaranteed a spot because he's a RHD, and may even play top 4 if Holzer is promoted. Loov may have a harder time, but if Holzer is promoted and he beats our Marshall, he could have a spot. We have a lot of depth, so once again I'm advocating moving a lot of it to acquire some depth we are lacking (not position wise really, but more playing style wise. Also longer term players too maybe). Johnson still has another year in Europe before he can come over to play AHL, as does Herzog. Engvall has another 2 years at least. Maybe even 3 I'm not sure yet. Nylander can come over because he didn't sign a contract in Europe like the others, so he can come to the AHL, OHL, NHL, etc. We can technically bring any of them over now, but we'd have to buy out their contract and we don't need to do that.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Well Loov and Nilsson are playing in the AHL next year. Nilsson is almost guaranteed a spot because he's a RHD, and may even play top 4 if Holzer is promoted. Loov may have a harder time, but if Holzer is promoted and he beats our Marshall, he could have a spot. We hathea lot of depth, so once again I'm advocating moving a lot of it to acquire some depth we are lacking (not position wise really, but more playing style wise. Also longer term players too maybe). Johnson still has another year in Europe before he can come over to play AHL, as does Herzog. Engvall has another 2 years at least. Maybe even 3 I'm not sure yet. Nylander can come over because he didn't sign a contract in Europe like the others, so he can come to the AHL, OHL, NHL, etc. We can technically bring any of them over now, but we'd have to buy out their contract and we don't need to do that.

Engval is so raw that I didn't even include him but yes he gives us something to look for in a couple of years.

As far as buying out contracts, if it's in the best interest of the prospect, the organization should do whatever it deems necessary for proper development. God knows we shouldn't worry about MLSEs books. If the kid will prosper from a couple of years in the A then he should be there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Yes

Playing pro in the AHL would use up a year of their entry level contracts.

Only if signed players are returned to junior teams does the "slide rule" apply and the contract year not count.

Also playing more than 9 NHL games also equals 1 year of ELC.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Yes

Only if signed players are returned to junior teams does the "slide rule" apply and the contract year not count.

I guess that it varies from player to player, but at what point is it worth burning anELC year so that they can learn the NA game?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Engval is so raw that I didn't even include him but yes he gives us something to look for in a couple of years.

As far as buying out contracts, if it's in the best interest of the prospect, the organization should do whatever it deems necessary for proper development. God knows we shouldn't worry about MLSEs books. If the kid will prosper from a couple of years in the A then he should be there.

We have so much depth this year, we don't have to worry about it. Besides, all of the guys we really care about are able to come next year anyways. If Engvall wants to come NA, he'll go to the CHL, otherwise he can stay in Sweden for a couple of years and we don't even have to worry about anything.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
With Nylander, Loov, Nilsson and Johnson coming in soon, we're certainly seeing the next wave of Swedish players coming through Toronto. Lots of talent in that group.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
With Nylander, Loov, Nilsson and Johnson coming in soon, we're certainly seeing the next wave of Swedish players coming through Toronto. Lots of talent in that group.

Loov and Nilsson are already in the AHL.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Well Loov and Nilsson are playing in the AHL next year. Nilsson is almost guaranteed a spot because he's a RHD, and may even play top 4 if Holzer is promoted. Loov may have a harder time, but if Holzer is promoted and he beats our Marshall, he could have a spot. We have a lot of depth, so once again I'm advocating moving a lot of it to acquire some depth we are lacking (not position wise really, but more playing style wise. Also longer term players too maybe). Johnson still has another year in Europe before he can come over to play AHL, as does Herzog. Engvall has another 2 years at least. Maybe even 3 I'm not sure yet. Nylander can come over because he didn't sign a contract in Europe like the others, so he can come to the AHL, OHL, NHL, etc. We can technically bring any of them over now, but we'd have to buy out their contract and we don't need to do that.

Well said, the only thing I would say is that as of right now, there are 8 dmen on the Marlies competing for 6 spots. I would hope that both Loov and Nilsson have to outplay someone else in order to get into the top 6, and not just be handed a spot due to the way they hold their stick. Hopefully, there will be a bit of a rotation during the times when everyone is healthy, especially since AHL players can sometimes have 3 games in 3 days (the scheduling can be a bit crazy). Personally, I'm not sure Johnsson would be ready to come over to NA right now and would prefer to see him spend the year with Frolunda.

It would, because they would all be 20+ years old before the calendar year changes (easier way to think about it is that they are no longer eligible for the CHL). Also, Nilsson's ELC has already started, so he only has 2 years left on it.

I guess that it varies from player to player, but at what point is it worth burning anELC year so that they can learn the NA game?

The only way you would burn an ELC year for a player under 20 is if they play more than 9 games in the NHL. Otherwise, playing in the AHL/ECHL as a 20+ year old would start their ELC, as would playing in a European pro league after signing an ELC.

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van
Yes

I'm pretty sure if Nylander plays the season with the Marlies, it does not count against his ELC, unlike the older players like Nilsson and Loov.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Yes

Not correct.

If a player plays in the AHL before they are 20, then they get payed their ELC salary but the "slide rule" applies. It's a little known rule, but applies to European players. People forget about it because the CHL has an agreement to not send players under 20 to the AHL. This agreement is not made with SHL/KHL/other euro leagues so players drafted from European leagues that are under 20 can go into the AHL and their ELC will slide until they turn 20.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Well said, the only thing I would say is that as of right now, there are 8 dmen on the Marlies competing for 6 spots. I would hope that both Loov and Nilsson have to outplay someone else in order to get into the top 6, and not just be handed a spot due to the way they hold their stick. Hopefully, there will be a bit of a rotation during the times when everyone is healthy, especially since AHL players can sometimes have 3 games in 3 days (the scheduling can be a bit crazy). Personally, I'm not sure Johnsson would be ready to come over to NA right now and would prefer to see him spend the year with Frolunda.

Well the fact that we only have two RHD does help in Nilsson's case. However if he didn't, he would still be in the lineup. I don't know if he'd be top 4, as I'd probably give it to Knodel since he's older, but he'd definitely be in the lineup.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Well the fact that we only have two RHD does help in Nilsson's case. However if he didn't, he would still be in the lineup. I don't know if he'd be top 4, as I'd probably give it to Knodel since he's older, but he'd definitely be in the lineup.

I didn't see any Marlies games with Knodel in them last year. How did he look?

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I didn't see any Marlies games with Knodel in them last year. How did he look?

I didn't see that much either, when he played it was as a 3rd pairing guy with some time on pp2. He's a really big body with a long stick, so he can take up lots of space defensively, although he's not really physical. He'll battle along the boards but won't lay anyone out with a big hit, which is disappointing given his frame. His skating didn't seem to be an issue at the AHL level, but not sure how he would fair in the NHL as he's definitely not fast. He puck movement was decent, I don't recall him making a lot of turnovers when starting the breakout, but he didn't seem willing/able to skate the puck down the ice.

I didn't see enough of his offensive game to make much of a judgement, but I believe his shot from the point has a pretty good velocity, and he didn't make a lot of bad pinches. That's really all I can say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad