Toronto's Stanley Cup Comeback Question

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
On XM today, they were talking about the last team to come back from a 3-1 deficit to win the cup. It was the 42 Leafs, that I know. They said coach Hap Day engineered the comeback by sitting out his #1 center and #1 defenseman. What I don't know and am curious for the answer is who are they talking about?

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Gord Drillon played less games and has a poor playoff, but he was their #1 winger. The defenceman was probably Bucko MacDonald. Played less games, and, dispite being their top scoring regular season d-man, had 1 point in 9 playoff games. Apps was their #1 center, but he played all games and was their leading playoff scorer.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I do know the right place to come and ask the questions.....

It makes sense about Drillon, they talked about Day thinking his center didn't have enough speed to keep up with Detroit and we all know Drillon wasn't the speediest.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Drillon was a very poor defensive player too, and it's said that Day became tired of it at the time, and that was the reason he was traded to Montreal that offseason.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Don Metz was a rw and he played 4 games getting 4 goals and 7 points. So, it's safe to assume he was inserted onto the Schriner-Apps line.

LW Hank Goldup also got the bench.

Ernie Dickens, Jack Church and Gaye Stewert picked up the extra games, which means a d-man likely got move to forward, I'm going to presume Wally Stanowski.

Wetcoaster

On XM today, they were talking about the last team to come back from a 3-1 deficit to win the cup. It was the 42 Leafs, that I know. They said coach Hap Day engineered the comeback by sitting out his #1 center and #1 defenseman. What I don't know and am curious for the answer is who are they talking about?
Actually it is more amazing than that as the Leafs were actually down 3 games to zero when they came back to win 4 straight.

That was also the season that the Habs almost relocated to Cleveland as well as the last year before the Original Six era - the Brooklyn (previously the New York) Americans were the seventh team - six teams made the play-offs with a quarterfinal round needed for the 3rd through 6th seeds playing.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
My mistake, 3 games to 0 it was. The subject came up of course because of Ottawa being down 3-1, and that was what I had on the brain I guess.

I never heard of the Habs almost being relocated to Cleveland of all places. Thanks for passing that on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad