Toronto's Goaltending Dilemma (Who starts in the playoffs?)

Who starts in the playoffs?

• Total voters

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This post here is an excellent example of how the pro-andersen brigade has no interest in evaluating goaltending, and only cares about bashing the leafs elite talent.

That's all the pro-Andersen argument is - a last ditch way to attack the rest of the team, despite all evidence.

Thanks Zeke .. your gas lighting is so hot ... I'm cooking some burgers on it ... I'm not pro Andersen, pro Mitch, pro Matthews, I'm anti-BS, what sets me off is posters like you who prefer to manipulate and gas light instead of attempting an honest truthful discussion.

I'm only pointing out the truth because for whatever odd reason your hell bent on propagating a false narrative about Andersen, Its not that I'm pro-Andersen, that in itself is such an odd concept, I'm the positive to your negative.

The fact you pick and chose stats to suit your narrative, when they fit it you like them, when they don't you resort to gas lighting and personal attacks... your routine is getting tired, old and so transparent ....

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks Zeke .. your gas lighting is so hot ... I'm cooking some burgers on it ... I'm not pro Andersen, pro Mitch, pro Matthews, I'm anti-BS, what sets me off is posters like you who prefer to manipulate and gas light instead of attempting an honest truthful discussion.

I'm only pointing out the truth because for whatever odd reason your hell bent on propagating a false narrative about Andersen, Its not that I'm pro-Andersen, that in itself is such an odd concept, I'm the positive to your negative.

The fact you pick and chose stats to suit your narrative, when they fit it you like them, when they don't you resort to gas lighting and personal attacks... your routine is getting tired, old and so transparent ....

Yah for sure.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
How can you even say this as the team got better freddy has gotten worse the stats even show this lol

I think one of the reasons he got worse is that we cut down on the shots against by around 10% or so. When that happens...and his sv% is not inflated by that extra shot volume...he starts to show his weakness. Look at Lundqvuist in NY. He had a shot clocker that inflated his totals by a wide margin to always give him a great save %. His save % on the road compared to home was crazy different. Even in the years they were good. So I feel the same thing (padded shot totals) have happened to Fred because we were just letting him have too many against.

His Shot totals are down while allowing the same amount of HD chances (which he sucks at in comparison to most high end Goalies) gives you a major dip in his performance numbers. He is the same goalie...but he is not having to stop 35+ per night anymore and still allowing almost the same amount of goals. If he lets in 3 on 35+ shots...doesn't look so bad...allow 3 goals on 28 shots..and he looks worse.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Leafs were shutout in Game 1 and Game 5. No matter what Freddy did they would have lost those games. Your right both statements can be true and probably are.
They don’t necessarily lose game 1, he makes that stop and it goes to OT... where I guess he probably lets in a stinker like he did vs Tom Wilson. So I guess you’re right, they lose game 1

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
My goal is win the cup not get caught up in some campbell versus fred gang war.

I love Campbell and want him here long term but why on earth would anyone choose the goalie whose been sheltered in a Canadian only division over Fred.

It's not uncommon to see backups have amazing numbers when they're on a team like the Leafs. Even in a normal season, Keefe would give Andersen a night off and let Campbell take on the flames, habs, sens, canucks on a non back to back. That's 66% of our opponents right there. The way the Jets are playing, maybe them too.

If the goal is the cup we dress the best team. If Fred is healthy and good to go, dressing him completes the team. Why roll the dice when we have the best team we've had in ages?

I need to see Campbell go up against the whole league next season before I'm convinced he's our no.1 moving forward. He gets lost a lot when teams move the puck around efficiently. I can't be the only one who notices this. We will see this type of puck movement when/if we get to the third round. Will suck if we're the better team but sent golfing because we put in Campbell to shutdown Marchand and his squad.

Fred's last 2 playoffs are .922 and .936 save %. That .922 was basically a conference finals matchup behind a team much worse than our team today.

I get it. The guy let us down a few times over the years. That's irrelevant when it comes to having to actually make a choice between Fred and Campbell.

It's basically saying I choose Campbell over Fred because Fred made me sad. No way anyone can actually make a logical argument to suggest Campbell is the best choice unless they can find a way to bamboozle.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
My reasoning for selecting Jack Campbell, two truths and a lie edition:

He went on a historic run and gives the team a juice load of confidence, the guys a dreamboat, I think the Oilers have a decent shot at the Cup.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Play the best goalie at the moment and right now it is Campbell.
The thing is I have no problem if Campbell struggles in the playoffs and Keefe plays Andersen right away instead of Campbell figuring it out and vice versa.
You play the goalie who gives you the best shot to win.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Right now it's got to be Campbell. What I appreciate about him is we saw his historic winning run come to an end, struggled for a few outings (and we weren't sure what would happen next) and then battled back to get back on track. Sometimes it's not the success that matters but what happens in the face of adversity.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This post here is an excellent example of how the pro-andersen brigade has no interest in evaluating goaltending, and only cares about bashing the leafs elite talent.

That's all the pro-andersen argument is - a last ditch way to attack the rest of the team, despite all evidence.
Yup. Not a smart look.

Reactions: Auston 316

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Right now it's got to be Campbell. What I appreciate about him is we saw his historic winning run come to an end, struggled for a few outings (and we weren't sure what would happen next) and then battled back to get back on track. Sometimes it's not the success that matters but what happens in the face of adversity.
This is still mostly emotion based.

I don't see how bouncing back against these teams means anything in terms of winning the cup. I love it as a success story for Campbell and enjoy what I'm seeing from him, he deserves a lot of praise right now...but we've taken periods off and still the obvious better team. So I don't really see how it's enough to sit a healthy Fred, assuming he actually is 100% now and his stats this year are a reflection of his injury. This division does not illustrate what awaits us if we want the Cup. We need Fred in mid-season form by the third round to say we have the best possible goalie dressed.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Andersen has sucked for far longer than just this injury. It’s not like he was elite before his knee injury.

Andersen in mid-season form is the same Andersen that demoralizes this team with weak softies. No thanks. He had his chance (after chance).

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country

I love Campbell and want him here long term but why on earth would anyone choose the goalie whose been sheltered in a Canadian only division over Fred.

Luckily the first two playoff series will be against the Canadian only division so how is this relevant?

I need to see Campbell go up against the whole league next season before I'm convinced he's our no.1 moving forward. He gets lost a lot when teams move the puck around efficiently. I can't be the only one who notices this. We will see this type of puck movement when/if we get to the third round. Will suck if we're the better team but sent golfing because we put in Campbell to shutdown Marchand and his squad.

The logical conclusion to this argument is that you don't want Campbell to play in the playoffs at all, because it's literally impossible for him to play against non-Canadian teams until the third round. This is absurd.

Fred's last 2 playoffs are .922 and .936 save %. That .922 was basically a conference finals matchup behind a team much worse than our team today.

I get it. The guy let us down a few times over the years. That's irrelevant when it comes to having to actually make a choice between Fred and Campbell.

You can choose based on the fact that Andersen has been declining steadily, is coming off an injury and has been thoroughly outplayed by Campbell facing the exact same set of teams that they'll face in the first two rounds.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is still mostly emotion based.

I don't see how bouncing back against these teams means anything in terms of winning the cup. I love it as a success story for Campbell and enjoy what I'm seeing from him, he deserves a lot of praise right now...but we've taken periods off and still the obvious better team. So I don't really see how it's enough to sit a healthy Fred, assuming he actually is 100% now and his stats this year are a reflection of his injury. This division does not illustrate what awaits us if we want the Cup. We need Fred in mid-season form by the third round to say we have the best possible goalie dressed.

Falling back on Fred would be more of an emotion based response since the only argument for him would be "the devil you know." The idea that we would even start a cold goalie coming off injury with question marks to his mental game over a guy currently on a roll doesn't make a lot of sense when talking about transitioning from Game 56 to Game 1.

Re: Campbell, he's a guy with no track record whatsoever, so seeing him bounce back is trying to get an understanding of how he plays over a longer sample size. The fact that he can bounce back is a sign he can work through adversity.

Not saying we couldn't ever go back to Fred if Jack struggles, but the idea that the net belongs to him just because doesn't sound like a compelling argument.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

That's all the pro-andersen argument is - a last ditch way to attack the rest of the team, despite all evidence.

The Columbus series was a failure of both goaltending and the rest of the team, at different times in different games. It was a total team effort.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Hopefully we never see Andersen play in a Leafs jersey again. Because if we do, it will mean we probably lost multiple playoff games in a row in the playoffs and we had to turn back to this wet napkin.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Half of the playoff run would be against Canadian teams, so if Campbell can make a two round run in a sheltered environment to get his feet wet in the playoffs, it's really a non issue.

It's not uncommon to see backups have amazing numbers when they're on a team like the Leafs. Even in a normal season, Keefe would give Andersen a night off and let Campbell take on the flames, habs, sens, canucks on a non back to back. That's 66% of our opponents right there. The way the Jets are playing, maybe them too.

Traditionally it hasn't been common for the Leafs to have a good backup goalie at all...

If the goal is the cup we dress the best team. If Fred is healthy and good to go, dressing him completes the team. Why roll the dice when we have the best team we've had in ages?

The repeated use of the word "if" is important when discussing Andersen. You would be rolling the dice on Andersen being healthy and good to go.

You could also potentially win a Cup before even being anointed a full time starter in this league. Matt Murray in 2016 being the most recent example.

It's basically saying I choose Campbell over Fred because Fred made me sad. No way anyone can actually make a logical argument to suggest Campbell is the best choice unless they can find a way to bamboozle.

"The devil you know" isn't the most compelling argument either.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Half of the playoff run would be against Canadian teams, so if Campbell can make a two round run in a sheltered environment to get his feet wet in the playoffs, it's really a non issue.

Traditionally it hasn't been common for the Leafs to have a good backup goalie at all...

The repeated use of the word "if" is important when discussing Andersen. You would be rolling the dice on Andersen being healthy and good to go.

You could also potentially win a Cup before even being anointed a full time starter in this league. Matt Murray in 2016 being the most recent example.

"The devil you know" isn't the most compelling argument either.

Yup, I’m hoping Campbell can be our Tim Thomas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->