Toronto's Goaltending Dilemma (Who starts in the playoffs?)

Who starts in the playoffs?

• Total voters

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I don't care if he's confident tbh, just back it up. At the end of the day we will play who's playing the best whether it's Freddy or Jack. And at this point, unless Jack falters and Freddy has some good games to end the season it should be Campbell getting the nod game 1

Reactions: stickty111

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Confidence is only good if you can back it up

When you suck on the ice, being this confident just makes you look dumb
I literally said “back it up” in my post and you responded with back it up. :(

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I saw that Freddie was at practice today. So, maybe they are setting him up to be the starter again.

The team should not care about friendships or his contract year. He was playing sub-par and unfortunately became injured. This is a team that played it's best hockey in the last four years while in the middle of that streak with Jack in net.

Freddie stole the show some nights in the past but when you're in this to win it, it's a basic case of "what have you done for me lately"? You don't rock the boat and create controversy, you can't have fake bravado or promises and continued playoff failure.

So, I think Keefe is too focused on winning and he isn't going to lie to himself, the fans or the players and he will go with Campbell barring some big shift. This is professional sports, where players are well compensated. Some OVER compensated relative to their playoff success. Freddie will be well compensated again in the future, but, if you disrupt a strong team right now and he loses again in the post-seasons, heads will roll.

If you don't believe my opinion, read comments from hockey fans of other teams in the comments they leave on other sports websites and on this forum. You hear a recurring theme: "now that they have solid goaltending, this Leaf team is dangerous" etc. These aren't emotional homers they are hockey fans and objective observers.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsRus

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Best case scenario for the team is Andersen plays the best hockey of his career and duals Campbell for those starts in the playoffs

Not sure that's going to happen, but would be great for the team

Reactions: leafsfan5

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Pretty big ego for a guy who can’t stop a beachball

This guy has sucked for so long. His inability to acknowledge it is troubling.

and to make matters worse hes blaming some bogus "knee" injury. If any of that were true the leafs would have acknowledged it from day one. The entire cloak and dagger routing by Keefe and Dubas means they're not buying it either.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Would love to see Andersen get a conditioning stint with the Marlies for 2-3 games to ensure he has the confidence and is all healed up.

At that point I would make him a part of the active roster with Campbell. And split the starts in playoffs until someone craps the bed.

Thats what I would do. No player should lose his starting job due to injury. The team does play better in front of Andersen, this is proven.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Would love to see Andersen get a conditioning stint with the Marlies for 2-3 games to ensure he has the confidence and is all healed up.

At that point I would make him a part of the active roster with Campbell. And split the starts in playoffs until someone craps the bed.

Thats what I would do. No player should lose his starting job due to injury. The team does play better in front of Andersen, this is proven.
He can’t go until earliest may 1st. Then he can play pretty much as much as they like with all the makeup games. Toronto Marlies – The Official Site of the Toronto Marlies

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to go on a conditioning stint, you need to be activated from LTIR.

Right now with Bogosian & Hyman on LTIR, the Leafs do not have enough space to bring Freddy back into the fold.

It's one thing for the Bolts to throw Kucherov in there for game 1 of the playoffs having not played all year. A winger isn't going to lose you the game because he's rusty. A goalie can.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to go on a conditioning stint, you need to be activated from LTIR.

Right now with Bogosian & Hyman on LTIR, the Leafs do not have enough space to bring Freddy back into the fold.

It's one thing for the Bolts to throw Kucherov in there for game 1 of the playoffs having not played all year. A winger isn't going to lose you the game because he's rusty. A goalie can.

It should be Jack Campbell no doubt. Just look at the Leafs record with him in net. IT’s close to perfect. Coupled with the fact that he has put up some really excellent numbers. You have to go with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad