Post-Game Talk: Toronto's ECHL team destroys the Montreal Canadiens 3-0 (bye bye Hudon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
What a boring and utterly useless game. Hutchison was better than Lindgren, but Habs' inability to score really came down to the same old problem of lousy shooters. Domi and Petry had chances, but of the ample number of shots, most were unskilled chest-thumpers that accomplish nothing but inflate a goalie's SV%. An actual goal-scorer would be really nice...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I wonder if anyone would have predicted that Brook would be cut from camp before Fleury, had the question been asked earlier this summer. Fleury as a 2nd year pro, took quite the leap.
I would have predicted that both would have been cut at the same time. I knew Fleury was good since I watched him a bunch last year, but he still surprised me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty sure the Jets head scout was looking at Brook last night but not only him. I have no doubt in my mind that Bergevin has thrown a few package offers to the Jets for Laine. Imagine if Laine pulls another Trouba and says I want to be traded to the Habs? :sarcasm:. This would make up for all the UFA's that have said no to the Habs for decades! Not banking on it but would be nice! That would force the Jets hand a bit.

- Brook: Very close to NHL ready and in terms of development production, he is our most attractive prospect on D the Jets would want IMO. Another option is Romanov but he can't play NHL till next year. I'd be willing to give up one of them as the top prospect on D they would be looking for.

- Drouin: To make the cap work for the Habs, we need to send salary back. Kind of how we had to take Tatar but not necessarily a cap dump. Maybe we can retain $1M to bring his AAV down to $4.5M? Say what you want to say about Drouin flaws, he is still a valuable piece in the middle 6 of any line-up and can help out their 2nd PP unit. At $4.5M, this could be a steal! And if he is able to get to the next level with the Jets cause they have better centers, they might win the trade

- 1st round pick: Must have for the Jets. I'd be pushing for a 2021 1st cause we are hosting the draft in 2020. Think I would be willing to waive any lottery protection and take that gamble.

I think this is a serious trade package offer and if you compare to the Patch trade (time of trade, not now), Brook > or = Suzuki, Drouin > Tatar, and 1st > 2nd. Does this bridge the gap between Patch and Laine player values? If not, add a 2nd or grade B prospect to the package.

What team beats this type of package? The only way I see a team trumping ours is if they give them a Chabot or McAvoy type guy on D who is proven but doubt any team does this.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Pretty sure the Jets head scout was looking at Brook last night but not only him. I have no doubt in my mind that Bergevin has thrown a few package offers to the Jets for Laine. Imagine if Laine pulls another Trouba and says I want to be traded to the Habs? :sarcasm:. This would make up for all the UFA's that have said no to the Habs for decades! Not banking on it but would be nice! That would force the Jets hand a bit.

- Brook: Very close to NHL ready and in terms of development production, he is our most attractive prospect on D the Jets would want IMO. Another option is Romanov but he can't play NHL till next year. I'd be willing to give up one of them as the top prospect on D they would be looking for.

- Drouin: To make the cap work for the Habs, we need to send salary back. Kind of how we had to take Tatar but not necessarily a cap dump. Maybe we can retain $1M to bring his AAV down to $4.5M? Say what you want to say about Drouin flaws, he is still a valuable piece in the middle 6 of any line-up and can help out their 2nd PP unit. At $4.5M, this could be a steal! And if he is able to get to the next level with the Jets cause they have better centers, they might win the trade

- 1st round pick: Must have for the Jets. I'd be pushing for a 2021 1st cause we are hosting the draft in 2020. Think I would be willing to waive any lottery protection and take that gamble.

I think this is a serious trade package offer and if you compare to the Patch trade (time of trade, not now), Brook > or = Suzuki, Drouin > Tatar, and 1st > 2nd. Does this bridge the gap between Patch and Laine player values? If not, add a 2nd or grade B prospect to the package.

What team beats this type of package? The only way I see a team trumping ours is if they give them a Chabot or McAvoy type guy on D who is proven but doubt any team does this.

Doesn’t mean he was there for a trade for Laine. He was maybe there for a way more minor trade. They need depth

Last edited:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
What a boring and utterly useless game. Hutchison was better than Lindgren, but Habs' inability to score really came down to the same old problem of lousy shooters. Domi and Petry had chances, but of the ample number of shots, most were unskilled chest-thumpers that accomplish nothing but inflate a goalie's SV%. An actual goal-scorer would be really nice...

I look at this team and I see some good structure in terms of system, I think it's Julien's strong suit to have them be sound as a 5-men unit. We have depth, a lot of good two-way players, a couple guys who can produce like Domi, Tatar, Gallagher and co. This team can hang on with any of them, but not actually close the deal when you absolutely need it.
People may react badly to my following statement but : the absence of Pacioretty and Galchenyuk is starting to be felt.

Now I really wouldnt want to undo these two trades because the returns were excellent. But we lost a legit 50-60+ goal total from previous editions. Last year, the team responded by scoring by commities and it helped us score 5-on-5. Problem is you cant always rely on depth or on poor Gallagher who always has to pick-up this team's slack. We dont have many elite shots (safe Weber of course).

As you pointed out, we do shoot a lot, and it's a good sign. But how many of these are peripheral muffin shots? We need some players who can beat goalies clean.

With all that said, I think we couldnt have had a better gift from the hockey gods than Caufield falling in our laps. He is exactly what we've needed since decades : a shot that can go in consistently, both at even-strength and on the PP. Pacioretty had a hard wrist shot that he liked to use on the rush, but was putrid on the PP. How you can have such a good wrister and such a poor clapper... Amazing really.

This team will be in serious business next year with CC on the team. This is a guy that can beat any goalie on the planet. He just places the disc exactly where he goddamn wants. I've said elsewhere, I dont think I've seen such a precise shot since a long time. His wrister is Sakic-level. The rest of his arsenal is as lethal. A guy that can get you a goal (or some goals) night in, night out. And when you have such a threat, it opens up some room on the ice for his teammates. Which has a domino effect that leads to them producing/scoring a bit more.

But right now, I watch this team and I dont feel anyone can be a consistent threat that makes the opponents be on their toes. They know the shot will come from low-percentage spot or will be a muffin. Very easy to defend. Very boring.

When you have weak shooting like this, the team should try to make the goalie move more with east-west passing in the o-zone. Who can do that on the Habs except Domi and Tatar?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Doesn’t mean he was there for a trade for Laine. He was maybe there for a way more minor trade

Possible but I think he was looking at Brook and others. It's smart for them to do their due diligence in case they do trade Laine. They are not forced to trade him to the Habs or trade him at all but they also have a team that is close to contending for a cup and having an off year cause Buff retires or his play is uninspired and Laine gives them fits with a contract like Nylander did with the Leafs is not something they would like.

I have no doubt in my mind the Jets are exploring various options. They are in a tough division and a bad start could derail their season. This is more serious than some realize cause all the hard work they did over the past few seasons assembling this roster could get derailed.

Habs are interested in Laine and the Jets need help on D. It makes sense to me that they would check out how good Brook is

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Possible but I think he was looking at Brook and others. It's smart for them to do their due diligence in case they do trade Laine. They are not forced to trade him to the Habs or trade him at all but they also have a team that is close to contending for a cup and having an off year cause Buff retires or his play is uninspired and Laine gives them fits with a contract like Nylander did with the Leafs is not something they would like.

I have no doubt in my mind the Jets are exploring various options. They are in a tough division and a bad start could derail their season. This is more serious than some realize cause all the hard work they did over the past few seasons assembling this roster could get derailed.

Habs are interested in Laine and the Jets need help on D. It makes sense to me that they would check out how good Brook is

I think he was more there to look at Peca/Hudon for depth player but we’ll see

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
why are you guys talking about cuts, 3/4 of that lineup was our real lineup

Hudon, Belzile, Peca, Evans, Barber, Lindgren
vs
Price, Weber, Gallagher, Danault, Byron, Lehkonen, Suzuki

Leafs had more energy and nothing to lose with their AHL roster. Should be interesting to see how our revamped Laval team does against the Marlies this year.

Habs were not the faster team last night and if we are not skating like we did all year last year, we will be in trouble.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You just said it, Hudon ain't a Tucker, so whatever was said about Darcy is pretty irrelevant here.

Hudon can create and is crafty..say what now? Suzuki is that, Kotkaniemi is that, Domi is that. Hudon? Not at all someone you'd associates those adjectives with. Hes not gonna play with more offensive player because he doesnt deserve it, he is an AHLer caliber talent. No idea how much more time you need to accept this, hes already played over 100 games in the NHL.

Always surprises me how people on these boards don't know the difference between an analogy and a direct comparison...

Hudon is not in the top 14. If he passes through waivers he'll be in Laval in case of injury. I stand by my position that I want to see what he can do if he has increased his speed. If there's an injury may be we will.

At any rate there are more pressing issues with the top 14 - like getting unproductive Armia out of the top 9.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Possible but doubt they need to send the head scout for Hudon and Peca. Book is already out on them. I think the head scout is more specialized in the age 20 and under players
Given state of Jets D he may have been looking at Habs and Leafs D that are liable to be on waivers soon

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Given state of Jets D he may have been looking at Habs and Leafs D that are liable to be on waivers soon

What D are the Habs putting on waivers other than Alzner? Pretty sure we run our 23 man roster with 2 extra defenseman

Mete / Weber
Kulak or Chariot / Petry
Kulak or Chariot / Folin or Brook or Fleury
Reilly, Folin

- Brook and Fleury are exempt from waivers
- Juulsen likely is on IR and will be allowed to get AHL games in for conditioning once he is ready.
- Alzner will be on waivers.... you think they will take him? lol

Habs won't be loosing a Defenseman. Peca and Hudon will be put on waivers though so go ahead and take them but we are fine on D in terms of not losing anyone.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Always surprises me how people on these boards don't know the difference between an analogy and a direct comparison...

Hudon is not in the top 14. If he passes through waivers he'll be in Laval in case of injury. I stand by my position that I want to see what he can do if he has increased his speed. If there's an injury may be we will.

At any rate there are more pressing issues with the top 14 - like getting unproductive Armia out of the top 9.
Sure, you can wait to see, I'll be waiting here for you to finally get how hes not cut out for the NHL.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
What D are the Habs putting on waivers other than Alzner? Pretty sure we run our 23 man roster with 2 extra defenseman

Mete / Weber
Kulak or Chariot / Petry
Kulak or Chariot / Folin or Brook or Fleury
Reilly, Folin

- Brook and Fleury are exempt from waivers
- Juulsen likely is on IR and will be allowed to get AHL games in for conditioning once he is ready.
- Alzner will be on waivers.... you think they will take him? lol

Habs won't be loosing a Defenseman. Peca and Hudon will be put on waivers though so go ahead and take them but we are fine on D in terms of not losing anyone.

I said Habs or Leafs D

Habs Alzner although they won't touch him, while not playing last night it is possible that Follin or Reilly gets exposed or MB would entertain trading them one of them if he thinks Fleury is ready.

Leafs had Harper/Holl/ Schmaltz/and Gravel dressed on d last night. (probably 3 of those guys will be on waivers before close of camp)

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Francois Gagnon asks: "Alors pourquoi tenir ce genre de match si un coach d’expérience et des dépisteurs professionnels ne peuvent rien en tirer de vraiment constructif? Pourquoi ne pas plutôt limiter à trois ou quatre le nombre de matchs préparatoires afin qu’ils portent vraiment leur nom? "

The answer to Francois: because Geoffrey Moneybags Molson make less $$$ with fewer games. All these suckers that got tickets and bought molson p!ss last night otherwise wouldn't. That's why. Habs are a business - nothing else. Nobody cares about the regular Joe. All the connection to the fans crap that the organization is pushing is just that... crap. Politician level crap.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Because our fantastic GM gave him a 1 way contract.........

That doesn't mean he can't/won't be sent down. He gave him a 1 way contract on the hope that when he does send him down no one takes him. Good to have insurance in Laval for injuries. Cap hit if sent down is minimal 1.3M - 1.025M so 275K but salary in cash is still 1.3M which may scare the budget teams off from a waiver claim. Giving borderline guys that you expect to send down 1 way deals near a million is good planning.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sure, you can wait to see, I'll be waiting here for you to finally get how hes not cut out for the NHL.

sounds good.

And I'll be waiting here for you to finally get the difference between an analogy and a direct comparison.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->