GDT: Toronto vs Pittsburgh||Oct 26 7:00 PM||CBC|

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
I kind of think as a group we dont give enough credit to Kulemin and Clarkson on l3 and l2.

Mostly because they are two of our best forecheckers, and draw defenders to create space. They have a huge role. I really would like to see this group healthy because all of the guys are important and not easy to replace.

SteveV*

A guy with Lupul's injury history, what an asinine decision. Really disappointing, especially with the history of these injuries In practice! So stupid.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The leafs SH% is so high that they due for some regression and an epic collapse. They got lucky last season and outlasted the odds, but even the leafs can't out play the power of mathematical statistics. People should read James Mirtle or Cam Charron etc for some unbiased insights on hockey

:biglaugh:

Mirtle has corsi stats on his pajamas.

SteveV*

I find Mirtle to be heavily anti-Leaf, believe he didn't even think we would make the playoffs this year.

leafstilldeath*

We have plenty of skill with the puck on this team, the coaching strategy is not using it. We are 100% avoiding the middle of the ice even when it's safe. It's sucking the skill right out of our game. Chip-and-chase doesn't make sense for this team. Even teams that aren't that good are passing circles around us as we struggle to chase down the pucks we threw away because its "safe." The only time we have an organized breakout is when the other team goes for a line change. And our passing from our icing line through the neutral zone is so incompetent one might be tempted to think they're not even practicing it at all...maybe because they're too busy practicing chipping the puck 6 feet up the boards :facepalm:

Very well said couldn't have put it better myself. The skill is not been utilized by the system incorporated by the coaching staff. It is a shame really

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We have plenty of skill with the puck on this team, the coaching strategy is not using it. We are 100% avoiding the middle of the ice even when it's safe. It's sucking the skill right out of our game. Chip-and-chase doesn't make sense for this team. Even teams that aren't that good are passing circles around us as we struggle to chase down the pucks we threw away because its "safe." The only time we have an organized breakout is when the other team goes for a line change. And our passing from our icing line through the neutral zone is so incompetent one might be tempted to think they're not even practicing it at all...maybe because they're too busy practicing chipping the puck 6 feet up the boards :facepalm:

Leafs are a very frustrating team. We're constantly outworked in all three zones. It's very hard to see the other teams get Grade A opportunities on our goalies without having to work for it while the Leafs have to work for every inch in their zone.

I think the longer we play like this, the easier it becomes to admit that the Leafs are going to be playing like this for the remainder of the season. They aren't "sleeping," maybe we're just not awake to the possibility that the Leafs just aren't a well coached team.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Was anyone surprised by Clarkson's speed last night? I thought he looked faster that I anticipated. People talked about how of a below average skater he is, he looked fine to me.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
The leafs SH% is so high that they due for some regression and an epic collapse. They got lucky last season and outlasted the odds, but even the leafs can't out play the power of mathematical statistics. People should read James Mirtle or Cam Charron etc for some unbiased insights on hockey

The Leafs are 7 - 4 making James Mirtle's and Cam Charron's insights kind of wrong. They'll run with this schtick as long as it takes before they're right, but at the moment they've been wrong for a season +.

SteveV*

Is it really that far fetched to say that the Leafs wont make the playoffs?

I think we have a good chance but I can also see how this team might not make it

Of course not, but if you actually listened to him over the summer it was like he was trying to poke holes in everything. I don't like Mirtle, find his analysis pedestrian and think he is biased against the Leafs.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Too bad the team couldn`t suspend him without pay for negligence while he is injured and have the cap hit not count. It really baffles me that players refuse to take any and all measures to protect themselves from injury during on ice practice sessions. Would it really hurt them to wear neck guards and protective shields of all kinds?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs are 7 - 4 making James Mirtle's and Cam Charron's insights kind of wrong. They'll run with this schtick as long as it takes before they're right, but at the moment they've been wrong for a season +.

Well it doesn't really make them wrong if the argument is that Leafs high shooting % accuracy, and being outplayed and outshot on regularity will eventually catch up to the team during player scoring slumps and extended losing streaks that might still be coming.

Its a long season so the first 11 games don't conclude accuracy of their predictions as the final 82 results and Leafs position in terms of a playoff spot will.

Advanced stats do not favour the Leafs as a competitive team over 82 games but rather allow for burst and fortunate results, or goalie stolen games that Leafs didn't deserve to win to alter the results short-term.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Statistics show that Toronto is 0-4 against teams whose city name starts with C and 7-0 against every other letter. Ipso facto, Toronto should win this.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Was anyone surprised by Clarkson's speed last night? I thought he looked faster that I anticipated. People talked about how of a below average skater he is, he looked fine to me.

almost two weeks with one on one skating time with Underhill.

I understand that people are getting frustrated with the coaching with Carlyle - but I personally don't know who you bring in right now to replace him. the Coaching market right now isn't really full of possibilities.

However I truly feel, putting my eternal daisy-optimism aside here: if there hasn't been a significant shift by December 1st in the entire team mentality, than you could potentially say that we have a problem - but if we keep eeking out wins and keep pace with everyone else, we could also potentially be okay.

the records of the Penguins, Bruins, Wings are very similar to us. this is where everyone will go but "we've been playing badly, being out shot, being whatevered here." I acknowledge that and accept that. However. I think most people are instantly going towards "well we simply won't get better, the Leafs aren't coached well/bad team." I am going to lean towards the "the team can find its second gear." I think at the end of the day if we can keep pace with the Wings/Bruins - we should relatively okay - and then take advantage of the key divisional matchups.

Which I personally feel that we often do.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Leafs are a very frustrating team. We're constantly outworked in all three zones. It's very hard to see the other teams get Grade A opportunities on our goalies without having to work for it while the Leafs have to work for every inch in their zone.

I think the longer we play like this, the easier it becomes to admit that the Leafs are going to be playing like this for the remainder of the season. They aren't "sleeping," maybe we're just not awake to the possibility that the Leafs just aren't a well coached team.

Certainly, not enough has changed since Wilson was fired. Carlyle has not fixed much since taking over. Just maybe it's the pool of players he has to work with.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Statistics show that Toronto is 0-4 against teams whose city name starts with C and 7-0 against every other letter. Ipso facto, Toronto should win this.

LOL
the more this stat is given - the more I really do not want to do the gdt for the calgary flames game.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

Uh, I follow Charron on Twitter, and unbiased isn't exactly something I would attribute to him. He has his narrative, and anything that falls outside of it is random luck. Mirtle is A+ though.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I find Mirtle to be heavily anti-Leaf, believe he didn't even think we would make the playoffs this year.

I would not call him anti leaf just a man with skepticism. He actually thought the leafs were a bubble team which is not out of the question.

mikebel111*

I expect healy to say something along the lines of, if kadri makes an error. Than healy might show crosby, and say than kadri should follow crosby. Than i will be like " yeah kadri should play like the best player in the game. Pretty easy task"
Gardiner is playing much better under carlyle these last few games. Yet people will disclaim that fact just to say randy doesnt let gardiner rush
The puck. If u guys watch. Gardiner is still rushing but more controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad