yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
WHALE_zpse80ba0a3.png

crypenguin_zps84371cff.png

orrpenguin_zps4db72384.png

NEWSTATS_zps7550fb4b.png

Season series: This is the first of three meetings this season. The Pittsburgh Penguins won the final two of three against the Toronto Maple Leafs last season, one in a shootout.

Big story: Each team played Friday and had to travel to Toronto after failing to become the first team in the Eastern Conference to reach eight wins. Pittsburgh, playing at home, lost to the New York Islanders 4-3, allowing three third-period goals. Toronto lost to the Columbus Blue Jackets 5-2, allowing four third-period goals.

Team Scope:

Penguins: After winning their first five home games, Pittsburgh lost two in a row at Consol Energy Center before heading out for a two-game road trip.

Rookie Jeff Zatkoff made his second start in goal Friday, leaving Marc Andre-Fleury to play this one.

"We would have loved to give him his first win, especially with the way he played," Crosby said of Zatkoff. "It's disappointing, it's disappointing that we couldn't finish the job. We played a pretty good game all in all, besides the last 7-10 minutes ... it's frustrating but we're going to have to turn the page pretty quick here."

Maple Leafs: After holding the Anaheim Ducks to 25 shots on goal in a 4-2 win Tuesday (its first game allowing less than 31), Toronto faced 36 shot at Columbus. It's the seventh time the Maple Leafs have seen at least that many.

"When you give up the number of chances we did in the first [period], and then come back …," coach Randy Carlyle said. "The power plays were definitely lopsided (6-3 for Columbus), then we get a break to go 4-on-3 and we give up a shorthanded [goal], kind of set the table for what happened tonight."

Forward David Clarkson made his Maple Leafs debut after serving a 10-game suspension incurred in the preseason. He was minus-1 with four shots, one hit and two penalty minutes -- Columbus scored during his first-period penalty for holding.

"I think he looked rusty," Carlyle said. "The one thing you know he's going to try, he's going to work. The other things, as far as the stick-handling, the turnovers and stuff, you have to give the guy some slack. He hasn't played any games this year. Everybody else has got 10 games ahead of him."

Jonathan Bernier made his third straight start in goal, so James Reimer is likely to play this one.

Who's hot: Crosby has scored in nine of 10 games, with eight goals and 10 assists. ... Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel followed a hat trick Tuesday with a goal Friday. James van Riemsdyk has seven points in the past five games.

Injury report: Penguins defenseman Kris Letang (lower body) played 25:32 in his first game of the season Friday. Forwards Beau Bennett (lower body), James Neal (upper body) and Matt D'Agostini (lower body), and goaltender Tomas Vokoun (pelvis) are on injured reserve. ... Maple Leafs forward Frazer McLaren (finger) returned Friday. Forward Joffrey Lupul (foot) was scratched. Forward Nikolai Kulemin (ankle) and defenseman Mark Fraser (knee) are on injured reserve.

yodapenguins_zps5b172e05.png

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!

Last edited:

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Yes, let's get tonight's game out of our minds asap.

Hoping to finally see some scraps tomorrow night

Tyler Biggs*

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/10/24/maple_leafs_decide_to_keep_rookie_morgan_rielly.html

He earned it.

Tough one though. I'm old-school - teenage D-men should go back to junior but Rielly looks years ahead of his age and going back to junior will be a joke for him. It'll all come down to his psyche. If nothing fazes him, he'll be fine. But he has to remain focused every game. On another note, when all Leaf regulars come back, hope they resemble some form of last year's team. Toughness and forechecking will be a welcome sight. I was not liking the Leafs past few weeks. I said it before, last year's success and identity was due to a deadly combo of physical toughness and speed. Nonis should've tried harder to agree contractually with Komarov. He energized the team. Hope Leafs don't forget their identity.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I know that we're going to win. we tend to do well against the Penguins. it will be an entertaining game that's for sure.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Since the Leafs didn't allow any goals or assists to Towes, Kane, and Hossa when they played Chicago and to Perry and Getzalf when they played Anaheim, what are the chances that can happen against Crosby, Malkin, and Kuntiz? I know that's a hard thing to do and I one way to make sure is not to take any or very few penalties.

Asif16*

Guessing its gonna be high scoring game. Hopefully we come out to play.

And for the love of god can we please see some fights??

Pitts has Engellland, glass and adams.

I wouldnt mind seeing another Orr/Engelland bout

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Is Colton scared after what happened with Parros? YOU'RE PAID TO FIGHT. GO FIGHT.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Is Colton scared after what happened with Parros? YOU'RE PAID TO FIGHT. GO FIGHT.
I can't remember if that same question was asked on TSN or Sportsnet, but it was and the response was this. After what happened with Parros, the Leafs didn't play any other teams who had the heavy weight fighters like a Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren. So Orr didn't get a chance to fight.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
really wished we won the CBJ game so we could afford to lose this one. we always have a tough time vs pens @ ACC.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What is everyones bets at how long it takes Glenn Healy to start talking about how great Crosby is because of a play he made and says something negative the Leafs did?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I barely care we lost to Columbus. I want Pittsburgh!

Huge statement game coming up.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
What is everyones bets at how long it takes Glenn Healy to start talking about how great Crosby is because of a play he made and says something negative the Leafs did?

Exactly as long as it takes for Crosby to make a great play and the Leafs to screw something up.

Stunning that a commentator would dare to enter such outrageously forbidden territory.

:laugh:

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
JVR's after game interview made me happy, to hear a player acknowledge the problems the team has like he did. I got a feeling they're gonna come out to play hard tonight.

I really hope Carlyle gave them a **** kicking last night and they start to turn things around. It reminds me of last year when Toronto curb stomped Montreal on the scoreboard and in fights, Montreal actually became relevant after that game.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I really hope Leafs fans don't complain about CBC having a hardon for Crosby.

He is the best player in the league, and playing like one. Deal with it.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
I really hope Leafs fans don't complain about CBC having a hardon for Crosby.

He is the best player in the league, and playing like one. Deal with it.

Just because you have a woody for Crosby doesn't mean everyone has to. There's more going on in the game people want to hear about other than than how big and nice Crosby's dick is. Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad