Toronto vs Montreal in the 2002 Eastern Conference Final, who wins that series?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Chances are if Montreal does not blow their 3-0 3rd period lead against Carolina in Game 4 of the 2002 Eastern Conference Semi-Final series, they go up 3-1 and most likely end up winning that series which would have given us Toronto vs Montreal in the 2002 Eastern Conference Final. So if that happened which one of those teams goes onto to the Stanley Cup Final?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I actually would have liked Montreal’s chances considering Toronto had just played back to back 7 game series and, save for the 2014 LA Kings, going 7 games in rounds 1 and 2 does not bode wel (see: 2002 Avs)

Leafs get a fresher opponent even that other series result changes. (Unless you give TOR a shorter series vs. OTT/NYI)

Plus, we weren’t that far off removed from a similarly not that stacked Sabres team riding a god mode hot goalie. Heck, they had actually had beaten a Toronto in the East Finals (with some of those guys still on this team)

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
That missed call for a double minor high sticking penalty and broken Craig Rivet stick on a penalty kill soon after still haunt me.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I am going to say Toronto and not just because I am a Leafs fan. They were better. The Habs rode Theodore all year and had little else outside of that. It would have been nice to see though. While there were a couple of lopsided wins by the Habs in 1978 and 1979 the truth is we haven't seen a real playoff series between these two since 1967 and that is too long! Let's hope for 2019.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I actually would have liked Montreal’s chances considering Toronto had just played back to back 7 game series and, save for the 2014 LA Kings, going 7 games in rounds 1 and 2 does not bode wel (see: 2002 Avs)

Leafs get a fresher opponent even that other series result changes. (Unless you give TOR a shorter series vs. OTT/NYI)

Plus, we weren’t that far off removed from a similarly not that stacked Sabres team riding a god mode hot goalie. Heck, they had actually had beaten a Toronto in the East Finals (with some of those guys still on this team)
Since Toronto would have had home ice against Montreal that season would that have made any difference in the outcome? I know they had played 7 games against the Islanders and Senators, but they previously had home ice in those series and when Toronto actually played Carolina they did not have home ice against them.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The Leafs team was MUCH better on paper, that is sure.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
@ChrisK97

I forgot to mention this. Since you mentioned how Montreal would have been a fresher opponent if they win their series against Carolina in 5 games, let's not forget that Ottawa had eliminated Philadelphia in 5 games during the first round and Toronto still defeated them despite going to 7 games against the Islanders.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Toronto lost to an inferior opponent in the Conference Finals(Canes). Had they played Montreal, I would've taken the Habs. Joseph seemed to be a goalie that would steal a first round series, then get considerably worse as the postseason went on.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
As a side note, as a hockey fan, I don't really care for a potential (and actually probable) Leafs/Canadiens matchup. Nice possibility, but not optimal as far as I'm concerned.

Ideally, Canadiens and Bruins finish 2nd and 3rd (can be the other way around) in the Atlantic; Leafs finish 4th, but WC1, and end up facing the Islanders.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I am going to say Toronto and not just because I am a Leafs fan. They were better. The Habs rode Theodore all year and had little else outside of that. It would have been nice to see though. While there were a couple of lopsided wins by the Habs in 1978 and 1979 the truth is we haven't seen a real playoff series between these two since 1967 and that is too long! Let's hope for 2019.

Leafs were better than Canes as well :sarcasm:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

To be honest, Saku Koivu was back for the playoffs and playing rather well, giving the Canadiens a frankly decent center line. The reminder of the forwards ... weren't that great (translation : not playoff-material), and the defense was average-at-best (Brisebois and Rivet were not, ever, legit top-minutes material, unless you have to do something in a pinch; however, those playoofs were arguably Sheldon Souray's breaking out party, and, all-in-all, that group, comprising also a still-green Andrei Markov, Stephane Quintal and Karl Dykhuis, played a bit better than the sum of their part; Robidas was also on that team, but miscast on LD and had a terrible season)
Now, why exactly Bill Lindsay took that DZ faceoff?

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Toronto lost to an inferior opponent in the Conference Finals(Canes). Had they played Montreal, I would've taken the Habs. Joseph seemed to be a goalie that would steal a first round series, then get considerably worse as the postseason went on.
The same way Toronto lost to an inferior opponent in Carolina, you do remember that Montreal also lost to them.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I remember the Leafs constantly gooning it up against Carolina. I suspect this series would have seen even more of that.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I remember a lot of things from TOR/CAR, but not gooning:

Late game tying goals
Lots of OT
Toronto was ahowing the effects of back to back 7 game wars
Pat Quinn actually missed a game and someone else had to coach
Road ice advantage

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I honestly don't remember that and I'm not saying that as a Leafs fan. Do you have any video clips from YouTube to back up that claim?
Not sure about Youtube clips but I remember Roberts, Domi, Tucker, and Corson always throwing their weight around in those playoffs. They were always looking to start something after scrums. Not a secret when you look at their roster. That was their biggest advantage over a much softer Carolina team. Montreal was similar to Carolina in that sense.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure about Youtube clips but I remember Roberts, Domi, Tucker, and Corson always throwing their weight around in those playoffs. They were always looking to start something after scrums. Not a secret when you look at their roster. That was their biggest advantage over a much softer Carolina team. Montreal was similar to Carolina in that sense.
I remember the Leafs throwing their weight around against the Islanders and Senators, although it's not like they were not getting right back against them. For example all the games on the road against the Islanders Steve Webb would not stop hitting any Leafs he could while he was on the ice, although the games in Toronto he was no where to be found. Plus there is also the example of when Daniel Alfredsson hit Darcy Tucker from behind with an illegal dirty hit in Game 5 right before the game winning goal.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I think Montreal would have won. The Leafs were banged up and tired after two gruelling 7 game series. They didn't beat the Canes, so I don't see them beating Montreal.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Chances are if Montreal does not blow their 3-0 3rd period lead against Carolina in Game 4 of the 2002 Eastern Conference Semi-Final series, they go up 3-1 and most likely end up winning that series which would have given us Toronto vs Montreal in the 2002 Eastern Conference Final. So if that happened which one of those teams goes onto to the Stanley Cup Final?
Montreal was going on all emotion that playoff year. Koivu had comeback from cancer on the eve of playoffs. In a very inspiring game in Montreal. Which really motivated his teammates. Zednik was on fire as was Theodore.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Montreal was going on all emotion that playoff year. Koivu had comeback from cancer on the eve of playoffs. In a very inspiring game in Montreal. Which really motivated his teammates. Zednik was on fire as was Theodore.

Zednik was also very injured

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Zednik was also very injured
Zednik was playing like Lafleur in '76, until that elbow. Doug Gilmour talks in depth about this playoff year in his book. Good read. Inspiration from Koivu return also made Therrein bit of legend for short term. Always bad with good I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->