Toronto vs Colorado in the 1999 and 2002 Stanley Cup Final, who wins between them?

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I’d expect a Colorado victory, but Curtis Joseph has beaten arguably a better Colorado team with less support, so I’d never count him out. He played a great Conference Final in 2002, so if Toronto somehow got past Carolina, I might actually bet on them just to look smart if they pulled it off. Plus that just okay Avalanche team was held together by Forsberg, Roy, de Vries, and good intentions.

1999 seems a little more slanted towards Colorado if they’re healthy enough. Rookies were as lethal as their star players.

Reactions: The Pale King

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Is there any phase in the game where Toronto is better? I can't think of any.
They were better at the rough side of the game. That team had Domi, Roberts, Corson, Tucker, McCabe, Belak. They could impose themselves physically on the other team. Colorado didn't have as much in that department. I suppose they could put Parker out there, but he was too much of a liability to log big minutes.

The flip side would be that rough play often leads to bad penalties. Colorado's powerplay was very good from what I remember. Toronto would have to play on the edge but not go over it.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Problem is, the Leafs were in that situation as well, maybe even worse. They went 7 games in an absolute war with the Islanders and then 7 against Ottawa. Not sure how healed up Sundins wrist was, Tucker was supposed to miss the rest of the playoffs and returned and was most likely playing hurt, IIRC Roberts was banged up and gassed from carrying the team on his back during the Ottawa series, and guys like Lumme and Valk were banged up.

Thanks for the info Shelby.....I didn't remember/know Toronto had key guys playing hurt/unavailable as well. That would level the field significantly and probably tilt things in the Avs favor. Especially reading Sundin having a hurt wrist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad