Proposal: Toronto - STL - Washington

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
If we dont come out with Liljegren at the draft, i'd consider it but its just too much now that we do have a dman who can take that role within the next 3 years.

And who knows which dmen are swimming around the Leafs range come draft day, both Bouchards, Addison, maybe even Hughes.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If we dont come out with Liljegren at the draft, i'd consider it but its just too much now that we do have a dman who can take that role within the next 3 years.

And who knows which dmen are swimming around the Leafs range come draft day, both Bouchards, Addison, maybe even Hughes.

Lol, it's the most ridiculous thing to hear from a Toronto fan. Your fanbase will demand Babcock's head after a few bad games in the COMING SEASON, and you say you gotta wait for 3 years. Aren't you an Ottawa fan in disguise?

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I think the 1st from Toronto is much . Nylander is no slouch easy 70 Point winger IMO. 61 points rookie year and he started on the 3d line. 1 for 1 i think it would be a fair trade not sure i'd part with him tho

adding the 1st just tilts this trade way to much.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Ah...so Liljegren will be a top pairing dman within 3 years?

By no means am I saying you have to make any trades, but that's very optimistic outlook to pin your hopes on. I will easily agree that the Leafs arent pressed to find their top pairing dman...and thats if they even need it. They may be able to find success the same way Pittsburgh did. There's more then one formula to winning the Cup

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The Leafs really don't need any offense from the blueline. Liljegren, Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, etc... The Leafs are better off keeping a player like Nylander and just getting some defensive blueliners like Hainsey to fill the void.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
No from the Leafs.

Wouldn't trade Nylander straight up for either Kuzy or Parayko, let alone adding a 1st.

No thanks from the Capitals.

Blues are not trading Parayko.

And the three of you can go and sulk in your corner... :pout:

Pretty sure all 3 teams say No, Toronto isn't trading Nylander St Louis isn't trading Parayko and Washington isn't trading Kuznetsov.

Bring them water.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I know stats aren't everything, but Nylander outscored Kutz last year. And Kutz makes an inflated salary. Washington should be delighted to get Nylander for Kutz even up.

I know so many folks think that the Leafs are so desperate to get a better Dman at all costs. Why?
How has it really helped the Blues and Caps all these years with their highly paid and regarded Dmen?
Kings and Tampa finished out of the playoffs with maybe the two top Dmen in the league.
Pens win the Cup with a mediocre with defence.

I'm the type who puts more value on the offensive side of hockey than the defense. The Pittsburgh example is going to be extremely hard to duplicate by any other franchise. Crosby + Malkin. The Pens have also had great goaltending in the playoffs. Toronto and Edmonton currently have goalies a tier below the Pens.

Parayko is 24 while Pietrangelo is 27. I'll make a bold statement and predict Parayko is better overall within 2 years. Parayko for Nylander isn't insulting but to this point Nylander is a winger. If Parayko were being dealt it would only make sense for a legitimate, young center. Think Barkov or MacKinnon types.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Skinner scored more than Nylander in his rookie season being 2 years younger. Would you trade him for Parayko right now?

And Myers looked great as a rookie and sophomore too. See it goes both ways. You'll rarely find a bigger parayko fan than me but no way would I trade Nylander and a first.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'm the type who puts more value on the offensive side of hockey than the defense. The Pittsburgh example is going to be extremely hard to duplicate by any other franchise. Crosby + Malkin. The Pens have also had great goaltending in the playoffs. Toronto and Edmonton currently have goalies a tier below the Pens.

Parayko is 24 while Pietrangelo is 27. I'll make a bold statement and predict Parayko is better overall within 2 years. Parayko for Nylander isn't insulting but to this point Nylander is a winger. If Parayko were being dealt it would only make sense for a legitimate, young center. Think Barkov or MacKinnon types.

Nylander has played his entire career up to last season at C, and he will be 100% moved back there as early as the trade deadline.

his value will go up obviously, if he manages to get 70+pts he is in Draisaitl territory for value

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Nylander has played his entire career up to last season at C, and he will be 100% moved back there as early as the trade deadline.

his value will go up obviously, if he manages to get 70+pts he is in Draisaitl territory for value

Kuznetzov already had 70+ season, but it looks like Toronto fans don't think it matters.

Nylander right now is obviously the least proven player out of these three, and has been playing the least important position in the NHL out of these three as well. This is the fact and not a speculation.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Kuznetzov already had 70+ season, but it looks like Toronto fans don't think it matters.

Nylander right now is obviously the least proven player out of these three, and has been playing the least important position in the NHL out of these three as well. This is the fact and not a speculation.

well obviously. 3 years younger than parayko and 4 years younger than kuznetsov. might have something to do with it no?
Mcdavid is less proven than a guy like Patrick Kane, doesnt mean he isnt and won't be better.

also why would toronto fans care about Kuznetsov? he isnt the guy leaving or going to toronto in this terrible deal. 20 year old nylander outscored 24 year old kuznetsov last year. Kuznetsov wasnt even good until he was already 23 (and that was his draft +7).

Nylander is being transitioned to C. he has played it his entire career and showed he can handle it at the NHL level at the end of last season. If the leafs didnt land Matthews, Nylander would have been a top 6 C on this team. leafs arent take a winger discount on him just because Babs wants to get him adjusted to the NHL before moving him to C.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
well obviously. 3 years younger than parayko and 4 years younger than kuznetsov. might have something to do with it no?
Mcdavid is less proven than a guy like Patrick Kane, doesnt mean he isnt and won't be better.

also why would toronto fans care about Kuznetsov? he isnt the guy leaving or going to toronto in this terrible deal. 20 year old nylander outscored 24 year old kuznetsov last year. Kuznetsov wasnt even good until he was already 23 (and that was his draft +7).

Nylander is being transitioned to C. he has played it his entire career and showed he can handle it at the NHL level at the end of last season. If the leafs didnt land Matthews, Nylander would have been a top 6 C on this team. leafs arent take a winger discount on him just because Babs wants to get him adjusted to the NHL before moving him to C.

Kuznetsov was better, than Nylander at WJCs, and Kuznetsov is a better player right now. You obviously hate it, but who cares.

And this thread is about three teams. Toronto trades Nylander + 1st for Parayko, but Washington trades Kuznetsov for Nylander and 1st, that's why Kuznetsov vs Nylander matters.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO

Stop comparing your hypotheticals to reality if you want to be taken seriously.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
why does toronto give up the best player AND need to to throw in a pick on top?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
why does toronto give up the best player AND need to to throw in a pick on top?

Premium prices for top D. RHD with size and relatively young... Can play big minutes. Only an overpayment will pry one loose.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah, trading a better player PLUS a 1st round pick is more than a "premium".

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
yeah, trading a better player PLUS a 1st round pick is more than a "premium".

What if it was lottery protected and we get a third back?

Does Parayko plus the roster spot for say.. Kapanen or Soshy do anything for ya?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
that's a bunch of different pieces you named there. not sure what you mean exactĺy.

my point being that i wouldn't trade nylander for either of these players, let alone throw in a pick.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
that's a bunch of different pieces you named there. not sure what you mean exactĺy.

my point being that i wouldn't trade nylander for either of these players, let alone throw in a pick.

I just mentioned Kap/Sosh to illustrate who could slide into a top 9 RW vacancy. Not as trade pieces.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
let me put it this way - in terms of wsh and stl the last time they had 20yr old rookies as good as willy they were named backstrom and pietrangelo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad