Proposal: Toronto - STL - Washington

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'm not saying St Louis would or should trade Parayko, I'll leave that to their fan base, but as a Leaf fan, a Nylander/Parayko trade does have me raising my eyebrows in interest. A D corp that includes Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Parayko, not to mention Hainsey, Dermott and Liligren in the mix over the next few years would be very cost effective and potentially long term great if Gardiner were to be re-signed at a good price. At present, the top cost would be Parayko's 5.5/yr which is a great deal for a player of his abilities. Not many other 1st pairing D are signed for as long as he is and with Rielly at 5/yr that's a very solid base to grow your group of dmen. That said, we'd have to shed a contract or two to be able to work in Parayko's deal, as good as it is. Losing Nylander would suck, as he has some drool worthy talents and he might just end up being Toronto's Draisaitl. I know I'm ignoring the Washington component, sorry, but as a Leaf fan, fun proposal OP, well done.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I like this trade with no picks involved but why not just nylander for parayko?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I will bet you $100 he won't. Wouldn't be the first time a young star coming off a terrific rookie season struggles in his sophomore year.

Hope you got lots to spare cuz you'd be kissing that c note goodbye.

Toronto passes. No idea why they'd be the team adding a 1st.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Because wingers (no matter how good) don't get you young 6'6" RHD with top pairing potential signed long term. Leafs fans keep valuing Nylander as a C but no one else is going to do so unless he spends a full season there and still puts up points

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Because the Blues have other options to fill the center hole.

Toronto doesnt need to go all in and make a big trade. They have internal options and potential FA options to pursue before trading one of the 3.

Washington is just treading water at this point, if they couldn't do it the two previous years, then there's no hope.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Because quite frankly, Parayko is closer to plateauing as a good 2nd pairing guy than make the jump to top pairing quality.

Nylander as a rookie is already playing like a first line player, and especially if he transfers to centre.

He has a higher chance of reaching his potential and that's why the Leafs don't make the deal.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Because quite frankly, Parayko is closer to plateauing as a good 2nd pairing guy than make the jump to top pairing quality.

Nylander as a rookie is already playing like a first line player, and especially if he transfers to centre.

He has a higher chance of reaching his potential and that's why the Leafs don't make the deal.

Wow the logic in this statement is phenomenal. Of course Parayko is going to be on the 2nd pairing. We have Pietrangelo our captain ahead of him. You have absolutely no basis for what you are arguing. Well done.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Wow the logic in this statement is phenomenal. Of course Parayko is going to be on the 2nd pairing. We have Pietrangelo our captain ahead of him. You have absolutely no basis for what you are arguing. Well done.

By what metrics is he a top pairing level guy?

He's a great player, but in terms of skill level he's much closer to being a #3 than a top pairing guy.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

He's a great player, but in terms of skill level he's much closer to being a #3 than a top pairing guy.

You have nothing but opinions to back up what you are throwing out there. That's the problem. Sure he may be better off as a second line defender right now, but sayiing that Nylander has the potential to be a top line player and Parayko is plateuing is just criminal. I get it you are higher on your player than the other player. It's pretty typical.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Shutdown ablitiy plus putting up points? Points arent everything, but he will be getting greater PP time and offensive support with Shattenkirk gone. Its realistic to see him surpass 40pts. You package all of that in a 24yr old 6'6 player.....it safe to say he's top pairing quality. Sophomore seasons are rough on defenseman, look at Ghostisbere.....crashed hard once teams circled his name. Parayko increased his role and excelled. He's going to be playing 20-25mins a night, i don't know what else you can ask of him except to surpass Pietrangelo....which is a tall order, considering he's better then the entire Leafs Dcore.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Unlike 98% of the other proposals on this website.....this deal does not suck and each team does have reasons/needs why it could work. Not to say that it will, but good job OP, you keep on....being you!

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Classic HF post right here. Based on what... exactly? You're willing to bet $100 on the sophomore slump myth?

As to the post, Leafs aren't trading Nylander. I would love love love love love to get Parayko, but we're not trading Nylander. Our team will be better off keeping Nylander and getting a B- solution on defense than trading Nylander to get an A+ solution on defense.

That's one of the worse reply I saw on HF, you're a classic ******** poster.

B- solution, get lost...leafs will be leafs

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You have nothing but opinions to back up what you are throwing out there. That's the problem. Sure he may be better off as a second line defender right now, but sayiing that Nylander has the potential to be a top line player and Parayko is plateuing is just criminal. I get it you are higher on your player than the other player. It's pretty typical.

It's a matter of age. Most players tend to not elevate their game once they hit 24/25. That's right in the middle of a players prime. Nylander is only 20 and as more opportunity to grow.

He's good, but he's also getting much more sheltered usage that's helped his offense.

If we want to consider him a top pairing quality guy, then we're setting a pretty low bar for that type of player.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Even 2D is worth more, than top line winger, especially a pretty average one, like Nylander...

Then the Blues should be overjoyed they get to keep their D man. Parayko is not the answer to the Leafs needs, certainly not at the cost of one of their core pieces of their rebuild in Nylander

You also must have a different understanding of the definition of "average" than most people

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Just leave washington out. They are winning huge.

Nylander for Prakyo is probably fair.

It's one of those trades that will be hard for both teams to stomach regardless

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I know stats aren't everything, but Nylander outscored Kutz last year. And Kutz makes an inflated salary. Washington should be delighted to get Nylander for Kutz even up.

I know so many folks think that the Leafs are so desperate to get a better Dman at all costs. Why?
How has it really helped the Blues and Caps all these years with their highly paid and regarded Dmen?
Kings and Tampa finished out of the playoffs with maybe the two top Dmen in the league.
Pens win the Cup with a mediocre with defence.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It's a matter of age. Most players tend to not elevate their game once they hit 24/25. That's right in the middle of a players prime. Nylander is only 20 and as more opportunity to grow.

He's good, but he's also getting much more sheltered usage that's helped his offense.

If we want to consider him a top pairing quality guy, then we're setting a pretty low bar for that type of player.
That doesn't apply to defensemen as much forwards.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

24 is generally not the prime of a defenseman. Also, in regards to age meaning they'll grow not necessarily gauranteed.

Also, I hope to god you aren't saying Paraykos role helped him with offense. He plays PP,PK and ES. Regardless of what little advanced metric you are reading he's. Not an offensive defenseman. He's an all situations type of guy. Also, the only thing that's going to help his offense in the system he was in last year is a stick that doesn't break 50% of the time he takes a slapshot.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->