Proposal: Toronto - STL - Washington

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Kapanen slides into RW vacancy (there's no room for him right now)

Imagine RD depth for the Leafs with Parayko in couple of years?

Rielly Parayko
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Liljegren

Matthews
Kadri
(FA signing or maybe someone like Brooks seizes the opportunity)
Gauthier

Winger depth is pretty well stacked.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
As stated a hundred times over. Blues don't have the RD depth to comfortably trade Parayko. If we do Bortuzzo is our RD2 and would have to play 15-20 minutes or Schmaltz would have to play 15-20 minutes. The ladder is the most realistic option as we have no idea what he's capable of at the NHL level or if he's even capable at all.

As for Kuznetsov I'd love to see him center Tarasenko but we just really are tied up here in deals involving Parayko/Pietro

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Trading Nylander leave a big hole in the Leafs lineup in the future (#2C) and kills their ability to roll 3 scoring lines. They don't have any prospects who have a good chance of becoming a 2C shortly and don't have the cap to sign a FA center.

Nylander, Marner and Matthews aren't going to be traded. I know people hope that the cap crunch causes the Leafs to have to trade 1 of them but there are many successful teams with 3 players on large cap hits. Particularly the past decade of Stanley Cup champions pretty much.

I feel like after the year the rookies had the anti-Leafs narrative has swapped to "LOL you won't be able to even afford your own players, good look trying to sign all 3 etc etc". The previous summer it was all about how Marner would never make it in the NHL due to his size, that Nylander is a floater, Matthews won't be a number 1 C in his rookie year etc etc. Leaf hates are very glass half full in their hating of the leafs

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Love that the Leafs have the youngest, cheapest, most cost controlled talent in the deal but still get gouged for another pick.

It's HFboards so all Leafs are scum. Deal will look bad when every Parayko turn over would be exaggerated in a Leafs uniform to the point he's untradeable.

Hard pass from Toronto

And who aspires to get Kuznetsov given his garbage extension? 7.8 for 59 points, puke.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Very interesting proposal.

Never easy to convince both teams if you include high caliber players. You went out and tried it with three teams and did actually quite well.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Love that the Leafs have the youngest, cheapest, most cost controlled talent in the deal but still get gouged for another pick.

It's HFboards so all Leafs are scum. Deal will look bad when every Parayko turn over would be exaggerated in a Leafs uniform to the point he's untradeable.

Hard pass from Toronto

And who aspires to get Kuznetsov given his garbage extension? 7.8 for 59 points, puke.

He had 77 point season without McDavid and still earns less than Draisaitl.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't know. Nylander has the potential to be a PPG C.. I think as soon as next offseason he will be seen in the same way Draisatl is now. Not sure I trade him, even for a good D like Parayko..

Leafs defensive problem is overblown anyways, I would prefer to wait and see. If the defense is still a problem next offseason, it can be dealt with after the big 3 are extended and the Organization knows how Lilegren projects.

Worst case scenario, Doughty has mentioned that he would like to play for the Leafs. I think he leaves LA if they miss the playoffs again the next two years.
This is the way i see it. Blues can potentially fill the center spot with Tavares or Duchene if they arent extended. Just as the leafs can be patient and see what pops up in FA or a cheaper trade. Neither team needs to fill a hole with a premium trade

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As a Leaf fan, you didn't do too badly, but don't think I move a 1st with Nylander to make the deal happen.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Parayko is a top pair stud. If the Leafs could steal him, that would be great for them.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Actually value wise it's good deal for all teams.
But the Leafs might have thought of moving Nylander to centre, so his importance to the team in 2018 might grow as Bozak is gone.

I know Parayko would help the Leafs defence. The Leafs overfall defensive play was poor early last year with so many new players and 9 rookies. It wasn't just the defensemen.
But Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, and Hainsey look solid. And Carrick in second year can improve. So the Leafs really weakness is the 6th man....Marincin and NHL depth behind Marincin. Leafs are hoping Dermot can make the jump from the AHL. So I don't understand all this doom and gloom about the Leafs defence that so many write about.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I think Nylander will be a star, but I would deal him for Parayko (straight swap). We have enough offensive forwards to fill the gap. Leafs need to keep the puck out of the net, not score more goals.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Toronto - Parayko
STL - Kuznetsov
Washington - Nylander + Toronto's 2018 1st

Why Toronto - they get a stud RD, and their defense has instantly improved from average at best to one of the league's best

Why STL - they get a very good (amazing?) offensive center and Tarasenko's old teammate

Why Washington - they get a very good young player, 1st round pick on a very deep draft, Backstrom mentoring factor and a lot of cap space (for just a year, but still).

this deal works better with Toronto out of it.

overpayment on Parayko and under on Kuznetsov

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
As stated a hundred times over. Blues don't have the RD depth to comfortably trade Parayko. If we do Bortuzzo is our RD2 and would have to play 15-20 minutes or Schmaltz would have to play 15-20 minutes. The ladder is the most realistic option as we have no idea what he's capable of at the NHL level or if he's even capable at all.

As for Kuznetsov I'd love to see him center Tarasenko but we just really are tied up here in deals involving Parayko/Pietro

I've always liked Bortuzzo...and wanted him, when he was free last.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Actually value wise it's good deal for all teams.
But the Leafs might have thought of moving Nylander to centre, so his importance to the team in 2018 might grow as Bozak is gone.

I know Parayko would help the Leafs defence. The Leafs overfall defensive play was poor early last year with so many new players and 9 rookies. It wasn't just the defensemen.
But Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, and Hainsey look solid. And Carrick in second year can improve. So the Leafs really weakness is the 6th man....Marincin and NHL depth behind Marincin. Leafs are hoping Dermot can make the jump from the AHL. So I don't understand all this doom and gloom about the Leafs defence that so many write about.

We're bottom 3rd in GA.
We should do, what others said to. Draft one.
We have some just under NHL talent, and we'll what we can do with them.

The goal this year should to move from bottom 3rd to middle of the pack.

Some criticism is quite over the top though.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
Toronto - Parayko
STL - Kuznetsov
Washington - Nylander + Toronto's 2018 1st

Why Toronto - they get a stud RD, and their defense has instantly improved from average at best to one of the league's best

Why STL - they get a very good (amazing?) offensive center and Tarasenko's old teammate

Why Washington - they get a very good young player, 1st round pick on a very deep draft, Backstrom mentoring factor and a lot of cap space (for just a year, but still).

Why would Toronto give up Nylander+ 1st??????

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Brutal. This is like Kuznetsov for Johansson and a 1st.

Just give us Parayko instead and let the leafs keep all their amazing top 5 players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad