OT: Toronto Rock moving to Hamilton (will still play as Toronto)

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/toronto-rock-relocated-hamilton-1.6021661

Despite the move, and a history of intense sports rivalry between Hamilton and Toronto, the team's name will remain the same.

Dawick said a change was considered, but stressed that even though the team is relocating, he believes nothing has really changed.

"I do get the rivalry between Hamilton and Toronto but it's bigger than that," he said, adding that as the only team in Ontario, the Rock represent the entire province, especially the GTHA.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Or Ontario ala Florida, Colorado, Arizona, Minnesota etc.
Golden Horshoe Rock
GTHA Rock

I kid, but a more inclusive name makes sense. Moving it to Hamilton and calling it Toronto will lose attendance coming from Toronto, and will be a hardsell on locals in Hamilton. You're banking on out of towners who don't really know or care otherwise

Could rework the logo too, to make the rock in question actually part of the Escarpment

Reactions: justashadowof

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Golden Horshoe Rock
GTHA Rock

I kid, but a more inclusive name makes sense. Moving it to Hamilton and calling it Toronto will lose attendance coming from Toronto, and will be a hardsell on locals in Hamilton. You're banking on out of towners who don't really know or care otherwise
I agree, it's a dumb decision.

Why not appeal to the whole country? Canada Caribou. Canada Moose. Canadian Shields? Lol

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
If they really don't want to rename to Hamilton change to Ontario Rock. Only die hard fans living in Toronto will make the trip.

Unless they are planning for this to be a one-year thing and go back to Toronto.

Reactions: justashadowof

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Do they want to fail? How about a compromise like the Ontario Rock or Golden Horseshoe Rock (I know awkward)?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Does anyone know the demographics of people who attended Toronto Rock games? I would have guessed that it was largely people east of the city than west of the city.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Does anyone know the demographics of people who attended Toronto Rock games? I would have guessed that it was largely people east of the city than west of the city.

I went to games basically a meetup with my friends on the East. Game doesn't even matter it's something to do while we catch up.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Golden Horshoe Rock
GTHA Rock

Could rework the logo too, to make the rock in question actually part of the Escarpment

Good idea.

I was thinking The Golden Horseshoe Golden Horseshoes :nod:

Reactions: uncleben

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think Hamiltonians will tell them to suck rocks.

The name thing just doesn't work.

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Box Lacrosse these days is HUGE in Oakville and I know a ton of families (including my own) who went to Rock games frequently and don't care about this change. Obviously that's not to speak for everyone but I wouldn't be surprised if we make up a huge chunk of regular viewers and we're all friends with the Dawicks (we'll get free tickets all the time)

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm surprised there isn't another venue besides SBA they could've used in the GTA instead of going all the way to Hamilton. Oh well. Keeping Toronto Rock isn't smart, Ontario Rock would be best.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It is, but this is probably partly about capacity, partly getting away from MLSE. Too bad the Bulldogs lose a bunch of Saturday afternoon dates.
If they have the capacity to do so a hockey game at 1PM followed by a NLL game at 8pm would be freaking awesome. I was a Titans STH for their brief history and around 2010 I went to a Flyers game at 1 and they had an offer for discounted tixs for the Wings game that night so I stuck around for it. There are very few sporting events I've had a more fun time at than that Wings game. I keep telling all my friends if they miss old time hockey box lax is for them.

Reactions: Roadhog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->