OT: Toronto Remembers

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's a long offseason. This is meant to be a not so serious thread. I am hoping people share their memories or link old articles on the leafs. It's still really fun to reflect on where this team has come from (glory and misery).

Since we are talking a bit about who might be the next leaf captain, I just wanted to share this old National Post story on Cody Franson.

Should Toronto Maple Leafs’ Cody Franson be the team’s next captain?

Edit- post old articles, pictures, glory, controversy, etc

Reactions: Menzinger and qqaz

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I always wondered how things would've turned out if the Tomas Kaberle for Jeff Carter & 2008 1st Round Pick wasn't blocked by Kaberle.

Carter broke out the next season for 80+ points, and the 1st rounder, assuming we still took Schenn at #5, likely could've been Jordan Eberle.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I always wondered how things would've turned out if the Tomas Kaberle for Jeff Carter & 2008 1st Round Pick wasn't blocked by Kaberle.

Carter broke out the next season for 80+ points, and the 1st rounder, assuming we still took Schenn at #5, likely could've been Jordan Eberle.
Carter was a hell of a player during that time. We might have had a different path if he were a leaf.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
leetch_brian-1040x572.jpg

tumblr_ma5ihl8vbN1rgqo6ko1_400.png

Toronto Remembers

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
9-2 Nashville...Sometimes you got to look aback at the bad things to appreciate the good.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

It was rumoured that Vancouver was willing to trade Kesler + 1st for Sundin, which he also blocked. Imagine prime Carter and Kesler down the middle.

Reactions: smitty10

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
9-2 Nashville...Sometimes you got to look aback at the bad things to appreciate the good.

Most of those guys are not even NHLers anymore, and I think Rielly is the only one who is still a Leaf.

Good riddance.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
From Sundin to Matthews, almost everything was dark. It's a span I'd rather not remember.

So how about I go farther back? Remember constantly beating the Sens in the playoffs? That was fun. Or how about Sundin's buzzer beater against carolina in the 2002 ECF? I had to look that one up, because I didn't remember the specifics.

Reactions: mclaren55

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
miroslav-ihnacak-of-the-toronto-maple-leafs-skates-against-the-new-picture-id904000494

Miroslav Ihnacak had an auspicious debut scoring a goal in his first game. He came with considerable hype as a former Czechoslovakian scoring star. Some Leafs' fans dreamed mightily, others saw he was worst skater on the ice.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
From Sundin to Matthews, almost everything was dark. It's a span I'd rather not remember.

That era was no where dark as the mid 70s and 80s. Ballard was crazy AF. I started watching the Leafs in the mid 80s and they got dummied consistently but scored 3 to 5 goals a night. As a kid it was still entertaining.

If you are ever bored and want to read about Ballard in a entertaining manner, check out Joel Cadieux twitter or instagram. He is doing Harold Ballards bio with Lego. Here is the first story, and has dozens of them.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Revisiting the Gretzky hattrick in Game 7, 1993, the closest the Leafs came to playing for the cup in my lifetime, it was almost sickening to rewatch the those three goals.

. . . 1st one, I'm sure almost no one remembers, but it was actually our best player Gilmour who gave away the puck to Kurri on the pp, Kurri let himself get rubbed out after passing the puck perfectly (eliminating the 2nd D man) and on a 2 on 1, McSorely passed back and Gretz took it off his skate and didn't miss despite the sharp angle.
Alright, chalk one up to bad luck / bad giveaway.

2nd one, a harmless 3 on 3 rush turns into a brutal Manderville poke check/skate by on Gretz, and of course he buries it low from the slot, Ugh.

Then the third was . . .just, worse than a knife in the back.
After the Leafs had been pressing, comeback was coming with 4 minutes left, Gretzky on a LONE MAN RUSH is played well defensively by Todd Gill, steered around the net, and he oh-so casually with one hand expertly deflects it off Dave Ellet's skate into the corner of the net.

Very telling is that Joe Bowen calls it as "and as Gretzky attempts to centre it to nobody, it goes off Ellet's foot and in" . . . that should be the clue right there, Joe. Gretzky never centres to nobody, crimminy.

Anyways, thanks for making me go through that pain again, haven't relived that in a couple of years. But my absolute DREAM as a LEAFS FAN, is to be able to say - in 1, 5, 10, 20 years, doesn't matter - "I don't even remember that Gretzky hattty in game 7, man".
Because you know what that means.

We'll have either won a cup, or, I'll have Alzheimers.

Reactions: Tall Morty and qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad