Proposal: Toronto - Phoenix

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I beg to differ, he's a future top pairing dman. Phoenix likely wins this trade in the medium to long term. They aren't looking to have another 5 year rebuild and will need the defensive help once they trade OEL. This trade is a necessity for Phoenix, which needs to be noted.
Future top pairing d man which is exactly what the Leafs need, yet you’re willing to trade him for Crouse and a 2nd...

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Analytics should be and are valued more than whether or not a guy can hit.

With that said, Leafs need a guy that can hit, and they also have a glut of talented LD; so the trade works for them. However, the 2nd needs to be coming back from Phoenix, otherwise it's too lopsided.
oof.

Edit: more like WOOF. Always so funny how the deal works for LEAFS (in this case) as that's OP's team, but not for the other.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
oof.

Edit: more like WOOF. Always so funny how the deal works for LEAFS (in this case) as that's OP's team, but not for the other.
The OP states that this trade would happen once/if OEL departs Phoenix. Then yes, both teams would have that specific need.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Removing the 2nd rounder,

it really depends what your rationality is. If you like analytics, you will think the trade favors arizona. If you like hits, physical play, and then the trade favors toronto.

murray does have massive injury concerns, which is what depressed his value. He also had a 4.6mil cap hit. Dermott is 2.5 years younger and can slide into the 2nd pairing of a rebuilding/retooling team. He’s expected to have a Bridge cap hit of 2-3mil.
Markus Nutivaara who is equal to Dermott and already has a bridge contract of 2.7m just got traded for a mediocre prospect. Dermott is not worth much at all. Maybe a 3rd or 4th.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver

With that said, Leafs need a guy that can hit, and they also have a glut of talented LD; so the trade works for them. However, the 2nd needs to be coming back from Phoenix, otherwise it's too lopsided.
Wait til you see the analytics on crouse!

Markus Nutivaara who is equal to Dermott and already has a bridge contract of 2.7m just got traded for a mediocre prospect. Dermott is not worth much at all. Maybe a 3rd or 4th.
I take dermott over nutivaara any day of the week. But the market is pretty depressed on dmen.

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
Most posters here in these boards have a static mentality about the current market. It is anything but static and some of the trades and signings already reflect that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

You are so wrong. WITH the 2nd, it's lopsided in Toronto's favour.

Reality is, Dermott has been a 3rd pairing Dman. He is in no way a future top pairing Dman. He MIGHT be a future middle pairing Dman.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I beg to differ, he's a future top pairing dman. Phoenix likely wins this trade in the medium to long term. They aren't looking to have another 5 year rebuild and will need the defensive help once they trade OEL. This trade is a necessity for Phoenix, which needs to be noted.
I stopped reading once i read he's a future top pairing dman.:laugh:
Do posters not think other s on this board also watch hockey.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
We can add grit and truculence from free agents. No need to trade a good young (and cheap) defenseman for it.

Value wise, the 2nd probably makes it an overpay for the coyotes, but there’s just no point for the Leafs. Dermott is exactly who we need.

Reactions: Duffman955

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Arizona already has a Dermott. His name is Jordan Oesterle.

Not interested in your sheltered D.

Yes, Dermott, who ranks in the 87th percentile in WAR (total impact), is comparable to Jordan f***in’ Oesterle, who ranks in the 5th; they’re truly one in the same. That’s just a marvellous comparison you’ve made there, chief.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Arizona already has a Dermott. His name is Jordan Oesterle.

Not interested in your sheltered D.

Jordan Oesterle is 28 years old. At this point, he "is what he is".

Travis Dermott is 23, with a long career of upside ahead of him. I don't think he's a top 2 defenceman long term, but I do believe he's a really solid top 4 guy given the right role (which he's not going to get in Toronto).

In terms of "worth" -- Dermott in theory should be "worth" more than Crouse. However, with the glut of available defenceman, the fact that Arizona needs to add picks, not subtract, the fact that Toronto probably needs to make this deal more than Arizona does, and the somewhat unique attributes that Crouse brings -- I think this deal makes a lot more sense straight up.

Coyotes get a 23 year old defenceman that they can likely throw right onto the 2nd pair alongside a Jason Demers -- somebody who they could probably get for 3 years under $2m. From a dollar perspective, I think you can structure his deal something like $1.3 - $1.6 - $2.2; so you spend less than you would with Crouse over the next 2 years, and get that 3rd "bonus year" at a really good cap hit.

Leafs get a 23 year old that they can likely throw right into their top 6, and get a lot more offence out of him than Arizona has because of the talent they have and the style of play they employ.

Both teams get guys that are under-utilized in their current roles, and both likely benefit from the change in scenery.

Toronto trades Andreas Johnsson elsewhere for futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad