Proposal: Toronto- Philadelphia

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Seguin was also 21 and not 24, 6 years post draft :laugh:

No team is paying valuable assets for a guy who hasn't been a C at the NHL level by the age of 24. We saw how well that worked out with Drouin
Let’s be serious though, Drouins acquisition by Montreal was more to give French speaking habs fans a wet dream than for on ice performance. If he’s from Ontario, that trade never happens. Just the way it is in poutinville

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Seguin was also 21 and not 24, 6 years post draft :laugh:

No team is paying valuable assets for a guy who hasn't been a C at the NHL level by the age of 24. We saw how well that worked out with Drouin

1600 faceoffs in the last 4 years (5th most on the leafs in that time) with a 51% win percentage but he can't play center lol ok buddy.

We'll keep Nylander unless its a no brainier deal.

Last edited:

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
1600 faceoffs in the last 4 years (5th most on the leafs in that time) with a 51% win percentage but he can't play center lol ok buddy.

Taking faceoffs isn't really the definition of a center-man. Nylander isn't stuck behind dept, why bother aquiring Kerfoot and not just move him to #3 c? What he did on team Sweden in the past is irrelevant at this point since if they come with a stacked team someone will get fired if they put him a head of Backstrom, Pettersson & Zib. Trying to sell him as anything other than 'A good/great winger that can fill in as a center if needed' is just disshonest.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Taking faceoffs isn't really the definition of a center-man. Nylander isn't stuck behind dept, why bother aquiring Kerfoot and not just move him to #3 c? What he did on team Sweden in the past is irrelevant at this point since if they come with a stacked team someone will get fired if they put him a head of Backstrom, Pettersson & Zib. Trying to sell him as anything other than 'A good/great winger that can fill in as a center if needed' is just disshonest.
Nylander is too talented for the third. It's better that Matthews and Tavares have Nylander and Marner on their wings.

Taking faceoffs doesn't mean he is a center, but it's certainly part of it, one of the hardest parts of it. Another hard part is playing a 200 ft game which he does.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Taking faceoffs does not make you a C. You do know there a million more responsibilities than just taking a faceoff right? Sometimes McDavid wouldn't take the faceoffs, does that mean he isn't one?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
If the Leafs sign Petro for 10 million per, it’s going to be Edmonton with Taylor Hall all over again. Every GM is going to be lining up to poach an asset like Nylander for pennies on the dollar. And with a flat cap, the Leafs will be in a rough spot. I don’t think many GM’s respect the way they’ve signed their deals, it’s made it more difficult to retain their own RFA’s. They’ll have to take cap back and much lesser assets. Their bottom 6 and bottom pairing will extremely challenging to fill out.

No, but that’s what you’d like to believe.

If the Leafs sign Petro they don’t need to do anything with Nylander, the loss comes with Rielly when he needs a new contract. Or they could trade Nylander, but rather than poach him, it would be more of an auction.

In the real world these GM’s aren’t trying to f*** one another over and create enemies. Mutually beneficial trades are always the aim.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
"The moment Keefe took over"

Go through stats in the league and look where he ranks basically in anything when Keefe took over November 20th.
It's funny according to Leafs fans you have:

Top 5C in Matthews
1C in Tavares
1C in Nylander (top30 forward)
Top10 winger in Marner
3 top pair Dman, Reilly being Norris contender
One of the best forward depths

Yet Leafs can't get out of the first round of the POs

Reactions: nbwingsfan

The90

Feb 27, 2017

Top 5C in Matthews
1C in Tavares
Top10 winger in Marner

... you know those things aren’t mutually exclusive right?

who are these 3 top pair d men?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Bit of an exaggeration on some of those.

Matthews is close to a top 5 C. It's not a reach. Top 10 if you prefer.

Tavares is easily a 1C.

Marner is close to a top 10 winger (finished 5th in points among wingers last season and was on track to do the same this season before injury) but the contract is rubbish IMO. HF had a vote last season and put him at #11.

Forward depth was indeed excellent (the team finished second in Goals For, 6th in PP%)

Leafs only have one top-pairing defenseman (Rielly). Muzzin is a good #3. This is agreed upon among Leafs fans and is the number one priority heading into the off-season. That's why there's the hype behind Pietrangelo.

And no, Nylander is not a 1C or a top 30 forward. But he's a solid, young asset with a good contract.

You're right the team didn't do well in the playoffs (technically didn't qualify for them :laugh:) but that has nothing to do with the quality of the listed players.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No, but that’s what you’d like to believe.

If the Leafs sign Petro they don’t need to do anything with Nylander, the loss comes with Rielly when he needs a new contract. Or they could trade Nylander, but rather than poach him, it would be more of an auction.

In the real world these GM’s aren’t trying to f*** one another over and create enemies. Mutually beneficial trades are always the aim.

Not all GM’s are friends, do you remember Burke and Lowe? What I’m saying is most GM’s will not be looking to do the Leafs any favours and will be looking for an opportunity to benefit their team.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
This is STILL going?

THE FLYERS DON’T HAVE THE CAP.

THE FLYERS DON’T HAVE A RHD TO PAIR WITH PROVOROV PAST THIS YEAR.

Unless the flyers are moving a high cost contract back, this makes zero sense to acquire Nylander. Of course, this makes it a nonsensical trade for the leafs to move nylander at all.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
It’s funny to see a fan base arguing over a players position. It’s even funnier when one of the fan bases has Giroux. Who isn’t a center. But does a lot of center things. And the other who has a guy that barely does any center things. And has pretty much played wing with injury to their centers being the exception.

Either way the proposal is crap

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018

Top 5C in Matthews
1C in Tavares
Top10 winger in Marner

Make it out of the first round they didn’t make it past the play ins, time to stop overhyping their players and realize that core isn’t going to win a cup and changes have to be made

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Not all GM’s are friends, do you remember Burke and Lowe? What I’m saying is most GM’s will not be looking to do the Leafs any favours and will be looking for an opportunity to benefit their team.

Of course, but not maliciously. Fans tend to add those intentions themselves.

Nylander doesn’t need to be moved in order to add Petro, although it would be ideal in the long run, so if he is made available GM’s will make offers - and other teams who are more sincere in wanting to acquire him will outbid them.

The same fan spirit behind “Nobody will be looking to do the Leafs any favours” was said during Nylander’s contract dispute. The result of that, per Bob Mackenzie, was that Carolina offered Pesce and a small plus, which Dubas foolishly turned down, countering with Slavin, which ended the talks. So what fans said would be “not doing any favours” inevitable was a completely fair offer.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017

Top 5C in Matthews
1C in Tavares
Top10 winger in Marner

He is?

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Just search “Rielly norris” there’s more than a handful
I mean he was not nominated.

so yes I saw comments like "i think Rielly instead of Hedman would make more sense. Hedman is great but i mean there’s a few guys that had better seasons and played 82 or a bit less"

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I mean he was not nominated.

so yes I saw comments like "i think Rielly instead of Hedman would make more sense. Hedman is great but i mean there’s a few guys that had better seasons and played 82 or a bit less"
Keep reading. There’s many that protest he should have been nominated

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007

Nylander doesn’t need to be moved in order to add Petro, although it would be ideal in the long run, so if he is made available GM’s will make offers - and other teams who are more sincere in wanting to acquire him will outbid them.

The same fan spirit behind “Nobody will be looking to do the Leafs any favours” was said during Nylander’s contract dispute. The result of that, per Bob Mackenzie, was that Carolina offered Pesce and a small plus, which Dubas foolishly turned down, countering with Slavin, which ended the talks. So what fans said would be “not doing any favours” inevitable was a completely fair offer.

I agree with you 100%. If, and that's a big if, he is made available, other teams would be willing to give up far more than the Flyers as he's less of a "need" for us, especially at the expense of our top rhd where we are severely lacking, than he would be for other teams. Others would be much more able and willing to offer TO what they'd want for Nylander than the Flyers would.

Thus, this thread needs to be locked up. The 2 teams don't make good trading partners for this type of deal and both sides are just getting into a pissing contest (some of which is fans on the same side arguing with each other). Let it go, not a good fit for either team.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

That would have been a pretty fair deal.

My 2 cents to this discussion is just to say I think Nylander is a very talented forward and I would be pleased to make a deal for him in a non-cap world. Then again, the Flyers would likely be heavily in on Pietrangelo in a non-cap world.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
That would have been a pretty fair deal.

My 2 cents to this discussion is just to say I think Nylander is a very talented forward and I would be pleased to make a deal for him in a non-cap world. Then again, the Flyers would likely be heavily in on Pietrangelo in a non-cap world.

And to be honest I never looked at the OP, I just didn’t like the notion GM’s were out to f*** each other over.

Having now looked, seeing Farabee involved is a giveaway that this thread was doomed.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
And to be honest I never looked at the OP, I just didn’t like the notion GM’s were out to f*** each other over.

Having now looked, seeing Farabee involved is a giveaway that this thread was doomed.

I would think it would be somewhere in the middle: not necessarily destroy another GM but definitely come out of it with more value than you gave away. I would doubt there were too many GMs who told Peter Chiarelli or Mike Milbury that he was giving too much for what he was receiving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->