Toronto Media Embarrasses Themselves Again re McDavid

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Toronto media and its sports fans consistently embarrass themselves, but I don't think this article is embarrassing. Actually, maybe it is--for the Oilers management.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Pray tell, do share who "we" is if im grasping at straws.

Fortunately the article provides an answer:

"So the rest of hockey should go break him out, so he can start a new life."

The whole "break McDavid out" thing is clearly a joke and a narrative device since such a thing isn't actually possible; the real thrust if the piece is how long mcDavid himself will put up with failure.

Assuming everything that comes out of Toronto is some sort of Leafs propaganda is a paranoid delusion.

You so quickly forget when the league should have thrown a "Mcbone" and rigged the draft for leafs.

Who said that?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Thanks.

The article seems fine to me. Its actually quite sympathetic to Oilers fans plight. Its directed square at the Oilers *braintrust* as it ought to be. Its reasonably funny and well written.

I even liked this part;

"Second place was Peter Chiarelli getting fired.
That happened late Tuesday night, when Edmonton’s general manager was canned during a 3-2 loss to the Detroit Red Wings. It happened right before the all-star weekend, so the franchise player can have a relaxing weekend answering questions about it in California. Sounds fun."

Think about that a bit. The Oilers firing Chiarelli at the time they did was a simple matter of their convenience. Did not one of the slanted foreheads think about Connor now being asked questions about this during his entire ASG break?

Connor is now having to deal with this. When the wags figure Connor is made of Teflon and they won't get anything that sticks they'll hunt down the German to see if he'll fire any torpedo's..

Connor already quipped "I'm here to have some fun, not to talk about this" Which is essentially a plaintive " leave me alone" plea but which is not likely to be heeded by Journalistic paparazzi.

This is what the org does to its players, and even its star players.

meanwhile Chiarelli is in a dark cave somewhere or hidden in a bombproof bunker, hasn't been asked any questions, hasn't been made to answer any and the players, as usual are picking up the pieces. With the media going after the only sentient signs of life they can find for answers. Its not like they're getting any intelligible answers from Nicholson.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This "get McDavid out of Edmonton" narrative is embarrassing for anyone who thinks he should. Simple as that.

The title is intended as a joke. Any reference to that contained in the article is clearly tongue and cheek. Humorous. Complete with mentions of smuggling files(jail) hacksaws, rappelling cliffs. All tongue in cheek references to imprisonment.

I feel like I'm mansplaining literary licence.

Reactions: Canada Drai

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Penis envy..
BTW
upload_2019-1-25_13-55-38.jpeg

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
The title is intended as a joke. Any reference to that contained in the article is clearly tongue and cheek. Humorous. Complete with mentions of smuggling files(jail) hacksaws, rappelling cliffs. All tongue in cheek references to imprisonment.

I feel like I'm mansplaining literary licence.

Didn't read any of the article tbh.
My statement still applies anyway.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn't read any of the article tbh.
My statement still applies anyway.

Don't judge an article by its title. Those are often edited and changed anyway to elicit hits or interest etc. In this case the title is intended, but only sarcastically. The article is fine. There is no secret plot to abscond McD from the ASG. At least I think so. ;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Fortunately the article provides an answer:

"So the rest of hockey should go break him out, so he can start a new life."

The whole "break McDavid out" thing is clearly a joke and a narrative device since such a thing isn't actually possible; the real thrust if the piece is how long mcDavid himself will put up with failure.

Assuming everything that comes out of Toronto is some sort of Leafs propaganda is a paranoid delusion.

Who said that?
Not really on topic but I’ll answer your question in case you missed it. Jeff Blair went into a rant after the McDavid draft. Said McDavid didn’t belong in Edmonton and after everything the Leafs have done for the league they should have found a way to rig the draft and send him Toronto. He appeared to be very serious saying it. He wasn’t the only one at the time but that stood out for me because I had been watching his show and saw the context in which it was said.

Cory Gray

Oct 9, 2018
What's the issue with this article... it's all true. The writer believes Connor deserves more and says that Connor is a true professional and hasn't requested a trade and that he thinks he should. The only way for Connor to get out of Edmonton is for Connor to do it (request a trade). All true. If the truth hurts... do something, don't buy tickets or Oiler's merchandise until the management gets the picture.

Either way.... if things don't change, and change by the Summer of 2020, I bet he does request a trade - the only way to prevent that is for the Oilers to play better and management to get a plan and execute it on the team building front.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Not really on topic but I’ll answer your question in case you missed it. Jeff Blair went into a rant after the McDavid draft. Said McDavid didn’t belong in Edmonton and after everything the Leafs have done for the league they should have found a way to rig the draft and send him Toronto. He appeared to be very serious saying it. He wasn’t the only one at the time but that stood out for me because I had been watching his show and saw the context in which it was said.

Thanks for the context. it's funny that the OP seems to think the Toronto media is amorphous and homogenous blob.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What's the issue with this article... it's all true. The writer believes Connor deserves more and says that Connor is a true professional and hasn't requested a trade and that he thinks he should. The only way for Connor to get out of Edmonton is for Connor to do it (request a trade). All true. If the truth hurts... do something, don't buy tickets or Oiler's merchandise until the management gets the picture.

Either way.... if things don't change, and change by the Summer of 2020, I bet he does request a trade - the only way to prevent that is for the Oilers to play better and management to get a plan and execute it on the team building front.

That is the solution. Pointing fingers at the critics just makes Oilers fans look like whiners.

What we should be doing is directing our outrage at the Oiler organization. Demanding better.
Once this organization becomes accountable and takes steps to become a winner that will quiet these types of articles permanently.

Expending our energy whining about writers (writing the truth) just makes us look like we deserve this garbage organization and dont deserve Connor McDavid.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad