Prospect Info: Toronto Marlies sign forward Martins Dzierkals to a one-year AHL contract

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
meh. didn't they offer him something before and he was like no, and then the Leafs did their business?

They gave him an offer last year (or at least in talks) but he opted to finish his degree.

This offseason it looked like an offer was coming but then looks like Leafs declined out of contract spot concerns.

It's not a devastating loss but think he has a chance at becoming a Reliable 4C

weems

Jul 3, 2008
He has elite speed with a elite motor.
His puck skills are decent enough that I feel pretty comfortable that he will play in the league for some body.

Could have a similar role to someone like Bryan Rust

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This is interesting because I thought teams had to offer a player a "bonifide offer" every year to prevent them from losing their rights. Which is essentially just any ELC offer, even the minimum. Now I'm not 100% certain about that, it could be just to keep their rights after the first year(which is why we lost Walker), but if true it's interesting that he would decline a league minimum ELC offer back in May/June and then take an AHL deal now. Maybe the AHL deal has him making more money now than an ELC deal in the minors who knows, or maybe I'm just wrong and it's only the first year they've got to make that bonifide offer to keep their rights for the duration.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Good to see.

I agree with those who see NHL potential in him: He's probably never going to be a top 6 guy but he's got the tools to be a Zach Hyman-type bottom 6er.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
This is interesting because I thought teams had to offer a player a "bonifide offer" every year to prevent them from losing their rights. Which is essentially just any ELC offer, even the minimum. Now I'm not 100% certain about that, it could be just to keep their rights after the first year(which is why we lost Walker), but if true it's interesting that he would decline a league minimum ELC offer back in May/June and then take an AHL deal now. Maybe the AHL deal has him making more money now than an ELC deal in the minors who knows, or maybe I'm just wrong and it's only the first year they've got to make that bonifide offer to keep their rights for the duration.

I think this depends on which league a player is drafted from, although I could be wrong here. Since Dzierkals was in a Russian league at the time of his draft, the Leafs retain his rights indefinitely (possible without having to offer him anything).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think this depends on which league a player is drafted from, although I could be wrong here. Since Dzierkals was in a Russian league at the time of his draft, the Leafs retain his rights indefinitely (possible without having to offer him anything).

Yeah that was my bad. The bonafide offers are only for the CHL and USHL it appears. It doesn't have anything to do with the lack of a transfer agreement with the KHL, just the NHL doesn't require bonafide offers for European leagues nor college players.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Some questionable NHL contracts handed out (like Candy) to Colin Greening, Chris Mueller, Vincent LoVerde as AHL vets to use up some of those 50.

You would think those AHL vets could get AHL deals and then your prospects get ELC contracts.

It was necessary. You need vets in the AHL, and they were too good for AHL deals. Greening is the one guy you could argue was only worth an AHL deal, but even he was very good in the AHL last year and likely would have got an NHL deal elsewhere. Marlies need his skill (especially with Gauthier down for a while) and leadership.

Regardless of whether we had spots, Dzierkals was only worth an AHL contract. He has been underwhelming both years in the QMJHL and potential is the only reason he is even getting what he got. Even if one year ELC's were a thing, he probably would not have got one. 3 years... Definitely not. He's far more likely to bust than to turn into anything at this point, and right now his chance to even play a depth role on the Marlies are slim to none.

Luckily he still has a ton of upside, but try telling that to Korostelev. It's not like he is much different... Both are going to need big years to warrant an ELC, and both are going to have to show it at lower levels than the AHL; ECHL for Dzierkals (if he decides not to go back to Europe) and OHL for Korostelev.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
All the best to him, I hope he proves that he deserves an ELC. I can't blame him for not wanting 3rd year in QMJHL. He wasn't a standout in the weakest of the 3 CHL leagues so it's a long shot.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
It was necessary. You need vets in the AHL, and they were too good for AHL deals. Greening is the one guy you could argue was only worth an AHL deal, but even he was very good in the AHL last year and likely would have got an NHL deal elsewhere. Marlies need his skill (especially with Gauthier down for a while) and leadership.

Regardless of whether we had spots, Dzierkals was only worth an AHL contract. He has been underwhelming both years in the QMJHL and potential is the only reason he is even getting what he got. Even if one year ELC's were a thing, he probably would not have got one. 3 years... Definitely not. He's far more likely to bust than to turn into anything at this point, and right now his chance to even play a depth role on the Marlies are slim to none.

Luckily he still has a ton of upside, but try telling that to Korostelev. It's not like he is much different... Both are going to need big years to warrant an ELC, and both are going to have to show it at lower levels than the AHL; ECHL for Dzierkals (if he decides not to go back to Europe) and OHL for Korostelev.

What makes you think he was underwhelming?
His rookie season he was very good and struggled a bit with injuries last term. He is nothing like Korostelev. Both have skill, but MD is a far superior skater.

I think he will surprise people and win a job with the Marlies.
The biggest thing with Dzerkals, IMO, he needs to get physically stronger.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

My point was if your draft picks are only worth AHL deals and not worthy of ELC deals based on their draft years +2 like Dzierkals and Korostelev then how good and how much potential do those picks have?

It seems like a make or break year in the AHL, and having to earn your 3 year ELC based on performance. That is different then Brooks or Bracco etc that earned theirs based on CHL performance (the usual route for promising prospects worthy of investment.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Leafs traded back twice in 2 different deals with 2 different teams remember?.

They traded #24 (Konecny) for #30 & #61(Bracco) with Philly.
&
Then they traded #30 (trading out of the 1st round) for #34 (Dermott) to add pick #68 (Dzierkals) with Arizona.

They traded 24 for 29 and 61 (bracco) and then traded 29 for 34 (dermott) and 68 (dzierkals). I still like the trades.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
for a guy who's production in the Q is less than what you'd expect from a prospect with NHL top 6 upside, his highlight reel certainly seems to disconnect - really seems to have some talent and it's a little strange that he couldn't put up more points in junior.

I will say that he seems to be a bit of a one-trick pony in terms of making moves, it's always getting the defender to bite on a move towards the net then making a move to the forehand side to get around him...which he seems to do with regularity, but it's a move to the perimeter in most cases so away from high-danger scoring areas

Looks very Soshnikov-esque, maybe a little better passing vision, and that's a good player to have kicking around to play in a bottom 6 role

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Was good in his 1st year, but didn't see a jump in production likely due to an injury plagued year. I think he will earn his ELC, they just want to be sure that he is good at the AHL before using the contract spot. If we weren't tight on contract spots, this player would earn an ELC no problem.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
for a guy who's production in the Q is less than what you'd expect from a prospect with NHL top 6 upside, his highlight reel certainly seems to disconnect - really seems to have some talent and it's a little strange that he couldn't put up more points in junior.

I will say that he seems to be a bit of a one-trick pony in terms of making moves, it's always getting the defender to bite on a move towards the net then making a move to the forehand side to get around him...which he seems to do with regularity, but it's a move to the perimeter in most cases so away from high-danger scoring areas

Looks very Soshnikov-esque, maybe a little better passing vision, and that's a good player to have kicking around to play in a bottom 6 role

He's a better skater than Soshnikov (not saying Sosh is bad) but Dzierkals is arguably the most explosive skater in our prospect pool.

Guys like him who are burners with great motors have places in the NHL the way the game is played nowadays.

Think Rust, Haula, Byron type.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
E

And those other 2 better hit, because Travis Konecy was taken with that pick

Those 28 points will be missed for 3 prospects that could end up being better.

If Dermott can play a steady 5-6D this year, I would take that over a player like Konecny.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Not surprising that he'd take the AHL deal, if he wants out of the Q but still wants to stay in North America. He's not making the Leafs this year, so there was no way we'd give him an NHL deal when he still has a year of overage eligibility and we're pushing up against the 50 SPC limit.

I still like his upside, and think he could be a nice mid-6 option. He's got skill and he isn't afraid of contact. This year could go very Timashov-esque for him, which might lead some to sour on him, but I still expect him to improve and receive an NHL deal for the 18/19 season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not surprising that he'd take the AHL deal, if he wants out of the Q but still wants to stay in North America. He's not making the Leafs this year, so there was no way we'd give him an NHL deal when he still has a year of overage eligibility and we're pushing up against the 50 SPC limit.

I still like his upside, and think he could be a nice mid-6 option. He's got skill and he isn't afraid of contact. This year could go very Timashov-esque for him, which might lead some to sour on him, but I still expect him to improve and receive an NHL deal for the 18/19 season.

The Drafted --> AHL deal ----> ELC contract route is not a very common path for prospects to take at least not ones that management sees with NHL potential.

This is basically a "prove it" make or bust year for him, and its either a ELC or a Goodbye the following year.

He is just one of those undersized players Hunter drafted in his 1st year on the job and now the organization is loaded with this type and level of prospect has in abundance and so NHL contracts handed out to more diversity of prospect/player.

member 262271

For some reason I thought he was right-handed, but nope that's Korostelev. Either way, a nice signing, giving Martins a shot with the organization. :thumbu:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->