Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs hire Blair Mackasey as a pro scout

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Now, the Beaconsfield resident is back with the Leafs after being hired recently as a pro scout following 12 years with the Minnesota Wild as a scout and director of player personnel.

“The role is yet to be really determined,” Mackasey said about his new job with the Leafs. “But it will be what I’ve always done … pro scouting pretty much. I know a lot of people in the organization. It was pretty easy to get done.”

Mackasey is a highly respected man in the hockey world with an impressive resumé. He coached the Lac St. Louis Lions to the national midget championship in 1992 before moving up to the QMJHL as coach of the Granby Bisons for one season and then the Drummondville Voltigeurs for two years.
After winning a second straight gold medal at the 2006 world junior tournament, the Wild hired Mackasey as their director of pro scouting. After 12 years in Minnesota, Mackasey figured his time might be up when GM Chuck Fletcher was fired after the Wild were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Winnipeg Jets. Mackasey was right, but not surprisingly, he didn’t stay unemployed for long.

“The Leafs came along and talked to me and I’m excited,” Mackasey said. “Change is good sometimes.”

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That's another thing off the check list. They needed another pro scout or two. Here we go. Maybe another one will come in, but only if they find someone they really like. This guy seems like he could be good.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
He has a long history as a scout but he did play one NHL game -- with the Leafs, in fact. He also played two seasons of minor league ball in the Montreal Expos system.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No. :laugh:

Sorry meant I was guessing his prediction was to do with amateur scouting and not a pro scout.
It should do with AM-scouting. Haven't heard much on it in a week or so. But, this is the dead period/vacation time for scouts.

Pro-Scouting is sort of a joke. Basically employ old scouts you like for a check or former players. GMs hardly listen to their opinions as they can scout guys relatively easily themselves and coaches all do tape scouting for future games themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He has a long history as a scout but he did play one NHL game -- with the Leafs, in fact. He also played two seasons of minor league ball in the Montreal Expos system.

He played a nhl game? Phew everyone knows management/scouts are best when “they’ve played the game”

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Pretty obvious by the picture in OP that Kyle will be poaching Crosby next!

No I think we should get someone defensive minded for the fourth line center position. Crosby cares too much about points.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I am okay with this, I think Rick Olyczyk can be a nice addition, he was previously assistant GM of Carolina and Oilers, wonder if they are enticing him to climb back up agian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad