Toronto Maple Leafs heavy in OHL prospects at the junior level

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
stuart_percy_mississauga.jpg

The Toronto Maple Leafs junior prospects feature a handful of the organizations top young talent such as Tyler Biggs, Matt Finn, Morgan Rielly, and Stuart Percy. In total the Maple Leafs have eight prospects playing in the Ontario Hockey League, and only two in Rielly (WHL) and Dominic Toninato (USHL) playing in other North American junior leagues. The Maple Leafs have three prospects from the junior level heading to World Junior camps this December.

OHL

Garret Sparks, G, Guelph Storm
Acquired: 7th round (190th overall) in 2011

In his third OHL season, Garret Sparks continues to trend upwards in his development.… read more

More...

Kessley Snipes*

I didn't know that OHL prospects could be anything besides "the junior level"

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Come on people, these Ontario Hockey League players (w/ exception of Biggs/Sparks) won't play for the leafs, because everyone knows that Burke doesn't like hockey players from Ontario. :sarcasm:

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Honestly can we just get lucky for once and pick 1st overall? Things are looking up for us with Reilly and Gardner. Getting an amazing center prospect like MacKinnon would honestly turn this franchise around. Especially if kadri reaches his potential. They need to change the draft lotto system so teams that suck like the leafs get a better chance at top prize.

Leafs For Life*

imo they should do the draft with the 1st group of picks given to the 3 ballers, 2nd to the 2 ballers, then last group to the 1 ballers.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Honestly can we just get lucky for once and pick 1st overall? Things are looking up for us with Reilly and Gardner. Getting an amazing center prospect like MacKinnon would honestly turn this franchise around. Especially if kadri reaches his potential. They need to change the draft lotto system so teams that suck like the leafs get a better chance at top prize.
It'd certainly be nice to have a bit of luck. Frankly I'd take to 3 and run with it if miracles were coming our way :laugh:.

It certainly would be huge to go along with the strength on defence to add that kind of talent upfront and especially at the center position.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
imo they should do the draft with the 1st group of picks given to the 3 ballers, 2nd to the 2 ballers, then last group to the 1 ballers.

I agree but if we were one of the teams with 1 ball I would say no way to that idea :laugh:

Apr 1, 2010
Shouldn't the title read:

Toronto Maple Leafs heavy in OHL prospects at the junior level, AND THEY ALL SUCK!!! ??

;)

Just wondering.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Shouldn't the title read:

Toronto Maple Leafs heavy in OHL prospects at the junior level, AND THEY ALL SUCK!!! ??

;)

Just wondering.
I'm guessing there's some sarcasm here that I'm missing, but I'm pretty optimistic about Biggs, Finn and Percy, I think they all have good shots to become NHLers.

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
I watch Finn and Sparks weekly as a seasons ticket holder with the Storm, and they have continued to develop in that their performances keep improving and have done so over the past two years.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm guessing there's some sarcasm here that I'm missing, but I'm pretty optimistic about Biggs, Finn and Percy, I think they all have good shots to become NHLers.

Percy has the toughness of Kaberle. Lacks aggression and hunger. His feet are below average at the NHL level. I was and am still not a fan of this pick. I wanted Tomas Jurco with this selection. Biggs I like. Percy best case scenario is 5-6 defenseman.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I watch Finn and Sparks weekly as a seasons ticket holder with the Storm, and they have continued to develop in that their performances keep improving and have done so over the past two years.

I have to say as well, as a Knights fan, every time I see Sparks, I'm impressed. I could easily see him being a darkhorse that people kind of forget about. He's made good improvements every year. I think he'll surprise some people.

Apr 1, 2010

There is enough sarcasm to drown an elephant. And they stand 10ft tall and can lift their trunks over their heads.

According to our buddy Button(******) Finn was #9 last year before the draft.

Now as much of a dingbat Button is, if he has a guy at #9 and other scouts have Finn in the top 30 then he has to be a decent prospect. There has to be something to the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->