GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Calgary Flames - SN 6:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah sure. He was mostly crap in Ottawa too. He excelled in the Blue's system under Hitchcock. He's an average goalie at best. And somehow his play fell apart every year in playoffs but last year when he was pretty decent. Chad Johnson is a better goalie -- you'll see.

Thanks for the kind words.

Sorry for the defensive overlay regarding Elliott. We didn't start off with very much D, so a few of us posters have been supplementing it for the team. ;)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Elliott is a world class goalie. His high danger save percentage over the past few years has been among the best; independent of what defence was in front of him, those numbers have very little dependance on the guys in front of you (you'd actually likely see a lower High Danger SV% if it was a system goalie, with the idea that the system doesn't give up a lot of chance, yet the goalie lets the good ones in if he's a bad goalie).

Ride Johnson right now. Ocho has proven he can shoulder some work loads, but I don't think he's dominant goaltender that can keep this pace up. Elliott will get his chance to win back the net this year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Elliott is a world class goalie. His high danger save percentage over the past few years has been among the best; independent of what defence was in front of him, those numbers have very little dependance on the guys in front of you (you'd actually likely see a lower High Danger SV% if it was a system goalie, with the idea that the system doesn't give up a lot of chance, yet the goalie lets the good ones in if he's a bad goalie).

Ride Johnson right now. Ocho has proven he can shoulder some work loads, but I don't think he's dominant goaltender that can keep this pace up. Elliott will get his chance to win back the net this year.

I've felt this way all season, but Johnson has impressed me so damn much, that I really don't care one way or another at this point. If Johnson keeps the crease and we let Elliott go to FA (and save a pick in the process), that's a good outcome. If Elliott shows his quality in an opportunity before the end of the season and we re-sign him, that's also a good outcome.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I've felt this way all season, but Johnson has impressed me so damn much, that I really don't care one way or another at this point. If Johnson keeps the crease and we let Elliott go to FA (and save a pick in the process), that's a good outcome. If Elliott shows his quality in an opportunity before the end of the season and we re-sign him, that's also a good outcome.

Yep it's Johnsons net until proven otherwise. He actually looks like a starting goalie.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

The only losing outcome is if both goalies start to struggle :laugh: then we're no better off than we were last year at years' end.

We have a good tandem in net, and when the team in front of them limits chances.
Since Gaudreau's injury and them finally figuring out how to most effectively use the defensive pairings, this team is 6-3-1, 1.9 GAA; that includes two blowouts where we gave up a lot of goals.

Now we could also use Johnny back because during that time Calgary's also only scored 21 goals :laugh: this 3-0 win tonight is only the third time we've scored 3 or more goals.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
The only losing outcome is if both goalies start to struggle :laugh: then we're no better off than we were last year at years' end.

We have a good tandem in net, and when the team in front of them limits chances.
Since Gaudreau's injury and them finally figuring out how to most effectively use the defensive pairings, this team is 6-3-1, 1.9 GAA; that includes two blowouts where we gave up a lot of goals.

Now we could also use Johnny back because during that time Calgary's also only scored 21 goals :laugh: this 3-0 win tonight is only the third time we've scored 3 or more goals.

Here we all thought that was the death knell for this team. I'm so excited to have Johnny back, we might actually start to look like the Flames that we'd expected to see.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
If I counted correctly, puck was cleared from the zone 4 times during the Flames PP's: once by Toronto player, 3 times by Flames players (Gio fumbled puck on the blueline once, two others were passes to the blueline while there was no one to recieve the pass).

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Hey guys just want to say good game last night. Your early jump took the wind from our sails (combined with Enroth's goaltending :cry:)

Not sure if we meet again this year? Either way, best of luck against everybody else

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If I counted correctly, puck was cleared from the zone 4 times during the Flames PP's: once by Toronto player, 3 times by Flames players (Gio fumbled puck on the blueline once, two others were passes to the blueline while there was no one to recieve the pass).
This is why I find it hard to just blame Cameron for the numbers, execution is clearly a problem.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
This is why I find it hard to just blame Cameron for the numbers, execution is clearly a problem.

I feel like if you're responsible for one of the worst PP's in the league with Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman and Turris that should put you in a hole to start with.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel like if you're responsible for one of the worst PP's in the league with Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman and Turris that should put you in a hole to start with.
Except he was the head coach in Ottawa, it was someone else running the PP. Also just because layers are good offensively, does not mean they are good PP players.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We ran a 1-3-1 last night for the first time in a while. As long as we keep that formation out results with follow. I truly believe Sean Monahan is one of the best centermen for that formation. However, Cameron is all about the tradition two high D set up which just doesn't work well these days, so I could see him go back right away without PP goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad