Prospect Info: Toronto Maple Leafs 2020 6th Round (177th OA) D Axel Rindell (Liiga) 6' 176

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Axel Rindell — RHD, Jukurit, 5-foot-11
Rindell has become a bit of an enigma for me from a player evaluation standpoint. He’s a late-blooming double overager who made waves at Finland’s top level as a rookie defenceman this season with 22 points in 47 games. He’s already 20, so a team might be better off taking their chances that he goes undrafted and then look to lure him to North America with a contract, but there’s no denying his offensive skill. Rindell can create for himself with his aggressive, attack mentality and well above average puck skill:And he can create for others with his ability to stretch the ice and hit difficult seams with hard, flat passes. There aren’t a ton of defenders that execute this pass:The challenging part in evaluating Rindell has always been about balancing his clear offensive gifts against his lacklustre defensive play. Rindell was counted upon to play serious minutes as a first-year player for Jukurit, averaging 18:18 a night. But Jukurit also won just 11 of 59 games and many have played there in recent years to inflated results due to the roles they were given on a bad team. On one hand, he was the best possession defender (51.7 Corsi For percentage) on a bad possession team and he was a victim of some tough on-ice luck (near the bottom of the team in PDO). On the other, they were outscored 41-22 when he was on the ice and I saw him play a couple of brutal games this season. At best, Rindell’s probably a worthwhile late-round pick. At worst, he’s a player that teams should be keeping a very close eye on if he doesn’t get picked.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Looks like a great offensive d man, but needs a lot work defensively. The player you take a chance on.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Expected to see a lil more action on the Rindell threads. Big game offensively today.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I was stoked when we took him 6th round, I had him way higher on my list. If you can produce the way he had as a 19 year old RHD in Liiga (close to 0.5ppg), I don't care what deficiencies you might have as a player; late in the draft, you take that upside and run with it 10 times out of 10. Seems like he's progressed really well since then.

Reactions: weems

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The name Axel Rindell sounds like a future NHL stars name.

You can’t convince me otherwise.

I had no idea he was leading his team in points too.

Reactions: weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad