Toronto Maple Choke Berries

What was your most memorable choke job?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If you're comparing Ayres to last night, stop it.

Aryes was a Zamboni Driver.

Last night was a team that got goalie'd by a veteran tendy who has a cup ring.

Reactions: francis246

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Here are a few pretty memorable ones:

2. Boston blows 3-0 series lead to Philly (Bruins win cup the following year)
3. Jets get shut out by an accountant for the full 15mins he played. At least Leafs scored a couple times on the 29mins of Canes emergency back-up.

But yes, woe is us, only embarrassing things happen to us, wah wah wah. So sad.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Looking back on it, losing to Vancouver is tough, but it isn’t that big of a choke job. Look at Dallas, they came back from COVID and scored 7 goals 3 or 4 times out of their first 10 or so games. We got unlucky, mixed with our lack of finish, and the over reactions made it look worse then we thought.

Mar 26, 2010
The Leafs biggest choke is coming up in the 3rd week of May when they get swept in the 1st round again. They are done.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don’t get how the game yesterday is even in the conversation. The media has made a big deal out of the Canucks possibly not being fit. It sounds like a good chunk were asymptomatic and have been practicing for a week or so

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Game 7 was a choke.

The other two are media creations that if they happened to another team, no one would give them a second thought other than "feel good" story.

Media creations?

The media weren't the ones creating these threads, calling it a choke job, or freaking out last night / today.

That's 100% all fan.

Mar 14, 2011
Losing to CBJ, the previous game 7 defeats was a case of an underdog Maple Leaf team going up against one of the few actual Cup contenders in the league, in all honesty its still pretty frustrating that the Leafs couldn't win 1 given the recent history between these 2 teams but the CBJ choke still takes the cakes here.

Against the Jackets, the Leafs were actually favoured and given all the criticism of the Leafs being unable to win a series and the recent firing of their scapegoat coach, the team should have been extra motivated to beat the much depleted Jackets team and improve the team's playoff rep, instead not only did they lose but they got shut out as well in 2/5 games, the offence supposedly being the team's strength. It still frustrates me when fans focuses their blame on Andy who put up an impressive .936 sv% and a much better GAA compare to Vasilevsky (arguably the best goaltender in the NHL) who faced these same Jackets team next series, when your high powered offensive team lose a 2-0 game were they allowed 35 shots, typically you would blame the expensive offence, not the goaltender who allowed 1 goal.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Here are a few pretty memorable ones:

2. Boston blows 3-0 series lead to Philly (Bruins win cup the following year)
3. Jets get shut out by an accountant for the full 15mins he played. At least Leafs scored a couple times on the 29mins of Canes emergency back-up.

But yes, woe is us, only embarrassing things happen to us, wah wah wah. So sad.

How far back did you have to go, if you want recent history stay with the Blue and White... Smith goal was a biggie too but that was decades ago.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I don't think I witnessed a worse leaf meltdown then against Boston in game 7 up 4-1.

Its still not the worst ever, I remember Boston blowing a 3-0 series lead and a 3-0 game 7 lead to the Flyers in 2010 I believe. I still remember Gagne scoring the game 7 gwg like it was yesterday. That was a meltdown for the ages but never mentioned because they won a year or 2 later and everyone hates the leafs.

Reactions: banks

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The definition is in the wiki article if you need help. But I think you’re too busy sulking to apply the description to something that doesn’t fit your narrative

I know what it is but I don't think you understand the practical application of the phrase because you used it incorrectly. At any rate kudos for trying something new.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I know what it is but I don't think you understand the practical application of the phrase because you used it incorrectly. At any rate kudos for trying something new.

Well she chose a training set, and overtrained a decision tree whose output decides if a team is a choker. Her training set suffered from selection bias, because she is biased to picking the data points relating to her own team.

It’s textbook definition.

Today a stranger went out of their way to help you. Hopefully you are good at something else, and can pay it forward.

Further reading:
Decision tree learning - Wikipedia (classification trees)
Overfitting - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: stopclickbait
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad