Friedman: Toronto looking at forwards

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
What are sending back? 2nd+ something? Eating 50% isn't cheap in the COVID world.

Not sure. Have to assume for Calgary to retain 50%, the deal would have to be slightly sweeter.

Whats Calgary even looking for?

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Did we suddenly wake up in a parallel universe, one in which the chatter as to TOR is not about how to deal w/reality that they have a handful of top, top $$$$$ players taking up a huge chunk of the cap?

Obv Matthews and MM and the sensibly priced Nylander make sense. But as CHI is seeing w/Kane and Toews, adding beyond that can be a backbreaker (Seabrook).
But the above trio makes sense, JT at his # does not, and that indulgence is forcing the premise of the OP, which YOU not I, are choosing to ignore.

Leafs are too top heavy. they either have to squeeze more mileage out the middle or deal a guy from the top [of those 4 Nylander is the only match b'c most other teams can't afford/won't pay for the corresponding cap hit].

It is unlikely someone will trade you a better 1m guy for a lesser guy same price. And if it happens, not only is it the exception to the rule, there is usually some x factor below the surface. Such is an anomaly.
Hence, a likely need to move a quality guy for depth.
Hence, premise is not absurd.
The Leafs look just fine to me.
outstanding high end talent.
Great top 4.
Solid goaltending.
Great depth.
They just want to add a big bodied forward for the stretch run. Teams do it all the time at the deadline. They will to. They have plenty of assets and the cap space will open up as the season moves along.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Virtanen
Gaudette
Motte
Sutter
Beagle
Roussel
Eriksson (lol)

Any interest in any of them? We could possibly retain salary too.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Seems like a LOT of other fans have forgotten that the leafs are 7-2 and not in any sort of dire need for change. Scoring is good and one of the top PPs in the league along with top 5 faceoffs

If Bern thinks we only have WN as a chip hes blind and homered in on fake news. We have a lot of young talent on the cusp and some cheap vets on 1 yr deals. We don't have any bad deals no matter what someone thinks about a 47 goal scorer in JT. Anyone made available would be wanted by a number of teams immediately.

Our top 4 is doing great and improving game by game and we have a battle for the third pairing as it should be.

If any trade is made by TO it is likely for a backup goalie and it wont be a blockbuster whatsoever

Dude has been after Nylander for years

strome+
Georgiev+
Buchnevich+

lol, rinse, recycle, repeat.

leafs arent trading willy to add to their 4th line...what a ludicrous idea

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Did we suddenly wake up in a parallel universe, one in which the chatter as to TOR is not about how to deal w/reality that they have a handful of top, top $$$$$ players taking up a huge chunk of the cap?

Obv Matthews and MM and the sensibly priced Nylander make sense. But as CHI is seeing w/Kane and Toews, adding beyond that can be a backbreaker (Seabrook).
But the above trio makes sense, JT at his # does not, and that indulgence is forcing the premise of the OP
, which YOU not I, are choosing to ignore.

Leafs are too top heavy. they either have to squeeze more mileage out the middle or deal a guy from the top [of those 4 Nylander is the only match b'c most other teams can't afford/won't pay for the corresponding cap hit].

It is unlikely someone will trade you a better 1m guy for a lesser guy same price. And if it happens, not only is it the exception to the rule, there is usually some x factor below the surface. Such is an anomaly.
Hence, a likely need to move a quality guy for depth.
Hence, premise is not absurd.

Forcing what? the leafs are 7-2-1 and in 1st. Depth guys like Engvall and Boyd/Brooks/Anderson have come in and plugged the holes left by joe and robertson. its funny you talk about the leafs being top heavy but want the leafs to then trade Nylander + a better pick for strome+buchnevich, a pair that will cost 9mil+ next season. get out of here with the terrible proposals. Nylander starts with Fox++

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Unless this is a Bennett@50% for Engvall+ type, I dont see it happening

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The Leafs look just fine to me.
outstanding high end talent.
Great top 4.
Solid goaltending.
Great depth.
They just want to add a big bodied forward for the stretch run. Teams do it all the time at the deadline. They will to. They have plenty of assets and the cap space will open up as the season moves along.
agree on a great top 4.
Rest of it, we'll see.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Forcing what? the leafs are 7-2-1 and in 1st. Depth guys like Engvall and Boyd/Brooks/Anderson have come in and plugged the holes left by joe and robertson. its funny you talk about the leafs being top heavy but want the leafs to then trade Nylander + a better pick for strome+buchnevich, a pair that will cost 9mil+ next season. get out of here with the terrible proposals. Nylander starts with Fox++

You undervalue buch and Fox.
keep Nyl, and your top heavy lack of depth implied by OP.
We will see how far you go come playoff time.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
You undervalue buch and Fox.
keep Nyl, and your top heavy lack of depth implied by OP.
We will see how far you go come playoff time.
Lack of depth? Not many teams with more depth.
Oh wait; you’re the guy who said the player your team just put on waivers is betting than Nylander.
I take back my arguments..... there is no point hahahahaha

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
When I say top 4, I am referring to the top 4 defencemen.
You may not like the leafs, but all those things listed are true.
thank you for the clarification, I was referring to top 4 best players not the D.
Also, don't hate the Leafs.

Lack of depth? Not many teams with more depth.
Oh wait; you’re the guy who said the player your team just put on waivers is betting than Nylander.
I take back my arguments..... there is no point hahahahaha

you appear to be saying I said Deangelo was better than Nylander.
I didn't say that.
I said he was a worthwhile component to a deal, and Leafs should recognize talent wise he was a better fit than an overrated Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad