Friedman: Toronto looking at forwards

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hard to imagine the Leafs having very much cap space to make anything happen especially if we limit the search to Canadian options:

Galchenyuk
Leivo

Reactions: Joel Ward

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
They're tight against the cap. Besides, Robertson didn't even start the season in the line-up and both he and Thornton are only going to be out for four weeks (not short term to be sure, but I wouldn't really qualify that as particularly long term either).

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Don't they basically already have a better version of him in Zach Hyman?

Yeah, but Khaira has shown he has some skill, big body and looks like he can skate. Might get a few easy points if he gets to play with some of the more skilled forwards they like he did in Edmonton when it looked like he was breaking out, or did he do that from the bottom 6 mostly?

I think they liked the player last year too but I think his contract might be too expensive for the Leafs.

I thought he was kinda cheap, like 900k, or less.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Wasn't expecting this to occur so early. But a few of the big Toronto reporter people believe Toronto will add an 'impact' forward at the deadline with the accrued capspace they collect

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
They have no cap space... Not really sure how losing Robertson or Thornton really hurts them all that much anyway. Robertson is one of the players trying to become a regular starter, he is not a regular starter yet (though I fully expect that he will be in the near future) and Thornton is hardly a key cog at this stage in his career. Joe is a nice addition and does help but not having him will not make or break the team. Plenty of depth players in the Leafs system to fill in while these guys recover.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
When the Oilers wave one of their 15F... you can have one... Haas, Nygard, Khaira, Chiasson, Ennis, Quine, Shore, etc.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think they liked the player last year too but I think his contract might be too expensive for the Leafs.
His contract is $1.2m, but only $125k counts against the cap currently since he's cleared waivers. Don't ask me how the cap ceiling tightrope works this season though. All I know is that Khaira is cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad