Movies: Toronto International Film Festival (and any other Film Fest for that matter)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As I was walking by a theatre, an interviewer was outside asking an actor about his approach to acting and it reminded me of a story.

I had a friend who a couple of years ago attended the BAFTA Awards in London. He was backstage and watched a TV personality ask Eddie Redmayne and Robert Pattinson what their approach to acting was. Redmayne went first and rambled on for minutes about his Method-like approach which involved field research, acting exercises, keeping up with recent theory, psychological probing, staying in character and on and on and on. Finally he stopped yapping and the interviewer turned to Pattinson and asked him the same question. Robert responded. "I pretend that I'm another person." :laugh:

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
As I was walking by a theatre, an interviewer was outside asking an actor about his approach to asking and it reminded me of a story.

I had a friend who a couple of years ago attended the BAFTA Awards in London. He was backstage and watched a TV personality ask Eddie Redmayne and Robert Pattinson what their approach to acting was. Redmayne went first and rambled on for minutes about his Method-like approach which involved field research, acting exercises, keeping up with recent theory, psychological probing, staying in character and on and on and on. Finally he stopped yapping and the interviewer turned to Pattinson and asked him the same question. Robert responded. "I pretend that I'm another person." :laugh:
Lol that's pretty funny. Pattinson always strikes me as super unpretentious in interviews, and not in a false humility kind of way. Just seems genuinely honest and kind of like a fish out of water in a way.

That joke reminds me a bit of this by Aubrey Plaza. Going for different things, but still kind of undercutting other actors and acting in general for the sake of humor.

Reactions: kihei and Jussi

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
As I was walking by a theatre, an interviewer was outside asking an actor about his approach to acting and it reminded me of a story.

What makes this even better is that Pattinson blows the terrible Redmaybe out of the water in the acting department.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi and kihei

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I didn't get to to TIFF at all this year, but just read a bit about Ugandan film Crazy World. If I could have gotten out, sounds like it would have been a great experience.

Crazy World

Sounds like it redefines what "shoestring budget" means, but apparently a fun as hell action film. The director had never seen a movie in a movie theatre before his debut at tiff.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
TIFF turned a bad year into what looks like it may end up a damn good year.

Every year TIFF seems to go by more quickly--like some gaudy coloured moth with a short live span. It will be interesting to see the estimate of how many people attended because every single screening I saw was packed.

Here's my version of the People's Choice Awards:

Best Movie

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Runner Up: Hope

Best Direction

Celine Sciamma, Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Runner Up: Maria Sedahl, Hope

Best Performance--Male

Skellen Skarsgard, Hope

Runner Up: Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

Best Performance: Female

Andrea Braen Hovig, Hope

Runner Up: Morfydd Clark, Saint Maud

Best Cinematography

It Must Be Heaven
Runner Up: Vitalina Varela

Best Script

Hope
Runner Up: Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
TIFF turned a bad year into what looks like it may end up a damn good year.

Every year TIFF seems to go by more quickly--like some gaudy coloured moth with a short live span. It will be interesting to see the estimate of how many people attended because every single screening I saw was packed.

Here's my version of the People's Choice Awards:

Best Movie

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Runner Up: Hope

Best Direction

Celine Sciamma, Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Runner Up: Maria Sedahl, Hope

Best Performance--Male

Skellen Skarsgard, Hope

Runner Up: Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

Best Performance: Female

Andrea Braen Hovig, Hope

Runner Up: Morfydd Clark, Saint Maud

Best Cinematography

It Must Be Heaven
Runner Up: Vitalina Varela

Best Script

Hope
Runner Up: Portrait of a Lady on Fire

So basically the movies you saw there? Or did you see Jojo Rabbit, Marriage Story, It's A Beautiful..., Ford v Ferrari or Knives Out?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So basically the movies you saw there? Or did you see Jojo Rabbit, Marriage Story, It's A Beautiful..., Ford v Ferrari or Knives Out?
No, I didn't see any of those at TIFF as they are all coming out, along with Parasite and Power and Glory, over the next couple of months. I listed all the movies I saw at TIFF in categories on the Last Movie You Saw thread.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No, I didn't see any of those at TIFF as they are all coming out, along with Parasite and Power and Glory, over the next couple of months. I listed all the movies I saw at TIFF in categories on the Last Movie You Saw thread.

I think it probably could have used a disclaimer, like I didn't see the following "big name movies there", for those that don't know the background of trying to get tickets for certain movies at the TIFF.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, the big movies sell out usually before tickets go on sale to the general public. Big shots and TIFF members (like me) get, respectively, first and second shot. After the initial ticket sales, you can call early in the morning of the screening to see if any tickets have been returned to the box office (there often are). Or if that doesn't work, there is always a rush line and if you get there early enough, there is a great chance you will get into even the big releases, like The Joker and Parasite. Everything that most people want to see will be released in local theatres in the next couple of months, so it is no big deal to skip something at TIFF (thus, leaving more opportunities to see lesser known movies that might not get distributed widely) for Torontonians but it can be frustrating for out-of-towners.

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Cannes has been cancelled.

It's interesting, there's always an (albeit) smaller filmfestival in my hometown in late April, which focuses on Latin, African, and Asian cinema. This year it starts on April 21 and today I got an e-mail saying this year the festival will still go ahead, just not in theaters but online. I wonder how that's going to work.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
That is to be expected of Cannes.

Let us know what an online version is like Savi. I usually attend a film festival in late September, and I am really curious how it will be held now too. I have to imagine that to field a full slate of films is a logistic nightmare.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Bumping this thread as the the festival has gone digital this year, and started this weekend.

My wife wants to check out one of the documentaries that's connected to her field, so I was going to look how the streaming options work, but curious if anyone else has followed and tracking any particular film. I'm unsure if films are bothering with the film circuit in this environment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->