Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm shocked we haven't gotten a new DP signing done, even if they can't come in right now due to the window in other leagues. Maybe I am cautious because of all those years the organization was a laughing stock, but it doesn't breed confidence in the management group at this time. Super happy with Pozuelo though, but we still need impactful players up top (#9) and at the back (#4/5).
I wouldn't be too concerned by the timeline. Poz came in early March back in 2019, I trust management to identify the right player and bring them in. Rather they do their due dillegence than bring someone in for the sake of getting done.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
I wouldn't be too concerned by the timeline. Poz came in early March back in 2019, I trust management to identify the right player and bring them in. Rather they do their due dillegence than bring someone in for the sake of getting done.
Definitely not suggesting it be done without due diligence, just surprised that we don't have something done or close to being done. I would have thought letting Piatti go on the DP deal that they would have had at least some semblance of a list of players they would prefer in that place.

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
From Michael Singh @MichaelSingh94 on Twitter
Bill Manning on why Toronto FC haven't made signings this offseason: "Rather than going out like we’ve done in the past and getting an MLS experienced player…we’re going to be looking to Jayden, and Ralph, and Noble, and Julian and these guys to step in because now is the time."

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
From Michael Singh @MichaelSingh94 on Twitter
Bill Manning on why Toronto FC haven't made signings this offseason: "Rather than going out like we’ve done in the past and getting an MLS experienced player…we’re going to be looking to Jayden, and Ralph, and Noble, and Julian and these guys to step in because now is the time."
Sounds like a rebuild/development year then? I don't know how much of an impact he seriously expects them to make. Disappointing offseason.

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
Sounds like a rebuild/development year then? I don't know how much of an impact he seriously expects them to make. Disappointing offseason.
I think we get to see what those kids can bring early in the season, keep in mind it’s been reported that big European clubs are keeping an eye on Marshall-Rutty, and Nelson & Priso. But it is easier to have a transition season with a team like TFC when no one is in the stands.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Those kids looked promising last season. I have no issues with the coaching staff giving them a shot, and we need to start getting younger anyway.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I dont think it will be as bad as everyone suggests. Sometimes the mix of the vets still left over (Bradley, Pozeullo and so forth) along with fresh blood works for the better. Yes it seems like a rebuild but that would only be true if they went out and sold all their vets which they havent done.

The lone absentee that causes me to be concerned is Vanney. I thought for sure he was perfect to bring in the young blood. Oh well.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
So 16ish days to go before game 1. What are we expecting this season? I will admit I am more of an in-season fan, so my interest is peaking once again. Playoff team? Going to be a hard start for them again, mentally more than anything. I have heard and read that being on the road permanently, even when playing 'home' games was killer in the end. Wonder if the team, knowing the impact of this from last season, struggles out of the gate?

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
So 16ish days to go before game 1. What are we expecting this season? I will admit I am more of an in-season fan, so my interest is peaking once again. Playoff team? Going to be a hard start for them again, mentally more than anything. I have heard and read that being on the road permanently, even when playing 'home' games was killer in the end. Wonder if the team, knowing the impact of this from last season, struggles out of the gate?
I think a lot will come down to Jozy’s health. If he plays half the season or more we are in the playoffs, if he misses most of the season we might squeak in. This is of course dependant on us not making anymore moves this off-season and playing the young guys more. They could very well prove me wrong though as that unpredictability is the nature of testing and incorporating youth.

Reactions: wingman75

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think this team is for sure a playoff team, whether Jozy is healthy or not. When you have a player with the high-end talent of Poz, anything can happen.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
I think this team is for sure a playoff team, whether Jozy is healthy or not. When you have a player with the high-end talent of Poz, anything can happen.

We also have an aging core, no replacement for Piatti. Plus, it’s Jozy, it’s literally a given he’ll be injured half the year.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We also have an aging core, no replacement for Piatti. Plus, it’s Jozy, it’s literally a given he’ll be injured half the year.

Piatti was only alright for us; I wouldn't be too concerned he left. I also think a DP signing is still coming to add to the attack.

Jozy'z situation is unideal and the squad does have some older names. They are still decent players and there is some solid youth player to come through the ranks or take another step forward from last season.

Overall I would be shocked to see this team miss the playoffs. There will be some inconsistent times with the new gaffer, COVID, and more reliance on youth; but there is still more than enough talent to make it to the playoffs.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Piatti was only alright for us; I wouldn't be too concerned he left. I also think a DP signing is still coming to add to the attack.

Jozy'z situation is unideal and the squad does have some older names. They are still decent players and there is some solid youth player to come through the ranks or take another step forward from last season.

Overall I would be shocked to see this team miss the playoffs. There will be some inconsistent times with the new gaffer, COVID, and more reliance on youth; but there is still more than enough talent to make it to the playoffs.

I don’t think they’ll miss the playoffs but I definitely see them taking a step back. Piatti wasn’t DP worthy but was still a high talent player taken out with no replacement, and from some of the comments made it doesn’t sound like they have many plans to bring in any help unfortunately.

Reactions: robertmac43

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
We will see tonight how they play against Leon. I feel that they will have a average showing ending in a tie.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
We will see tonight how they play against Leon. I feel that they will have a average showing ending in a tie.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Tough game tonight for the Reds. Happy to see them back and playing some competitive fixtures, however, Leon is a tough first game.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Brief summary of the game for those who didn't get a chance to see it?

Edit. Saw the youtube highlights. Another year of Omar Gonzalez is going to be painful.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->