Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't hate the fire. The boys will need to get in better shape though, Armas loves himself a press!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Chris Armas is your new TFC coach.

Pretty m'eh if you ask me.
As a fan who sits in the hooligans section and drinks and cheers what does this mean? Is he a skilled creative type of coach? or he is boring defense and long ball premier league type? I used to have season tickets for a few years but honestly lost some interest after Seba left. Kinda left a bad taste for me. But liked some of moves last year it looked like it had some promise. Why did they dump da fast winger?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don't hate the fire. The boys will need to get in better shape though, Armas loves himself a press!
I will hate that man forever for the single biggest tactical blunder in the history of American/Canadian club soccer: First leg of the 2018 East Final in Atlanta (and yes, the use of two legged finals instead of a single match at the higher seed was peak MLS idiocy), a team who a few weeks earlier looked like chickens with their heads cut off when (missing our two best players in Tyler Adams and BWP) we pressed the hell out of them and beat them. Taxi was injured so Armas decided to abandon the press, and the result was a 3-0 defeat that effectively ended the tie. That was THE year we finally should've won it all and he f***ed it up. The next season we were getting beaten up at RBA and everyone in the South Ward does the "We Are The South Ward" chant only changing the words to "Fire Chris Armas". It was the first time there had been chants demanding a coach be sacked since 2009 when that idiot Osorio and his notebook tried to top the 1999 Metros and Bora as the biggest trainwreck in MLS history.

Reactions: robertmac43

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Thats a big claim! :laugh:
Imagine the Leafs have a game 7 of the conference finals against a team they destroyed the prior game with a tactic the other team had absolutely no clue how to stop and the coach decides to abandon it for game 7 and disaster ensues. That's basically what Armas did.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
A little underwhelmed by the hiring but I do like that we will probably be playing more of a press system. Gonna need a speedier striker DP to replace Piatti though.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
He's a TFC legend but I agree it's time to move on. He's injured way too often to take up that salary and DP spot. The only crappy thing is the fans won't be able to give him the sendoff he deserves.

Reactions: Kurtz

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'll never slander Jozy, guy scored 3 of the biggest goals in club history. But yeah the wages and his age do not fit the team's plan at the moment.

Reactions: TMLeafer

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Very sad to hear that Kristian Jack was among the casualties in Bell Media/TSN's recent layoffs. He was one of the best soccer broadcasters/journalists in the country and he will be greatly missed.
That's terrible. Their MLS crew was basically 3 people anyway, how the heck did they figure that's where they needed a reduction. I would've let go of Caldwell if one had to go.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
That's terrible. Their MLS crew was basically 3 people anyway, how the heck did they figure that's where they needed a reduction. I would've let go of Caldwell if one had to go.

Hopefully he'll land on his feet with another local network/media platform soon.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Congrats to all TFC season seat holders for having your personal info sent to one other random SSH.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto FC president Bill Manning says Toronto FC will open 2021 season in Florida - TSN.ca

Toronto FC will open the 2021 regular season in Florida due to pandemic-related travel restrictions.

Tampa has been mentioned as a possible home. The MLS club also has ties to Orlando, having held training camp there in the past.

“We are preparing to open the MLS regular season in Florida, just finalizing our location,” team president Bill Manning said in a text to The Canadian Press.

"Reality is we are preparing to open in Florida as it seems unrealistic we’ll be able to host at home in April. If the government opens things up for us we would immediately pivot back to BMO (Field) but for now we’re preparing to start down south."

The regular season is scheduled to kick off April 17.

TFC won't be the only Toronto team in Florida. The Raptors are set to play the entire NBA season in Tampa while the Blue Jays announced this week they will play their first two homestands of the season in their spring-training home of Dunedin, just west of Tampa.

The Jays will review the situation after that, with a return to Buffalo, N.Y. (where they played most of their home games in 2020) a possible next step if coming back to Toronto remains out of the question.

TFC opened camp under the bubble Wednesday at its north Toronto training centre. The league granted TFC permission to start early to prepare for the Canadian Championship final against Hamilton's Forge FC, a matchup whose date has yet to be announced.

The winner will advance to play Mexico's Club Leon on April 7 in the first leg of a round-of-16 series in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League, CONCACAF's flagship club competition.

TFC played just four games at BMO Field last year, finishing out the season in East Hartford, Conn. Pandemic-related border restrictions also forced Vancouver and Montreal to move, to Portland and Harrison, N.J, respectively.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
TFC opened camp under the bubble Wednesday at its north Toronto training centre. The league granted TFC permission to start early to prepare for the Canadian Championship final against Hamilton's Forge FC, a matchup whose date has yet to be announced.
This date really needs to be set sooner than later. Get this game done with so both teams can focus on the season coming up.

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
I'm shocked we haven't gotten a new DP signing done, even if they can't come in right now due to the window in other leagues. Maybe I am cautious because of all those years the organization was a laughing stock, but it doesn't breed confidence in the management group at this time. Super happy with Pozuelo though, but we still need impactful players up top (#9) and at the back (#4/5).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad