Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Was it an issue of $$$? I got a feeling he was not getting offered what he wanted. or was it both president and GM not in agreement on players and playing style? Very curious. Personally not impressed with how team came out in playoff game. To me it was blatantly obvious Bradley and Omar can't keep up. Even da announcers kept saying it. Slow ball possession middle of field. With balls out to da wings with speed is his style. But you still can't keep getting beat like a sieve down middle entire game. If I am GM I don't agree either.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Was it an issue of $$$? I got a feeling he was not getting offered what he wanted. or was it both president and GM not in agreement on players and playing style? Very curious. Personally not impressed with how team came out in playoff game. To me it was blatantly obvious Bradley and Omar can't keep up. Even da announcers kept saying it. Slow ball possession middle of field. With balls out to da wings with speed is his style. But you still can't keep getting beat like a sieve down middle entire game. If I am GM I don't agree either.
I think it will come down to a variety of things. 7 years is a long time in pro sports, so for starters there may just be a wanting for a new challenge. Also Galaxy will be looking for a new coach this offseason and GV may be drawn to the big lights of LA.

The team is also getting older, GV has done his part in building it, probably does not want to stick around for any further decline.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sounding like Curtis is going to opt for a youth movement/revolution, that I'm all here for!

Piatti will not be returning so as of right now we have a DP spot to work with.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls/tfc-impact-whitecaps-off-season-moves-1.5822651
Oh well I thought maybe we could get another one this year but its done ... nice run ... to me I became a little down on team after Seba and Vaz contract screw ups ... and this Omar pickup takes da cake of very very weak personnel evaluations ... Vaney did not get his $$$ and did not want to manage a bad team going forward ... no manager is gonna look good with Bradley and Omar as his main pieces ... Bradley although my heart is all in for him has had his father time moment unfortunately

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Why Greg Vanney decided to step away from Toronto FC and what's next | MLSsoccer.com

“This was a difficult decision, one that I processed for an entire difficult year and came to a conclusion that it’s the right time for myself and my family to move forward and take a different step," Vanney said. "This profession is about a journey, and in this journey, we have different experiences. I’ve taken every ounce of what I can from this experience and I think it’s time for myself and my family to move on.”

The decision had nothing to do with finances or other contract details.

“We tried to show Greg how much we valued him and wanted him to continue as head coach. … As the season wound down to a close, we did ask Greg for a decision," Manning said. "We felt we couldn’t go further into the offseason without knowing what position we’d be in with our head coach.”

“Along the way, we had a lot of incredible memories and did a lot of incredible things," Vanney added. "The club is destined to keep doing that. It’s time for somebody else to take that.”

For the first time in close to a decade, Vanney and Toronto will go their separate ways for the future. The club are beginning their search for a head coach while Vanney ponders what's next.

“I’m a builder, I like to build things," Vanney said. "I like projects. This club is in a really good place, there’s not a lot of building to do. This club is positioned to be great.”

Vanney doesn't have a timeline for when he'll put his hardhat on and get back to building. A lot of speculation has linked him with the vacant LA Galaxy job, considering he spent seven seasons with the club during his playing career and also went to nearby UCLA for college.

“I do need to catch my breath and regroup a bit, but anyone who knows me, knows I don’t sit still very well," Vanney said. "It won’t be a long thing.”

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Builders need to build ... I get it ... like plumbers plumb ... and caretakers care take ... sounds like Greg wants to build da academy too in LA which is great for da sport too ... good for him he saw little building here

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad