Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Both are starting on Friday night so should be fun to watch ... lets hope we see pre-injury Piatti ... if we do then look out we got a top tier world class player with ridiculous speed and creativity down wing ... can stop on a dime and drop in a cross with skill ... anyone who can score on Barcelona is world class ... lets hope he is back
I can't say I know much about Piatti. How does he rank in terms of the other big DPs we have brought in (Pozuelo, Giovinco, Altidore, Bradley)?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
if we do then look out we got a top tier world class player with ridiculous speed and creativity down wing ... can stop on a dime and drop in a cross with skill ... anyone who can score on Barcelona is world class ... lets hope he is back
You lost me here... He was not good in his last couple seasons at Espanyol. He was a solid signing and should be a major talent for us, but let's not pretend he is pre-2016 Piatti.

Reactions: al secord

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You lost me here... He was not good in his last couple seasons at Espanyol. He was a solid signing and should be a major talent for us, but let's not pretend he is pre-2016 Piatti.
Oh my buddy told me he has been hurt on and off for about 4 years now ... is he back to full health? if so just watch his play from 2011 to 2106 it is incredible speed and power on da ball

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Both are starting on Friday night so should be fun to watch ... lets hope we see pre-injury Piatti ... if we do then look out we got a top tier world class player with ridiculous speed and creativity down wing ... can stop on a dime and drop in a cross with skill ... anyone who can score on Barcelona is world class ... lets hope he is back

I think you're perhaps over-doing it a bit there. He's far from being or ever having been a 'top tier world class player' and scoring against Barcelona doesn't make you world class either.

He is a talent, but he's never really lived up to it.

Reactions: robertmac43

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think you're perhaps over-doing it a bit there. He's far from being or ever having been a 'top tier world class player' and scoring against Barcelona doesn't make you world class either.

He is a talent, but he's never really lived up to it.
I defer to you footie guys on these matters as i never played but one of my buddies who played in serie A says he is world class

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Oh my buddy told me he has been hurt on and off for about 4 years now ... is he back to full health? if so just watch his play from 2011 to 2106 it is incredible speed and power on da ball

He has battled injuries but he still featured a good amount for Espanyol.
18/19: 26 games (1237 minutes) 2 goals.
17/18 31 games (1812 minutes) 2 goals.

He kind of fell off a cliff after his 10 goal season with Espanyol in 2016, injuries and age have taken a toll on him. He should still be great for MLS and we obviously needed to add a skillful winger after last year. Just son't expect him to an overly explosive player.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I defer to you footie guys on these matters as i never played but one of my buddies who played in serie A says he is world class
He has great technical abilities but he never really put it together on the big stage and was inconsistent throughout his time in La Liga. Don't get me wrong I like the signing and I think we will be a good TFC player.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He has great technical abilities but he never really put it together on the big stage and was inconsistent throughout his time in La Liga. Don't get me wrong I like the signing and I think we will be a good TFC player.
I hope so ... maybe i am expecting too much but I was told he same size as Seba but much faster

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Piatti could turn out to be like Victor Vasquez during his time here...past his prime and overcoming injuries, but an elite player by MLS standards when he is healthy.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Piatti could turn out to be like Victor Vasquez during his time here...past his prime and overcoming injuries, but an elite player by MLS standards when he is healthy.
Vasquez was always thinking three steps ahead of everyone else on the field. He was a huge loss. I'm not sure Piatti can be that type of player. But we might not need him to be, playing off of POZ.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Has there been any talk of scrapping this tournament now that Dallas has pulled out?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Has there been any talk of scrapping this tournament now that Dallas has pulled out?

MLS has invested some good money in this going on so my guess is they will stay course as long as they can.

The issue is that Colorado and Nashville have also talked of pulling out and the league already lost Vela.

Reactions: ACC1224

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Dallas had 10 players test positive, they had no choice. Not surprising given the situation in Texas recently. Nashville could be next.

However, the rest of the teams seem to be fine thus far, and the tournament should go on as planned.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Id prefer it if TFC just made up some false positives to get out of this nonsense.

I was foolish enough to be looking forward to a Friday night TFC match..... :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad