Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Very impressive performance against NYC today, should have been a blowout.

Achara looks promising.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Only saw the highlights of this one but looked like they had a ton of chances (Jozy especially) and could have been a lot more than 1-0.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Can someone explain what’s going on with MLS and negotiations? I heard they might be locked out tomorrow?

I thought they had a contract. How can the owners lock them out?

thanks

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm also hungry for a soccer tournament. The Euros were supposed to be starting on Friday and now we have to wait until next summer for that. So just having different groups and a knock out bracket is exciting to me!

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
3 games a day in i think at 9 am 7 pm and 1030 pm to avoid Florida heat
Draw is tomorrow for TFC's division
All 3 first round games against division count in MLS standings (tourney playoffs don't count)

9:00am is going to be rough on the players. Hopefully the games will be scheduled on weekends to maximize viewership for all the time slots as well.

In any event, I'm stoked. In a few weeks, we'll have gone from no sports to watch to having too many games to watch for our local teams.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm also hungry for a soccer tournament. The Euros were supposed to be starting on Friday and now we have to wait until next summer for that. So just having different groups and a knock out bracket is exciting to me!

The other aspect of this tournament that is unique is that the winner will qualify for a Champions League berth next year, so if any of the Canadian teams win, there will be 2 Canadian teams in the CCL next year - including the winner of the Canadian Championship.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The other aspect of this tournament that is unique is that the winner will qualify for a Champions League berth next year, so if any of the Canadian teams win, there will be 2 Canadian teams in the CCL next year - including the winner of the Canadian Championship.

Yeah it's great for club soccer in the country. I know it's a long shot, but I would love to see a CPL team win the Voyageurs Cup and get into the CCL.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I suspect this will absolutely pump up viewership in July and for the rest of the season.

Being the first sport back in action is huge.

I'm by no means a die hard soccer fan, but this tournament is already marked on the calendar.
I am not either. I have a couple tickets per game but I only go when weather is nice in summer. Most of da early games are freezing at BMO field on da lake. July and August games are almost always really really nice. I went to more games with Seba on roster because guy was so so good. It was clear he was best guy on pitch in every game.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I am not either. I have a couple tickets per game but I only go when weather is nice in summer. Most of da early games are freezing at BMO field on da lake. July and August games are almost always really really nice. I went to more games with Seba on roster because guy was so so good. It was clear he was best guy on pitch in every game.
Seba was definitely the glory days of watching TFC, but Poz has been fun to watch and I'm excited for when Piatti joins the mix!

When it comes down to it, I go to BMO for the fan experience. Closest thing we have to Europe or South America in Canada.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Yeah it's great for club soccer in the country. I know it's a long shot, but I would love to see a CPL team win the Voyageurs Cup and get into the CCL.
In theory, if TFC happens to win the MLS July tourney, then they'd be much less motivated for the voyagers cup, and would rest key guys. A CPL team would have as good a shot as any imo.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Seba was definitely the glory days of watching TFC, but Poz has been fun to watch and I'm excited for when Piatti joins the mix!

When it comes down to it, I go to BMO for the fan experience. Closest thing we have to Europe or South America in Canada.
Does da new guy join squad for this upcoming tourney? I have not seen him yet. What is his number?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
In theory, if TFC happens to win the MLS July tourney, then they'd be much less motivated for the voyagers cup, and would rest key guys. A CPL team would have as good a shot as any imo.

They will have a chance, but let's not forget about the Impact and White Caps. I have season seats to Forge and all I want is to host an MLS team in Hamilton, would be an awesome fan experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad