Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just finished the game, had to watch on delay. Such an tough loss, Seattle was clinical and got some lucky bounced. I also think Oso was fouled on that first Seattle goal but that is a different debate.

Overall we deserved better than a 3-1 loss in this game, that being said we had our share of luck and magic on the run and could have lost in other areas. On to the next season!

Reactions: Kurtz

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bradley's post game speech got me. I gave him some flack at the start of the year for his performances but man he was solid down the stretch. I hope he stays if the two sides can find the right money.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Good fight boys.

We'll see what the off-season brings. TFC losing in the final means that Bradley's $6.5M option doesn't automatically kick in. I want him to stay but not at DP money.

Disappointed by the lack of impact Gallardo had this season. Benezet was OK in spurts. They really need to get more depth at striker given Altidore's frequent injuries. Mullins is not that guy. Laryea should have a bigger role too.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Really sad thing to me was we outplayed Seattle all 3 times in the finals and only got 1 trophy. It is hard to easily win the possession game in 3 finals and only end up with 1 championship. But give Seattle credit for a rock solid defense. and we are clearly missing Seba to put the biscutt in the baskett. and TBH Seattle's 2nd goal made me think Gonzalez is not a top end central defender anymore. He is 1 on 1 and lost. To me that is not a top end defender.

At least team tried to bring in some more skilled and talented players. But we did not get Vasquez and Seba with Poz and Benezet. We got something a little less and it showed in final.

Reactions: Pinto

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
they need more offensive weapons. plenty of guys out there who can do well in this level of league.

Reactions: Pinto

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
they need more offensive weapons. plenty of guys out there who can do well in this level of league.
Yes there are. TFC needs to open up its wallet for another Seba. Let Gallardo and Benezet go. Keep Poz. Negotiate a much lower deal with Brdley. and land a top end defender and let Gonz go.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
In which european league would you put the top teams in MLS where they would be competitive for a championship?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Optimally they target a Vela-type winger who can play centrally when Jozy inevitably misses three months.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Can someone give a brief explanation on what that means?

It means that Toronto can spend a large sum of money to get another player to bolster the roster. Rumours are that we're targeting another striker

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It means that Toronto can spend a large sum of money to get another player to bolster the roster. Rumours are that we're targeting another striker
Meaning they can only spend large on one player?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Meaning they can only spend large on one player?

So in MLS, you're allowed to sign three designated players. These are players you can spend unlimited money on, and will only count XX dollars on the cap. I don't know what this figure is, but its in the ballpark of 500K against your cap. So Jozy Altidore is getting paid 6.3 million.... but will only count like 500K against the cap. Pozuelo gets 3.8M... those are our two DPs right now.

There are also ways to lower a players cap hit (TAM and GAM). I don't know the ins and outs of these, but these are tradable assets that you can trade/acquire with other teams. So lets say Toronto has 2 million in TAM, they can pay Bradly 2.1M in cap space, and buy his cap hit down to 100K using TAM.

So by using TAM on Bradly, they have a spot open where they can pay anybody a high sum of money, and it will only contribute 500K to the cap.

The cap system in MLS is complicated, and I may not be 100% correct in everything I just said... but its roughly how it works.

Reactions: Economist

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So in MLS, you're allowed to sign three designated players. These are players you can spend unlimited money on, and will only count XX dollars on the cap. I don't know what this figure is, but its in the ballpark of 500K against your cap. So Jozy Altidore is getting paid 6.3 million.... but will only count like 500K against the cap. Pozuelo gets 3.8M... those are our two DPs right now.

There are also ways to lower a players cap hit (TAM and GAM). I don't know the ins and outs of these, but these are tradable assets that you can trade/acquire with other teams. So lets say Toronto has 2 million in TAM, they can pay Bradly 2.1M in cap space, and buy his cap hit down to 100K using TAM.

So by using TAM on Bradly, they have a spot open where they can pay anybody a high sum of money, and it will only contribute 500K to the cap.

The cap system in MLS is complicated, and I may not be 100% correct in everything I just said... but its roughly how it works.
Thanks, clear as mud but I think I get the gist.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Thanks, clear as mud but I think I get the gist.

In very simplistic terms, think of it as the team has three max contract slots. Before those were taken up by Pozuelo, Altidore and Bradley.

Now Bradley has signed a non-max contract, so they have an open space to sign another player to one.

Reactions: ACC1224

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Bradley is all class, taking a hometown discount to help the team build a stronger supporting cast moving forward.

Nice to see that sort of selflessness from at least one of our high profile professional athletes in this town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad