Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Team defending on set pieces is abysmal, needs to be sorted as soon as possible. Altidore not the only player with rust either, you can tell a couple of guys are not yet ready. Add on the new coach and system, and you can see this is a team that is learning its identity still.

One positive was Oso being back, seemed to play well despite being in injured the last month or so

Reactions: Joufreau

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
Ya for sure. Even Oso is not up to his usual level yet, he's got another gear.

Will be interesting to see once we get Poz back and get Soteldo into the fold.

Reactions: robertmac43

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
For me, this is sort of a make or break type year for Altidore. When he's at peak condition and healthy he is excellent. But he is never healthy which leaves us with Akinola and Mullins up top. I am already so tired of Mullins being a regular fixture lol If Altidore spends half the year on the shelf as usual this year I'd like to see TFC move on from him. Signed through 2022 though I believe so we'll see

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
That was some horrific defending on set pieces. That back line needs serious work, more than just Mavinga's return. They acquired $200K more allocation yesterday so hope that's where it goes.

Also, might be time to move on from Jozy.

We'll see what happens once he shakes some of the rust off but I tend to agree. Not sure Jozy is a good fit in Armas' style of play.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We were missing our best forward and best defender (among others) against arguably the best club in CONCACAF last night. It's hard to be upset at a 3-1 loss, especially on short rest.

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
We were missing our best forward and best defender (among others) against arguably the best club in CONCACAF last night. It's hard to be upset at a 3-1 loss, especially on short rest.

Did you watch the game though? It wasn't so much the result itself it's how the result came to be. Really sloppy play all over the field, constantly turning the ball over. Give Cruz Azul credit for sure. They played mostly mistake free all night and counter attacked really well, took advantage of some set pieces.

I thought Cruz would be better to be honest. Actually thought Club Leon looked more dangerous in the games we played against them although Cruz was much tighter defensively.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Jozy just is not consistent enough to hold a DP spot imo.
I’ve wanted him gone for 2 years.
He’s just a liability at this point and even the games he shows up he’s just to expensive to justify a DP spot.

Pozuelo, Soteldo, Osorio and Laryea are the core of this team.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Wouldn't this be great?
I love that JD is getting this kind of interest, however, I would love for him to stay at Lille for one more year. Still, some inconsistencies in his game and I would be worried about losing playing time if he goes out of form.

Lille seems like a safer spot for his development at this point in time.

Reactions: heatersthebest

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I love that JD is getting this kind of interest, however, I would love for him to stay at Lille for one more year. Still, some inconsistencies in his game and I would be worried about losing playing time if he goes out of form.

Yeah, this doesn't sound like anything's close anyway. But to have a Canadian in that kind of conversation is great.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

I agree. Lille is still high profile enough that he won't be out of sight. Let him develop more and mature before making a big leap to teams that have the resources to bury him if he doesn't come out of the gate firing on all cylinders.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Looking forward to tomorrow's game. Sounds like we will have some players starting to come back to health and with Soltedo in the fold there is a lot to look forward to.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Looking forward to tomorrow's game. Sounds like we will have some players starting to come back to health and with Soltedo in the fold there is a lot to look forward to.
Is Soteldo going to play tomorrow?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Under way here in Harrison!
20210508_130804_HDR.jpg

If there's a crowd shot you'll notice me for sure :)

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Watching my 4th TFC game this season.

The young players look awful tbh.

The best players are still the vets by far. Bradley, Lareya, Mavinga.

Akinola in particular looks awful as well as our CBs

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Akinla and Nelson have had their touch let them down a couple of times tonight. Excited to hopefully get a glimpse of Yeferson in this second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad