Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Never seen soteldo. We could use a dynamic winger though that would round out our offense.

Dykstra

whiskey jpeg pgt
May 1, 2010
Living in Brazil i had the chance to watch a lot of Solteldo's games, so i can tell this is an unbelievable signing for u guys. He looks like a dwarf on the pitch, but he was one of the best players in Brazil and South America in general, one of the reasons Santos reached Libertadores final with a team in shambles.

Hope it works out great for ur club.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Good effort today to grind out a draw with a depleted lineup.

Great news regarding Soteldo.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto FC officially announce signing of designated player Yeferson Soteldo - Waking The Red

TORONTO, Canada—Toronto FC announced today that the club has come to terms with Yeferson Soteldo as the club’s third designated player through 2025. The transfer was confirmed on Saturday by his former club Santos FC.

TFC acquired the Venezuelan international for a reported fee of $6.5 million US, the fourth most expensive signing in club history behind only Michael Bradley, Jermain Defoe, and Alejandro Pozuelo.

“I am very excited to come to Toronto FC. It is one of the most important sports organizations in Canada and the United States,” said Soteldo in a press release. “It is an MLS Cup champion, has great players, and most importantly, they are always competing to win. They have amazing fans and facilities”

“We are very excited for Yeferson to join our club. He is a dynamic, exciting, fearless player who will immediately improve our already strong roster,” added Toronto FC President Bill Manning. “He checks the boxes of what we were looking for in a DP, an attacking player who adds a different dimension to our side, and I think our fans will be excited to see him in a TFC uniform.”

The Venezuelan international winger made 104 appearances for Santos, scoring 20 goals and adding 17 assists since joining the club in January 2019. Last season, Soteldo was named to the 2020 Conmebol Copa Libertadores Best XI, and made the 2020 Team of the Year in the Campeonato Paulista (São Paulo’s premier state championship).

According to transfermarkt, the 23 year old’s multi-year deal will be worth around $5 million a season, with Santos retaining a 12.5 per cent sell-on fee should Toronto sell him outside of MLS. Huachipato, meanwhile, will receive all of the transfer fee from Toronto as Santos still owed the Chilean side for the purchase of Soteldo back in 2019. The Brazilian side, who found themselves in a serious bit of financial trouble, will also pay an additional $500,000 to Huachipato in installments until June.

At $8.8 million US, he is currently the second most valuable player on the Toronto FC roster, and at 23 years of age, there’s still a high possibility that number will grow, especially if the shifty winger can hit the ground running.

“We are excited for Yeferson to join the team and integrate himself within our environment. He is an exciting player and he will help our team. Very happy and grateful that our board supports this team in a way where we are able to find and acquire a player of his caliber,” added Toronto FC General Manager Ali Curtis. “Yeferson is a difference maker. We will wrap our arms around he and his family, such that Yeferson can enjoy his football, teammates, and the new environment.”

Reactions: Kurtz

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
underwhelming performance last night. Things that stood out to me include:
- our center backs are slow and not very good, exposed over and over last night. We are really missing Mavinga right now
- Altidore was shaking off quite a bit of rust.
- set pieces were a disaster
- Shaffleburg had some good runs. Really pushed the defense back a few times with his pace.
- Ralph Priso is going to be a really important player for us going forward. Always in the right spot, good defending, great poise under pressure. What really stands out to me is his first touch and ability to move the ball forward. A bright spot in an otherwise poor performance. Really feel like the sky is the limit for this kid.

We've got a mountain to climb in the second leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->