Proposal: Toronto- Carolina

Johniac

Jul 18, 2011
North Carolina
I really doubt Nylander would be the kind of player that Brind'Amour would like in his roster. If they know Hamilton will not resign in the next year, they would go in a different direction with the available cash/cap.

While I like Andersen's consistency, he is about to be 31 and who knows what he expects for his next contract. Canes are saying that it is not worth giving up assets for that possibility.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think you are making a big (or bigger) issue over a really small difference versus trying to see the alternative points being made. You seem to have glossed over the "independent and supplemental" part (in #141) as well as if those words were meaningless. That sentence was supplemental and not the main point which should have been pretty clear given the specificity of the wording.

If you look at the goalies still in the playoffs, none other than Vasilevskiy is (or was) a "big name" goalie, and yet they have done a great job and have been instrumental in their team reaching Conference/Cup finals. Ironically, some of those same goalies are on the free agent list that was provided.

And, don't think any waiting is necessary given that you've already been provided with a list. I think we will just go in circles at this point though.

There is an argument to be made that having a big name goalie is a disadvantage in winning a cup. You look at teams that have gone far or won it recently -- Jordan Binnington did it as a rookie. Matt Murray did it twice as a rookie. The Dallas stars have gone far on the back of a career backup.

Maybe it's the fact that these guys aren't as fatigued as you get late into the playoffs. Maybe it's that the "book isn't out on them as much". Maybe it's the lack of pressure to perform. Maybe it's the fact that not spending $6m+ on a goalie frees up that much more cap space to invest on the team infront of him. Even Tampa, Vasilevsky is a premier goalie in the league, but he only makes $3.5m right now.

The bottom line is -- every year -- without fail -- there is/are some goalie(s) that practically speaking, come from nowhere and put the team on their back. Did anyone seriously think that the WCF goaltending matchup would be Lehner versus Khudobin? The challenge of course is -- you really never know if/when it's going to be your guy.

The Canes have an opportunity this year. Svechnikov is in the last year of his ELC and Dougie Hamilton is an impending UFA. They don't have much in the way of guys needing raises this year.

I think the Canes realize that the tandem of Mrazek & Reimer aren't going to do it -- they need to make some sort of a change. Given the revolving door of goalies that have been through in the last 5 years trying to replace Cam Ward (Mrazek, Reimer, Darling, Lack, Khudobin, Peters), it wouldn't be unfair to say that they might be tired of betting on hope & unproven guys -- especially when both Hamilton & Svechnikov are going to be looking for fairly substantial money (although I think a bridge deal for Svech is probably a sound approach from both sides).

I'm not saying the deal as proposed makes sense, personally, I don't think it makes sense for either team.... but the concept of Andersen to Carolina makes a ton of sense, especially since as far as bonafide, true, 60-game #1 goalies, we all know about his ubusrd $1m salary, but even at his $5m cap hit -- he's still the cheapest in the league next year. The only others who've done it and are comparably priced (or likely to be) are Dubnyk, Jones & Holtby -- all finished the year with 3.00+ GAAs and sub .900 save percentages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad