Proposal: Toronto-Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Didn't someone post a QOC chart with advanced stats and Risto had some of the worst shot suppression/ defensive stats of anyone on the list (shows he did face hard competition though), I was surprised.
Forgot ehat thread that was in.

thefish

Feb 23, 2016
Didn't someone post a QOC chart with advanced stats and Risto had some of the worst shot suppression/ defensive stats of anyone on the list (shows he did face hard competition though), I was surprised.
Forgot ehat thread that was in.

https://public.tableau.com/shared/PKM9B2QNZ?:display_count=yes

while there can be more to hockey than these charts, Risto is horrendously bad. The idea that it's ridiculous to prefer Rielly is really only defensible if you look at points and nothing else

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
For what reason? There are many people who don't think Risto is good.

I'm one of them.

There's arguably not a single facet of the game where Rielly > Risto

Toronto with Ristolainen is better than Toronto with Rielly, and I really don't think there's an argument to be made otherwise unless Rielly makes serious strides

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Why? He gets destroyed defensively. He's a good offensive D who gets destroyed when in a shutdown roe and with possession. Any gap is not nearly as large between those two as it is for the Nylander bros.

You basically just described Rielly, except Ristolainen is better at virtually everything. Like I said, I understand Toronto fans not liking the trade because of the Nylander swap I'm just saying I don't think there's any reason but homerism to take Rielly over Risto at this point, although I think Rielly has potential as a low end #1

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

while there can be more to hockey than these charts, Risto is horrendously bad. The idea that it's ridiculous to prefer Rielly is really only defensible if you look at points and nothing else

Cant seem to open that on my phone but it wasn't a hero chart. It was like CF, CA, xGF etc as well as the relative to team stats, looked like it was a excel style table.
Ya people who don't watch the Leafs don't realise Rielly was used as a shutdown defender with no PP time pretty much and a lot of defensive zone starts.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
There's arguably not a single facet of the game where Rielly > Risto

Toronto with Ristolainen is better than Toronto with Rielly, and I really don't think there's an argument to be made otherwise unless Rielly makes serious strides

Incorrect.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I actually enjoy them. Watching people argue about fake stuff. And how people get so bent out of shape.

Fair enough i guess. I would just like to have an intelligent conversation on here as a Leafs fan without all of the "stupid Leafs fans derp derp" type posts. It's these asinine threads started with a purpose of seeing people get into a pissing match (which has already started) that cause those posts. Sabres fans should know we wouldn't make this offer....and Leafs fans now Risto isn't available.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Fair enough i guess. I would just like to have an intelligent conversation on here as a Leafs fan without all of the "stupid Leafs fans derp derp" type posts. It's these asinine threads started with a purpose of seeing people get into a pissing match (which has already started) that cause those posts. Sabres fans should know we wouldn't make this offer....and Leafs fans now Risto isn't available.

I think most Sabres and Leaf fans know this. It's just a select vocal few on both sides.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

So both dman are horrendously bad defensively. Maybe it's just getting the RHD for the LHD. Isn't Alex more greasy than William? They might be equal value too, considering their depifferent types of play?
I see this as an even and fair trade that would change the look of both teams in a positive way.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Based on everything. He's not good defensively, not physical, has no shot and doesn't put up points on a stacked offensive team and his hockey IQ is questionable.
He's one of the best players in the league at zone exits, rushes the puck as good as anyone, can absolutely dominate play in the offensive zone at times (limited opportunity to do so), and has an elite breakout pass with elite skating. His conditioning is top notch (broke the twist record w/ a 60" vertical) and has been since his junior days. Logging 25 minutes a night won't be/isn't an issue for him. Also, no shot? His wrist shot is very good, it's his slap shot that is non-existent.

His low PP time is the cause for him stagnating at around 30pts/year, and is a product of Babcock wanting him to focus solely on his defensive game at this early stage in his career, rather than him not being capable (as per his words).

He has every tool to become a good #1D.

Risto has some of the worst underlying defensive numbers of any defenseman in the league. He likely has a slight edge on Rielly at this point in their career but that in itself is arguable, while the difference between the Nylander's is massive, both today and moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad