Proposal: Toronto and Columbus

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Bozak probably gets second and an okay prospect or 2 seconds

Agreed. There's a handful of examples of similar players returning a 1st so it's possible, but more likely along the lines of what you've quoted. But the chances of him only returning a 2nd are pretty remote IMO.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I wouldn't do it. Jack Johnson is a UFA in a year and we're giving up the clear best player in the deal.

Take out Gardiner and your 2 LHD and we can work around Bozak alone instead if need be. Albeit, there's a lot of teams that need a #2/Middle-6 C so I wouldn't be surprised to see his cost being more than others think.

2, 2nd rounders would be on the low-end of a buying price, IMO.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Do you have a third C better than (or even close to) Bozak?

Dubi = Kadri (playing defense and scoring points).

Wennberg = Matthews (figuratively)

Bozak =Bozak.

If you are gunning for a true #1C well then that package ain't gonna do it.

You also seem to overlook the fact that Jake Gardiner is... by far... the best player in this deal, and choose to argue over Tyler Bozak.

Wennberg
Dubinsky
Bozak

Werenski - Jones
Gardiner - Savard

pretty sweet

Using your logic, why would the Leafs make this trade ... neither JJ or Murray are an upgrade on Gardiner?
I'm saying we have Dubi and Wennberg. We want a guy that MAKES Dubi move down. We want Dubi to do what he does but at a lesser TOI for a more offensively focused playmaker. A Duchene, T. Johnson, or maybe Little. PLD might even be able to do it for us but you can't expect a 19yo to come in am immediately do that. Bozak just comes into the 3C and makes us trade valuable assets to take time away from our kid developing and not being a big improvement. Duchene or TJ can bring in a different speedy offensive playstyle then our grit.

No one is mentioning Gardiner because he isn't needed here. We have overload at LHD and I'd rather have JJ with Savard. If also rather Murray with Jones and Werenski with Savard. Anyone thay doubts Murray watch him and Jones.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
You might want to try paying attention to what happens at the deadline this year...or any other deadline in the past for that matter. Then you'll see how wrong this statement is. Players much worse than Bozak fetch much more than a 2nd on a consistent basis.

The point is he is effectively an extended rental at this point. Unless CBJ plans to re-sign at his new UFA rate which I doubt they do.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Only Reilly can play top 4 minutes no one on that list can be anything but a 3rd pair lhd this upcoming season. Just because the leafs have depth doesn't mean they are good enough for the top 4.

thats like saying zits couldn't be a top 4 last year. which he was do some scouting report on the 2 euros we singed this off season

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
To TOR:
Jack Johnson
Ryan Murray
2018 1st
2019 conditional third (if Bozak re signs)

To CBJ
Tyler Bozak
Jake Gardiner

There is really no deal to be made between these teams. Columbus would want Kadri. They might - stressing might pick up Bozak at the trade deadline if he's a cheap acquisition. Since the Leafs are probably a playoff contender, I doubt they will be selling at the deadline.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Can a CBJ fan give me a report on Ryan Murray.

His stats seem underwhelming but I don't get a chance to see him in action very much.

What is his value?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

His stats seem underwhelming but I don't get a chance to see him in action very much.

What is his value?
The average CBJ fan will say defensive minded top 4 with upside. 2 people in the entire fan base will say bottom pair at best. There are some of us that see him as 2/3D with still a tiny upside but likely always a 2/3 who can always play top pair shutdown.

The average consensus though would be top 4 with #2 potential I think.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

What is his value?

Good vision, stick work, strength, positioning, passing, awareness. Never had much of a shot. Was a very good skater, but he's been markedly slowed due to injury (like Olli Maatta, but not that slow). His offensive game is untapped, imo, I think he could play as a PP distributor for most clubs, just not Columbus. There is a substantial risk with his injuries - he was held out of the playoffs this year and I think it was because of something more fundamental than the hand injury.

You might get a #2D who scores 30+ points with PP time, or you might get a guy who barely plays. No one knows.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
I would just like Jenner from the Jackets. Leafs need some more physicality and skill in their lineup.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Wayyyyy biased to leafs. You could probably take out Johnson and they'd do it.

no they wouldnt

I doubt the leafs even do Murray + 1st + 3rd for Gardiner let alone with Bozak included.

easily their best dman last year, late 1st and 3rd do nothing for the team as is so..... yeah no

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
To TOR:
Jack Johnson
Ryan Murray
2018 1st
2019 conditional third (if Bozak re signs)

To CBJ
Tyler Bozak
Jake Gardiner

Seeing how the advance stats marks don't even consider JJ an NHL caliber talent, Murray is just ok, a pick is always nice but not a need for the Leafs. Total pass.

Don't want to give up a C where we have no depth and the best defenseman in the deal. People saying CBJ is getting rip off? The **** does this deal do for the Leafs?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why im open to trading Gardiner ,

Left shooting Dman we have in our system . Just to new few !
Rielly
Andrew Nielsen
ANDREAS BORGMAN
CALLE ROSÉN
Travis Dermott
Fedor Gordeev
Ryan O'Connell
J.D. Greenway
Keaton Middleton
Stephen Desrocher

HFBoards in a nutshell ladies and gentlemen.

ONE proven NHL defenseman!!

You didn't even sign Desrocher.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'd do this for the Jackets if Duchene and all are out.

Jackets aren't going to beat what Sakic wants- which was rumoured to be Hamonic, 1st, and a prospect. If the rumours are true of course.

And as a Leaf fan, I'd do that deal easily. No to the OP's offer when you factor in contracts.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Jackets aren't going to beat what Sakic wants- which was rumoured to be Hamonic, 1st, and a prospect. If the rumours are true of course.

And as a Leaf fan, I'd do that deal easily. No to the OP's offer when you factor in contracts.

Jackets can beat that. Sakic switched his attention from Murray to Carlsson for the centerpiece, that's the problem for Jarmo. Everybody wants the ELCs.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
The point is he is effectively an extended rental at this point. Unless CBJ plans to re-sign at his new UFA rate which I doubt they do.

I didn't state otherwise. My point is simply rental or not, clearly Bozak returns more than a single 2nd round pick.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
HFBoards in a nutshell ladies and gentlemen.

ONE proven NHL defenseman!!

You didn't even sign Desrocher.

Doesn't that argument work both ways? What has Murray done other getting drafted 2 OA, honesty is he half the defenseman that Gardiner is? How do the numbers bear out.

JJ sucks and Murray < Gardiner, the OP proposal is silly.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Do you have a third C better than (or even close to) Bozak?

Dubi = Kadri (playing defense and scoring points).

Wennberg = Matthews (figuratively)

Bozak = Bozak.

If you are gunning for a true #1C well then that package ain't gonna do it.

You also seem to overlook the fact that Jake Gardiner is... by far... the best player in this deal, and choose to argue over Tyler Bozak.

Wennberg
Dubinsky
Bozak

Werenski - Jones
Gardiner - Savard

pretty sweet

Using your logic, why would the Leafs make this trade ... neither JJ or Murray are an upgrade on Gardiner?

Well we have a #3 overall pick who has been touted all off-season as "should be ready to not only make the team, but make the team better" by the Jackets FO

So why would we waste asset's when we don't need Bozak.

THE ONLY TRADE FOR A CENTER WILL BE SOMEONE BETTER THAN OR EQUAL TO WENNBERG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad