TSN: Toronto’s salary cap balancing act, through the eyes of McDavid, Toews and Tavares

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Yea Dubas is going to have to pull it out of his ass to keep all the talent long-term. I think he can do it, but he has to be pretty good.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
With the new deals coming out nowadays, you’ve got to find those players that are willing to take a discount to keep the team competitive.

I have always thought that Edmonton management had to ask McDavid to drop down his price tag. I didn’t know it was McDavid that talked to management himself to drop down his price a little to ensure the team could stay competitive. Even from a rival standpoint, you can’t help but admire that.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
Dont get me wrong, I understand what they are saying. But anyone else find it ridiculous that you've got players griping about having a short window to make money for the rest of your life or about having to earn money to take care of their families. These guys (making $10M+) all are earning more in one year that about 99% of north americans will earn over their entire careers.

I think I would rather just hear them acknowledge the fact that everyone wants to earn money in line with how they view their value compared to their contemporaries. It's about being value and recognized (for a lot of people). I know as much as I want the company I work for to be prosperous and succesful, I would have a very hard time earning less than what I think I'm worth. I know it's not exactly the same thing as they are living out dreams and trying to win championships compared to me working a job that I didn't even know existed growing up, but you get my point

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yea Dubas is going to have to pull it out of his ass to keep all the talent long-term. I think he can do it, but he has to be pretty good.
Steve Yzerman proved it can be done in Tampa Bay. Prior to him stepping down he re-signed Stamkos, Kucherov, Headman and McDonagh to those long term deals which were both at 7 and 8 years for each of them.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
I have always thought that Edmonton management had to ask McDavid to drop down his price tag. I didn’t know it was McDavid that talked to management himself to drop down his price a little to ensure the team could stay competitive. Even from a rival standpoint, you can’t help but admire that.

In principle it's great. But 500k isn't exactly a huge discount off of $13M. That's a 3.8% discount

It's a nice gesture, but it's also not something that really provides that much help in a franchise building around the star player either

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Dont get me wrong, I understand what they are saying. But anyone else find it ridiculous that you've got players griping about having a short window to make money for the rest of your life or about having to earn money to take care of their families. These guys (making $10M+) all are earning more in one year that about 99% of north americans will earn over their entire careers.

I think I would rather just hear them acknowledge the fact that everyone wants to earn money in line with how they view their value compared to their contemporaries. It's about being value and recognized (for a lot of people). I know as much as I want the company I work for to be prosperous and succesful, I would have a very hard time earning less than what I think I'm worth. I know it's not exactly the same thing as they are living out dreams and trying to win championships compared to me working a job that I didn't even know existed growing up, but you get my point

Exactly. I would rather them be straight up than talk about taking care of their families like the common man.

We understand. Movie stars get paid a lot too because of how much movies make and there are not many A-listers around. We get it.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It's not hard at all. All depends on your priorities.

Leafs can sign Tavares for 11 million, and Matthews for 10, and Marner and Nylander for 8.5 million each if they want to.

But then say bye-bye to Marleau, Hainsey, Gardiner & maybe even Kadri soon.

If they have great, cheap young talent coming up to replace Marleau, Gardiner & Kadri.......they're fine. If they don't........trouble.

I think they DO have that coming up. Their names are Dermott, Liljegren, Johnsson & Kapanen. Maybe even Der-Arguchintsev(he's looking great so far).

No worries.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So you solution is "get them all to sign cheaper deals like Yzerman did". Gotcha.

Well it helps right? Like if they just paid them what they could easily get on the open market - there is a large difference if everyone takes a discount.

Example, right now the rumors I have heard in the "media" and HF that would be worst case scenario.

Matthews wants McDavid money.
Nylander is asking for 8M looking for something in the 7's
Marner will hold out and push for close to Matthews money.

Now if they all got signed to something that makes some sort of sense.

Matthews takes the Tavares deal.. RFA vs UFA, no media BS of who's team it is, etc etc, that right there saves 1.5 AAV

Nylander gets hardballed into signing for 6.5 - saves roughly 1M

Marner signs for 8.5 instead of 9M

The team now has 3M more in cap space to play with then if they just paid them. Then when you factor in that Kadri and Rielly left millions on the table, all together it means they can afford either two 3M players or a 6-7M player they wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Leafs aren't the first - and won't be the last to be in this situation. Jets are in a worse spot and further along in their plan.. The Leafs will be there in a few years.

However everyone aside from Leaf fans WANT the team to fall apart. It's evident by the tone in all of these threads. The fact is, Shanny I don't think has made one single mistake yet and they have several cap experts employed. They didn't blindly sign Tavares and then go "Well shit".

I have no choice but to trust that they will get it done. Whether they win - well who knows.. Winning is hard. Even Tampa with all that flexibility has been competing for nearly 5 years and never won.

No one can say they won't win, and no one can say they will. I just wish that fans would stop wishing for my team to fall apart when they have been nothing but a broken mess for 50 years. We deserve to have a good team after all these years.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
That maybe true, however at least in Toronto look at the marketing and endorsements Leafs players can also make.

Yes, but their is just so many that pays really well, and to be honest, Nylander aint the companies first choice, so for him endorsement is not a big cashcow.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's not hard at all. All depends on your priorities.

Leafs can sign Tavares for 11 million, and Matthews for 10, and Marner and Nylander for 8.5 million each if they want to.

But then say bye-bye to Marleau, Hainsey, Gardiner & maybe even Kadri soon.

If they have great, cheap young talent coming up to replace Marleau, Gardiner & Kadri.......they're fine. If they don't........trouble.

I think they DO have that coming up. Their names are Dermott, Liljegren, Johnsson & Kapanen. Maybe even Der-Arguchintsev(he's looking great so far).

No worries.
Since Dermott, Liljegren, Johnsson & Kapanen are their young and up coming players, it's also a good chance after this season Hainsey might not be re-signed and it's debatable what will happen with Gardiner. Plus next season will be the last year of Marleau's contract.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Since Dermott, Liljegren, Johnsson & Kapanen are their young and up coming players, it's also a good chance after this season Hainsey might not be re-signed and it's debatable what will happen with Gardiner. Plus next season will be the last year of Marleau's contract.

Oh for sure. That's why it's so laughable when people try to say the Leafs will be in "cap hell" soon. It's just wishful thinking on their part. :)

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I have no doubt they can keep the core but some of the next wave will be casualties when their payday is up like Dermott, Johnson, kap, and Lily.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Steve Yzerman proved it can be done in Tampa Bay. Prior to him stepping down he re-signed Stamkos, Kucherov, Headman and McDonagh to those long term deals which were both at 7 and 8 years for each of them.
Okay well lets say that Nylander signs a 7mil contract for 8 years. That leads the Leafs to 6.316 mil of cap space for this year. Let us also assume the cap rises by about 4 mil tops (for max cap space increase). That gives the Leafs 10.316 mil for the next season + expiring contracts(8.35mil for defense+ 5.045mil forwards)=23.711 mil in cap space for next season max. Lets say that Marner asks for an 7.5 mil contract and Matthews asks for 10.5 (which is about the lowest you could expect them to ask). That leaves us with 5.711 mil in cap space to get 8 more roster players for the following season (3 defensemen and 5 forwards). You can also add how ever much LTIR money Toronto is able to stash away from Hortons contract.

So the total is 5.711mil + x(maxed at 5.3mil?) for the 8 roster players.

Got the numbers from cap friendly.

Reactions: bh53

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
First of all, the Leafs don't need guys to take discounts to stay together. They just need to take reasonable deals that are in the "comparables" area.

Secondly, Mitch Marner may mess things up by being too good too fast. Last summer I expected he'd sign for about what Nylander will get.
Based on his last 50 games, he's going to get a fair bit more.

I won't worry about it. We have some of the best cap people in the business on it. One of which wrote the damned cap rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->