Player Discussion Torey Krug VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

I don't see anyone saying not to sign Krug though. I see people quantifying why we shouldn't give Krug whatever he wants and providing rational behind why they think that. Its significantly different than someone saying "I don't care what analysis is thrown out there" when talking about Krug. On top of that I think everyone is an agreement that the PP would take a hit without Krug, the debate is around how much of a hit. That's where all we can do to try and understand it, is to look and see how has the PP looked without Krug previously.

Sounds like everyone feeling is they'd like to re-sign Krug. Some if the deal is right for the team and some no matter what.

I think there are plenty of people saying that in a roundabout way. Sure no one has said "No matter what Torey wants, get him out of here" but there are some saying it in a very roundabout way. Especially in the context of some of those posters..thoughts...over the last few years.

and there are definitely plenty of people saying the PP won't take a hit if Krug walks. I don't want to bombard the page with quotes so I'll spare us of that but there absolutely 100% has been a group of people saying "just slide Gryz or McAvoy in and the PP will be the same"

I'm also not saying it's wrong to want to let Torey Krug walk. There's risk to signing him at a market level contract, there's risk to letting him walk...but let's not pretend some are playing with "facts" and others are just opinions/feelings here. They're all varying levels of opinions.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Takes a one year deal here

Laaaa-ock
I think this is what ends up happening.

Krejci, Rask Halak and then Krug would all end at the same time. (Carlo Ritchie Kase RFAs expire as well)

Don will have more work to do but also more $$$ to do so.

Still not completely convinced Don doesnt get something long-term done somehow right now though.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think there are plenty of people saying that in a roundabout way. Sure no one has said "No matter what Torey wants, get him out of here" but there are some saying it in a very roundabout way. Especially in the context of some of those posters..thoughts...over the last few years.

and there are definitely plenty of people saying the PP won't take a hit if Krug walks. I don't want to bombard the page with quotes so I'll spare us of that but there absolutely 100% has been a group of people saying "just slide Gryz or McAvoy in and the PP will be the same"

I'm also not saying it's wrong to want to let Torey Krug walk. There's risk to signing him at a market level contract, there's risk to letting him walk...but let's not pretend some are playing with "facts" and others are just opinions/feelings here. They're all varying levels of opinions.

Maybe I have these people blocked because I don't recall people saying this.

We can agree to disagree on this one. Its one thing to to have "feelings" based on statistical evidence, its another to have feelings no matter what the stats say. I think my post showing the advanced numbers between Heinen/DeBrusk/Coyle illustrates that pretty well. No one was even willing to take a guess as which player was which, but the opinion (feeling) by many here was that Heinen was a bum while Coyle/DeBrusk are top 6 players.

Again we can agree to disagree on this one.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Well... ya don’t need advanced stats to see that Heinen laid an egg in the playoffs last year.

or his declining offensive production for 3 straight years

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
That's fine, but you're still not saying "don't sign him" you just don't want a long-term deal. Would you consider a 1yr, 2yr or 3yr deal? If so then you're willing to sign him. It not as if your thought is don't sign him no matter what.

That's fair. Sure, a one- or two-year deal could work well for both parties, but there is no way that Krug would sign one. He's already taken ones for the team in previous contracts in terms of length and money; now is his chance to cash in on a long-term deal.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Krug is 1 of the 2 top defenseman in the FA market. I just don't see how he doesnt go for payday and get all he can with so much uncertainty. A 1 or 2 year deal. Not a chance IMO

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I think the new CBA will allow the Bruins to do some creative bookkeeping now when it comes to Krug.

Because of the cap on escrow (declining over the years) it will become more likely that agreement can be reached on a back loaded deal as opposed to a front loaded deal - meaning more money in Krug's pocket because of lessor escrow paid later on. (20% next year versus 6% in 23/24).

Working against a deal is that the old CBA allowed for a 50% difference in salary from the highest salaried season to the lowest salaried season. That now drops to 35%.

A 6 year deal worth $36 million under the old CBA is worth less then a 6 year deal worth $36 million in terms of money in Krug's pocket simply because of escrow.

Now, Evan Gold needs to work his magic.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
That's fair. Sure, a one- or two-year deal could work well for both parties, but there is no way that Krug would sign one. He's already taken ones for the team in previous contracts in terms of length and money; now is his chance to cash in on a long-term deal.

Yup. What happens if he tears his ACL over the summer (or, I guess, fall)? That's a whole lot of money running away. Weirder things have happened.

As you said he's already taken discounts on pay and length, this is his first and last chance to really cash in. I want him back and I think the team would be much, MUCH worse without him, but I completely understand if he opts to at least check the market. If he likes the area, team and can stomach a few million less over 5-6 years, I hope he'll consider staying.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
With free agency looming, Bruins’ Torey Krug knows the risks of playing - The Boston Globe

The financial risk for Torey Krug returning to play is higher than that of many NHLers. The point-producing Bruins backliner, who turned 29 during the NHL lockdown, will be working under an expiring contract when postseason play begins early next month.

Provided he doesn’t come to terms on a new deal with Boston GM Don Sweeney in the meantime, Krug in October or November formally will become an unrestricted free agent and be able to cut a deal with any NHL club.

Ultimately, Krug should see a pay day of at least some $7.5 million per season over a minimum six seasons. But until then, he’ll be playing with his health and checkbook at risk, all amid the intense competition of oft-ferocious postseason play.

“It’s definitely risky — I’d be lying to you if I said it’s not,” Krug said during Zoom session following the club’s Monday morning practice. “Having, you know, three or four months off and then going into the most intense hockey you can possibly play at any level. There is always risk of injury whenever you play, but certainly in this moment you don’t have the normal training that you do, the preparation, all the work to make sure your body feels good and you can go in there without any worries.”

That said, added Krug, “Any time you get a chance to compete for the Stanley Cup, I think you take it every time you get it. Hopefully we can do that as a group and enjoy each other’s company in the bubble up [in Toronto] and hopefully come home with something we can hang our hat on.”

Reactions: RustyBruins72

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
If Krug walks is this the beginning of the end?

Could we loose him, Chara, Rask, Krejci and maybe Bergeron (turning 35 next week with a modified NTC/NMC that kicks in next year) within the next 12 months? If Ray can leave in this fashion so can Patrice (sadly), especially with a bare cupboard. Given the wear and tear on Marchand I could see a steep dive in performance towards the end of his deal, especially without Patrice and that uncanny chemistry. We have never been a welcoming star-power UFA destination.

And even though we all love Pasta and McAvoy, like the upside in Carlo and DeBrusk and hold out hope that Studs and Vaakanainen can over-achieve, the reality is we might be on the cusp of a statistical implosion.

This cup run might be our best chance for a very long time. I hope not but I am not that optimistic. So maybe not signing Krug is part of a larger agenda to re-build this team through the always risky draft. Looking at the upside of teams like the Rangers who have impressively rebuilt that base in very short order could we do the same? Is Don capable of a lightning fast, masterful makeover on the fly? I keep moving in and out of confidence in him. Always have. Or do we revert to the Neely-driven, always present, never-say-die mantra and go down fighting into mediocrity?

This a real turning point in Bruins history we are witnessing here.

Someone cheer me up please. :help:

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

Could we loose him, Chara, Rask, Krejci and maybe Bergeron (turning 35 next week with a modified NTC/NMC that kicks in next year) within the next 12 months? If Ray can leave in this fashion so can Patrice (sadly), especially with a bare cupboard. Given the wear and tear on Marchand I could see a steep dive in performance towards the end of his deal, especially without Patrice and that uncanny chemistry. We have never been a welcoming star-power UFA destination.

And even though we all love Pasta and McAvoy, like the upside in Carlo and DeBrusk and hold out hope that Studs and Vaakanainen can over-achieve, the reality is we might be on the cusp of a statistical implosion.

This cup run might be our best chance for a very long time. I hope not but I am not that optimistic. So maybe not signing Krug is part of a larger agenda to re-build this team through the always risky draft. Looking at the upside of teams like the Rangers who have impressively rebuilt that base in very short order could we do the same? Is Don capable of a lightning fast, masterful makeover on the fly? I keep moving in and out of confidence in him. Always have. Or do we revert to the Neely-driven, always present, never-say-die mantra and go down fighting into mediocrity?

The Borque and Bergeron situations are nothing alike lol. Bergy already has a Cup and the team is still very competitive and he is signed through 21-22 and is the teams next captain, he aint going anywhere.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Jesus. Take a deep breath

Reactions: JCRO

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019

Players come and go, just like the good times. The Bruins will suck again some day, and they will be contenders again some day.

As long as the crest on the front remains the same it will always be good, even when it’s bad

Reactions: DKH

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Players come and go, just like the good times. The Bruins will suck again some day, and they will be contenders again some day.

As long as the crest on the front remains the same it will always be good, even when it’s bad

Yep....pretty much this.
In my lifetime I have been so lucky in that the lean years have been far and between. Since the 60's in at least every decade they have been competing for a shot at the Cup. Thats a pretty good run. Even with a bump here and there.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Good player, but if he walks the only thing that ends is his time in Boston. He stays he stays, he leaves then good luck to him playing for any better teams that he's been on playing for the Bruins or for any better power play group.

I still think he goes for the highest bidder and and won't be Boston.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Unless Quebec magically gets a franchise in the next couple years, Bergeron's not leaving. Krejci may leave, but if he does, then it probably means they're comfortable with his replacement. People have been expecting Chara to retire for a few years now. For years we thought we'd never be able to replace him, but I feel good about the long-term defense even without him. Krug would be a loss, but that money doesn't just disappear if he doesn't re-sign. You'll lose his talent, but maybe improve somewhere else. I'd expect them to pay Rask to stay, but if he decides to leave, they'll figure it out. They've got some solid goaltending prospects in Providence.

Everyone thought this team was going to need a re-build after they missed the playoffs in 2014-15 and 2015-16, but they turned it around and only Tampa and Washington have more points than them since 2016 and only Washington and Nashville have more playoff wins.

Sure, they may be in for a rebuild soon, but since the NHL-WHA merger in 1979, the Bruins have never missed the playoffs more than 2 years in a row. The last time they missed the playoffs 3 years in a row was 1967, which was literally the last season of the Original Six Era.

I'm probably less of a fan of the Neely/Sweeney/Cassidy regime than most, but I'm confident this team will continue to be a successful franchise even after they lose the players who've played a key part for 10-15 years.

member 96824

Ehhhh I watched Paul Pierce in a nets jersey and it was one of the better things that happened to the franchise since Red Auerbach.

If the B’s went down a path of mediocrity and weren’t going to be competitive, I trust they would make the smart decisions over the emotional ones..even with Patrice Bergeron.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’d like to see him sign a one year deal due to all the uncertainty and where this team is

with Krug they are top 5 overall going into next year if there is a season

they have a deep group of LHD coming up and have signed a college FA recently who certainly looks like they are hoping to find the Krug skillset

there is only one Torey Krug though - he came in humble will leave humble, is a HOF teammate and a dream employee.

this imo reminds me quite a bit of David Backes with the Blues. They are both very good players but at a scary age to give out 6 year deals.

The Bruins were in tough times with the franchise and fell for the under 30 memory version of David Backes and it backfired.

With protection conditions for expansion, multiple left shot/side defenseman in the pipeline and the thought of a big cap hit at long years for a player who minimum will be 35 when his contract ends is probably to much.

fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me ~ it appears some other team looking to make a splash is going to play the version of the Boston Bruins.

If Detroit his hometown needs that leader who can help a potential
Star studded young group of recent high picks (Larkin, Mantha, Zadina, Perfetti?) up front and Seider on D he would be the guy Yzerman should consider

the one concern is no team has made more bad extensions and UFA signings last 5 Years than the Red Wings

I’m wanting a Cup and a one year extension with Krug and see where they are next year

Reactions: RustyBruins72

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I’d like to see him sign a one year deal due to all the uncertainty and where this team is

with Krug they are top 5 overall going into next year if there is a season

they have a deep group of LHD coming up and have signed a college FA recently who certainly looks like they are hoping to find the Krug skillset

there is only one Torey Krug though - he came in humble will leave humble, is a HOF teammate and a dream employee.

this imo reminds me quite a bit of David Backes with the Blues. They are both very good players but at a scary age to give out 6 year deals.

The Bruins were in tough times with the franchise and fell for the under 30 memory version of David Backes and it backfired.

With protection conditions for expansion, multiple left shot/side defenseman in the pipeline and the thought of a big cap hit at long years for a player who minimum will be 35 when his contract ends is probably to much.

fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me ~ it appears some other team looking to make a splash is going to play the version of the Boston Bruins.

If Detroit his hometown needs that leader who can help a potential
Star studded young group of recent high picks (Larkin, Mantha, Zadina, Perfetti?) up front and Seider on D he would be the guy Yzerman should consider

the one concern is no team has made more bad extensions and UFA signings last 5 Years than the Red Wings

I’m wanting a Cup and a one year extension with Krug and see where they are next year

Krug would be an absolute fool to take a one-year deal now. It will put him over 30 next time he has to negotiate, which, though it's just a number, instantly devalues him, and one bad injury in the intervening 12 months and he can all-but kiss any subsequent high-value long-term deal goodbye. Then there is lingering pandemic-related uncertainty to factor in. So this is the one and best chance to ensure he has a maximum money, multi-year deal that will carry him at least close to retirement. There's no way he's giving that up.

Pre-covid I'd been quite confident he would re-sign with the Bruins. But a lot has changed since March, and I'm now leaning towards him leaving. Perhaps he is simply waiting to see the outcome of the playoffs, but otherwise I figure that if he were staying he'd have been best-placed to get the contract done before they began. As this hasn't happened it's clear that at the very least he's wanting to fully test the market before making a decision.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
The Borque and Bergeron situations are nothing alike lol. Bergy already has a Cup and the team is still very competitive and he is signed through 21-22 and is the teams next captain, he aint going anywhere.

No question and I'm not seriously suggesting otherwise for a second. Bergeron is the last guy I'd want to trade. I'm stirring the pot. But looking around the league and watching these rapid rebuilds over the last few years (NYR, Van, LA, Col, NJ, etc) and then looking at this years draft where there might be as many 2 or 3 future HOF players (potentially) and likely as many as another 5 star quality prospects its hard to watch looking at our situation.

We always seem to find a way, but we were incredibly fortunate getting Marchand, Krejci and Bergy late, stealing Rask and somehow getting Chara to sign. Moons, planets, stars in a perfect line. We have overachieved and that's always been a hallmark of this organization.

Its been so much fun.

I'd like to see us transition in a way that's respectful and deadly at the same time. Big decisions coming. Outside the box thinking will be needed and that time is right around the corner.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
No question and I'm not seriously suggesting otherwise for a second. Bergeron is the last guy I'd want to trade. I'm stirring the pot. But looking around the league and watching these rapid rebuilds over the last few years (NYR, Van, LA, Col, NJ, etc) and then looking at this years draft where there might be as many 2 or 3 future HOF players (potentially) and likely as many as another 5 star quality prospects its hard to watch looking at our situation.

We always seem to find a way, but we were incredibly fortunate getting Marchand, Krejci and Bergy late, stealing Rask and somehow getting Chara to sign. Moons, planets, stars in a perfect line. We have overachieved and that's always been a hallmark of this organization.

Its been so much fun.

I'd like to see us transition in a way that's respectful and deadly at the same time. Big decisions coming. Outside the box thinking will be needed and that time is right around the corner.

Kase trade will be a disaster. I would have prefered a middle round pick in this years draft over him.

Reactions: KrejciMVP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad