Player Discussion Torey Krug V

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I keep going back to the pounding he took vs TB in 2018 and when Perron literally sat on him during the SCF. Krug just wasn't strong enough to handle that (yeah he finally got up and absolutely trucked that other Blues player but was the exception & not the rule for #47) & that won't get any easier as he gets older. He's 29 now & I'd be leery of signing him for 6-7 years. Also as someone else mentioned he's been sheltered on the second/third pairing his entire time here.

what about grz

member 96824

It's high time the B's overpaid on a contract after the larcenous Pastrnak and Marchand deals

Sign him up

“Taking a discount only works if everyone does it”-Crosby

I don’t doubt Krug can get 8x8 on the open market. I would love to see him get it, he won’t get it here...if he’s okay with that I would love it even more.

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

member 96824

I keep going back to the pounding he took vs TB in 2018 and when Perron literally sat on him during the SCF. Krug just wasn't strong enough to handle that (yeah he finally got up and absolutely trucked that other Blues player but was the exception & not the rule for #47) & that won't get any easier as he gets older. He's 29 now & I'd be leery of signing him for 6-7 years. Also as someone else mentioned he's been sheltered on the second/third pairing his entire time here.

Didn’t Krug lay one of the most memorable hits in recent cup final history after Perron messed with him?

Reactions: Pia8988

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
24 out of 42 points on the pp as well . Tbh he doesn't provide much 5v5 which is what the playoffs are all about for the most part . Carlo has the same amount of points 5v5 and Chuck has 6 more 5v5 points . I would not give any more than 4 or 5 years at 6 per just my opinion

Sanity! Also, for those that clammer "bUt WhAT AboUT THe Pp!!!???" It'll be just fine.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The PA is pushing their camp hard to test market .He takes any discounts its hurts every d man all the way down and they know it.
Torey will do what’s best for Torey and his family - sorry PA.

0.0 he’s thinking about how his discount effects future defenseman

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
My feeling is that the only concern about not signing Krug is if you think the powerplay is going to fall apart without him. Personally, I don't think it will.

Of course, I wouldn't be against it if he took a discount in $$$ and years, but it doesn't feel like that's likely to happen at this point.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Flute Shinzawa does an excellent job in The Athletic (subscription required) detailing the details of the Krug free agency, possible Bruins signing. Also covers in detail the possible contracts for Torey’s teammates and salary cap implications.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Flute Shinzawa does an excellent job in The Athletic (subscription required) detailing the details of the Krug free agency, possible Bruins signing. Also covers in detail the possible contracts for Torey’s teammates and salary cap implications.

Agree, it is a good read. Fluto has upped his game a bit recently.

Here is a piece of it:

Bruins worked hard to make salary cap room, but Torey Krug...

"On Monday, Sweeney termed his talks with Lewis Gross, Krug’s agent, as cordial. The industry belief is that the Bruins will hold firm to limits in term and salary that would not be in place if Krug, 28, tests unrestricted free agency.

The aforementioned agent speculated that in this market — Jake Muzzin landing a four-year, $22.5 million extension and Jared Spurgeon scoring seven years and $53.025 million — Krug could command seven years and $49 million on July 1 when free agency opens. Not only would that stretch his term out longer than the Bruins would prefer, but the average annual value would also smash the $6.825 million Patrice Bergeron ceiling that contained David Pastrnak and Brad Marchand. The Bruins have internal options, from Grzelcyk, Urho Vaakanainen and Jeremy Lauzon on the left side for five-on-five to Charlie McAvoy on the power play. They must also account for the 2021 expansion draft. They are likely to use the 7-3-1 protection template (seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie).

From Krug’s perspective, his next contract is his final home-run swing. Boston has been a perfect fit. But Bergeron, Rask, Chara and David Krejci will say goodbye during Krug’s next deal. He may see a more competitive situation elsewhere.

Grzelcyk, one of Krug’s potential successors, is up for his own deal, too. Grzelcyk could use Krug’s situation to his benefit. If Krug walks on July 1, Grzelcyk’s price will go up. He could gain additional leverage by filing for arbitration.
As critical as Krug is to the Bruins’ success, there are other blue-line alternatives they could explore."

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Agree, it is a good read. Fluto has upped his game a bit recently.

Here is a piece of it:

Bruins worked hard to make salary cap room, but Torey Krug...

"On Monday, Sweeney termed his talks with Lewis Gross, Krug’s agent, as cordial. The industry belief is that the Bruins will hold firm to limits in term and salary that would not be in place if Krug, 28, tests unrestricted free agency.

The aforementioned agent speculated that in this market — Jake Muzzin landing a four-year, $22.5 million extension and Jared Spurgeon scoring seven years and $53.025 million — Krug could command seven years and $49 million on July 1 when free agency opens. Not only would that stretch his term out longer than the Bruins would prefer, but the average annual value would also smash the $6.825 million Patrice Bergeron ceiling that contained David Pastrnak and Brad Marchand. The Bruins have internal options, from Grzelcyk, Urho Vaakanainen and Jeremy Lauzon on the left side for five-on-five to Charlie McAvoy on the power play. They must also account for the 2021 expansion draft. They are likely to use the 7-3-1 protection template (seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie).

From Krug’s perspective, his next contract is his final home-run swing. Boston has been a perfect fit. But Bergeron, Rask, Chara and David Krejci will say goodbye during Krug’s next deal. He may see a more competitive situation elsewhere.

Grzelcyk, one of Krug’s potential successors, is up for his own deal, too. Grzelcyk could use Krug’s situation to his benefit. If Krug walks on July 1, Grzelcyk’s price will go up. He could gain additional leverage by filing for arbitration.
As critical as Krug is to the Bruins’ success, there are other blue-line alternatives they could explore."
Lebrun says there is an agent that is valuing Torey Krug at 8mil per
Eeesh. I know agents are just doing their job, but...

Who else in the league uses Krugs agent? Just curious what we can expect negotiation-wise.

Reactions: Dr Hook

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

This is the territory where it starts to get questionable if he’s worth that. That’s not far off from #1 LHD money and he will never be that.

Krug is one of the best power play guys in the business but 5v5 there’s certainly more left to be desired for someone making $8m

Only problem is if you don’t sign Krug, who do you go after?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Well you look at his numbers, then factor in the increase in the cap, seems about market value. Not saying I want the Bruins to pay him that much (they likely won't), but I can see him easily getting that on July 1st if he makes it there.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This is the territory where it starts to get questionable if he’s worth that. That’s not far off from #1 LHD money and he will never be that.

Krug is one of the best power play guys in the business but 5v5 there’s certainly more left to be desired for someone making $8m

Only problem is if you don’t sign Krug, who do you go after?

Do you mean a defenseman? Because I think if Krug walks, the Bruins go with what they have. You have a pre-season with one of Charlie or Grizz running the PP and see what happens. I think either of them can do it if given the time and minutes. You may not get Krug-ness out of either, in fact, probably not, but it's workable and the PP should still be deadly. If you have some savings from Krug leaving, maybe a wing upgrade if needed. If Kase works out like we hope, that isn't necessary either.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Huh? How about overpaying for Backes, Beleskey, Hayes, Seidenberg and all the other guys we've overpaid .

Feels like we're mixing up overpayment with disappointing post-contract performance here.

None of those contracts were brutal on day one, although many will say otherwise.

I doubt that an expensive Krug contract will lead to regret. Much like the likelihood of a Marchand, Pastrnak or McAvoy contract leading to regret is slim. This is a quality player, so pay the man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->