Player Discussion Torey Krug V

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Since the start of last season, only Carlson (0.99) and Burns (0.86) have a higher PPG average than Krug (0.83).

That man is getting paid this summer, especially considering it's a weak UFA class, supply and demand will also inflate his price. There will no doubt be GMs out there under pressure from ownership to make a big acquisition. Love Krug but I can see him beginning to price himself out of Boston.

Carlson and Burns both make 8.0 per. Lesser players than Krug like Trouba and Subban make 8.0 and 9.0 respectively. I think a rival GM offers Krug 8.0 per for 7 years without blinking. It's not so much a question that is Boston willing, but can they afford to pay him that with their cap situation as it currently stands.

Coyotes' trade for Taylor Hall a cautionary tale with deadline on horizon - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Since the start of last season, only Carlson (0.99) and Burns (0.86) have a higher PPG average than Krug (0.83).

That man is getting paid this summer, especially considering it's a weak UFA class, supply and demand will also inflate his price. There will no doubt be GMs out there under pressure from ownership to make a big acquisition. Love Krug but I can see him beginning to price himself out of Boston.

Carlson and Burns both make 8.0 per. Lesser players than Krug like Trouba and Subban make 8.0 and 9.0 respectively. I think a rival GM offers Krug 8.0 per for 7 years without blinking. It's not so much a question that is Boston willing, but can they afford to pay him that with their cap situation as it currently stands.

Coyotes' trade for Taylor Hall a cautionary tale with deadline on horizon - Sportsnet.ca

Offensive yes he’s as good as those guys but he doesn’t come remotely close to them in the defensive zone.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I would really, really dislike losing Grizz to Seattle for nothing. And I'd probably consider giving up a pick to get them to take someone else.

With that said, if the outcome of the Seattle expansion draft is that the Bruins lose a player at what is probably their deepest position then I can live with that.

As for Krug...f***ing sign him already.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Offensive yes he’s as good as those guys but he doesn’t come remotely close to them in the defensive zone.
PK Subban is absolutely atrocious in his own end. krug looks like Rod Langway compared to him.
Brett Burns also isn't much better than PK in his own end. He's big, but he gets caught out of position way too often, I'd take Krug in the defensive zone over those two.

He's going to get paid upward of 8mil per if he chooses to leave Boston.

Reactions: ruhzy

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
PK Subban is absolutely atrocious in his own end. krug looks like Rod Langway compared to him.
Brett Burns also isn't much better than PK in his own end. He's big, but he gets caught out of position way too often, I'd take Krug in the defensive zone over those two.

He's going to get paid upward of 8mil per if he chooses to leave Boston.

With krug on the ice, in3 out of the last 4 seasons bruins goalies have had the worst save percentage among all defenders to play at least half the season. Krug also isn’t playing against top line guys and Krug also gets a lot of offensive zone situations and is protected from defensive zone situations.

burns and subban are boh deployed against much tougher matchups and haven’t had the goalie tandems nor have they had selke winning forwards surrounding them like krug has in their career. Especially the case for burns who has had some of the worst goalies behind him, yet they all have very similar goalie on ice save percentages.

krug has benefitted greatly from weaker competition, better goalies and better surrounding cast. Yet they all have similar defensive stats.

love what krug does offensively but he is not good in the defensive zone.

I wouldn’t take PK over krug on a roster, he is on a major downslope, but he is still better in his defensive zone than krug.

Reactions: Ess_37

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I don’t care so much about regular season stats. TORY KRUG IS A PLAYOFF MONSTER

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Burns isn't that strong in his own zone. Hence one reason he played as a winger a lot during the 1st half of his career. Subban isn't much defensively either, and his offense has dropped off.

Trouba is better defensively but can't carry Krug's jock in the offensive side of the game and overall is a very overrated player.

The only one who is in Krug's realm offensively and I would consider much better defensively is Carlson, who doesn't get enough credit for his defensive play.

Back to Subban, look at it this way. The Predators wanted to move him out and could only find one team willing to take on his entire 9.0 million per salary. Every other GM wanted the Preds to eat some salary. And they return on the trade was basically nothing.

Meanwhile, if Krug hits July 1st you can be guaranteed that there will be several GMs lined up to offer him 8 million per over 7 years. I can tell you right here, right now, NHL GMs would chase Krug over Subban right here today and it's not even close IMO.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Meanwhile, if Krug hits July 1st you can be guaranteed that there will be several GMs lined up to offer him 8 million per over 7 years. I can tell you right here, right now, NHL GMs would chase Krug over Subban right here today and it's not even close IMO.

You can also be guaranteed that Krug and his agent know this as well. This is likely why we haven't heard much about an extension to this point.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Burns isn't that strong in his own zone. Hence one reason he played as a winger a lot during the 1st half of his career. Subban isn't much defensively either, and his offense has dropped off.

Trouba is better defensively but can't carry Krug's jock in the offensive side of the game and overall is a very overrated player.

The only one who is in Krug's realm offensively and I would consider much better defensively is Carlson, who doesn't get enough credit for his defensive play.

Back to Subban, look at it this way. The Predators wanted to move him out and could only find one team willing to take on his entire 9.0 million per salary. Every other GM wanted the Preds to eat some salary. And they return on the trade was basically nothing.

well of course today krug would be more sought after but that’s because PK has fell off a cliff, but when PK got the deal he was a much better player the deal of that $9m deal than krug is today.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
Like Krug for what he brings but hes a great example of a 1 trick pony . Carlo and Chuckie have more even strength points than him . Hes a liability on D (and i mean in the PO when it really matters) , not to mention i'm not sold on getting many PPs in the PO. Would not go more than 4 y 5.5 per . Comparing him to other top point getting D is a joke because of the soft matchups he gets so if someone wants to throw him 9 per i say good luck . Another thing he needs to stop is the thought that he can skate around numerous guys out of the D zone , he often get in trouble and the older he gets the slower he will be ( already pretty slow )

Reactions: BigBear83

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Man. Chara leaves, Charlie hopefully better step up full time as the number one D on this team. Carlo and Lauzon will be steady D guys for the foreseeable future, I think. I am honestly on the fence about resigning this guy, even if I'm a big fan of his. He's primarily an offensive defenseman, BUT this offensive defenseman has more points right now than our second line center, which is something I didn't expect to happen this season. He has more goals than two of our fourth line forwards combined. He's one of the top offensive threats on this team.

But I do worry about the cap and term, and I worry that this means having to rebuild the defense entirely around him. Especially if his agent tries pushing for something like 8 million a year or more. I hope that's not gonna happen

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As bad as Krug is defensively he's still miles better than Morgan Rielly in the D zone
he`s not nearly as "bad" defensively as some make it sound

He has his deficiencies but most of those come from something he can`t control and that`s size. I see the same with Grizz

Reactions: LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I've actually liked Krug's defense this year.

I have too and on top of that in the playoffs last year I thought he was spectacular defensively. Argument could be made that he was our 2nd best player in the playoffs behind rask imo

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He has definitely improved back there. For a long time he was an absolute train wreck in his own end. One thing he can't overcome is lack of size/strength though.

He is better for sure that in past seasons. He is not more than mediocre at best, though, and I have felt that in past couple of weeks he hasn't been as solid. It's fine, that is the risk/reward with a player like him. It's been great for him to have Carlo for a partner who can cover a lot of ground and protect Torey a good bit.

Reactions: BMC

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
He has definitely improved back there. For a long time he was an absolute train wreck in his own end. One thing he can't overcome is lack of size/strength though.

Well this is right, size matters here and skill is only going to take you so far playing D. Same with Gryz and I have never been or will for that matter , be comfortable with two smallish D , especially in the PO's. I don't give Krug much more than what he's already making and watch the term as well because he'll likely breakdown early too. 6M max 5 years my best offer.

Another concern when re-uping Krug is the expansion draft. Who do you protect?

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Do not resign him if it's more then 5 years and 6.5 million... which it will be sooooo, move on and spend that money up front and sign/trade for a cheaper established D, or let the kids fill the slot on the backend.

Vaak-Mac
Lauzy-Carlo
Gryz-Cliffy

That's a studly youthful inexpensive D core that will be insanely mobile. That's what I want.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Well this is right, size matters here and skill is only going to take you so far playing D. Same with Gryz and I have never been or will for that matter , be comfortable with two smallish D , especially in the PO's. I don't give Krug much more than what he's already making and watch the term as well because he'll likely breakdown early too. 6M max 5 years my best offer.

Another concern when re-uping Krug is the expansion draft. Who do you protect?

I keep going back to the pounding he took vs TB in 2018 and when Perron literally sat on him during the SCF. Krug just wasn't strong enough to handle that (yeah he finally got up and absolutely trucked that other Blues player but was the exception & not the rule for #47) & that won't get any easier as he gets older. He's 29 now & I'd be leery of signing him for 6-7 years. Also as someone else mentioned he's been sheltered on the second/third pairing his entire time here.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I don't like the idea of a D having to cover for another D's weakness except in a very limited sense. I think we're limiting both McAvoy and Carlo .

Reactions: BigGoalBrad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad