Player Discussion Torey Krug V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wow...I didnt realize 500 for the Hobbitt.

Bruins’ Torey Krug reflects heading into 500th NHL game - The Boston Globe

NEW YORK — Torey Krug is still waiting for his future to come into focus. The pending unrestricted free agent understands he almost certainly will be a Bruin through the end of the season, but he doesn’t know when — if — his camp and the club will agree on a long-term deal.

Meanwhile, Krug had a bit of reflecting to do Saturday.
Undrafted and undersized, the 5-foot-9-inch defenseman was set to play his 500th game against the Islanders.

“Especially from where my career started, it seemed like a long shot,” said Krug, who was signed by the Bruins as a free agent out of Michigan State in March 2012. “I’ve enjoyed every step along the way. A lot of good memories. Hopefully, a lot to come.”

Krug entered Saturday as the top power-play quarterback in the league. He led defensemen in power-play assists (17), and was third among all players, behind Edmonton’s Connor McDavid (22) and Leon Draisaitl (21).

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Wow...I didnt realize 500 for the Hobbitt.

Bruins’ Torey Krug reflects heading into 500th NHL game - The Boston Globe

NEW YORK — Torey Krug is still waiting for his future to come into focus. The pending unrestricted free agent understands he almost certainly will be a Bruin through the end of the season, but he doesn’t know when — if — his camp and the club will agree on a long-term deal.

Meanwhile, Krug had a bit of reflecting to do Saturday.
Undrafted and undersized, the 5-foot-9-inch defenseman was set to play his 500th game against the Islanders.

“Especially from where my career started, it seemed like a long shot,” said Krug, who was signed by the Bruins as a free agent out of Michigan State in March 2012. “I’ve enjoyed every step along the way. A lot of good memories. Hopefully, a lot to come.”

Krug entered Saturday as the top power-play quarterback in the league. He led defensemen in power-play assists (17), and was third among all players, behind Edmonton’s Connor McDavid (22) and Leon Draisaitl (21).

No way. He's too small. You can't have small defensemen in the NHL. Right? o_O

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
As I said in the post GDT thread my appreciation for him is growing & has been since last year's playoffs. He's worked hard to improve in his own end- he started out as a train wreck back there which was my main reason for not liking him but he's gotten better the last 2 seasons.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
As I said in the post GDT thread my appreciation for him is growing & has been since last year's playoffs. He's worked hard to improve in his own end- he started out as a train wreck back there which was my main reason for not liking him but he's gotten better the last 2 seasons.
If he’s not signed before the TDL he’s gone. They would be making a mistakes. I don’t care about the stats if they played Grizz more or if McAvoy played more on PP , My brain tells me different. It’s the outlet passes and getting into a rhythm. They are a PP team end of story, well at least now.

Reactions: Saxon Eric and BMC

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Krug's defense and lack of straight-ahead speed is not worth what he brings on the PP. I just cannot stand watching him defend nor can I understand why he has so much support on this forum. He is Dennis F. Wideman 2.0: another defensive black hole that can't skate or defend. I acknowledge his offensive skills, but I'd rather move on to Griz or McAvoy as a PP QB. I cannot imagine giving this guy a long-term contract at $6 million+/season. I understand that there are many Krug lovers, but he doesn't deserve that support, IMO.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Krug's defense and lack of straight-ahead speed is not worth what he brings on the PP. I just cannot stand watching him defend nor can I understand why he has so much support on this forum. He is Dennis F. Wideman 2.0: another defensive black hole that can't skate or defend. I acknowledge his offensive skills, but I'd rather move on to Griz or McAvoy as a PP QB. I cannot imagine giving this guy a long-term contract at $6 million+/season. I understand that there are many Krug lovers, but he doesn't deserve that support, IMO.

lol Wideman 2.0

tough to take you seriously

nothing funnier than this place after a bad loss. Trade McAvoy! Krug sucks!

Reactions: Pia8988

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
If he’s not signed before the TDL he’s gone. They would be making a mistakes. I don’t care about the stats if they played Grizz more or if McAvoy played more on PP , My brain tells me different. It’s the outlet passes and getting into a rhythm. They are a PP team end of story, well at least now.

The team didn't sell Loui as a bubble team. They're not selling Krug when they are fighting for the 1st in the division.

If I was an owner and my GM tried to sell a key piece to the team because he was a UFA when contending, that GM would be looking for a new job.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
i have to agree , not to mention he has 19 of his 32 points on the pp so he doesn't bring much Offence outside the pp . My issue is we want to win in the playoffs and as seen recently the PP opportunities during PO are always down making Krug a liability due to increased physical play

Reactions: ORRMAN

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

PP0O7lrZLkA99fZpliWfLAMTKfXQIsiZhJO38GMTHIo75aFyBW6rYjDlY8oh3rYFEYdD4dXvcv4YZs3mtGuhVBcLxpIX4zg4hzvrPyU2=s0-d

Try not to be too disappointed when Krug lands his 5-year, $5.5+ mil p.a. deal, or thereabouts. His last postseason alone has earned him that.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Definitely starting to get the feeling that he is walking at year end, which will be killer for the short term at least. I can see a team offering 7 years at $6m plus easily. Detroit for starters.

member 96824

5.5? 6?

I’m betting his agent starts conversations with $8.

If we could get him at 5.5 or 6 I think it would be done. He makes 5.25 now.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
5.5? 6?

I think free agency, where he will be considered one of the elite power play dmen in the game will get him 7 times 7. Which is probably why he hasn't signed yet, because he won't get it in Boston.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
5.5? 6?

I was being quite conservative with my estimate. Probably more likely it comes down to if he's happy with around 6.5 then he'll stay in Boston, if he wants 7+ he'll go elsewhere. His biggest bargaining chip for negotiating with Sweeney is he's the only D-man in the entire roster who brings genuine offense and he knows it. McAvoy and Gryz largely stagnating in their offensive game, and Zboril continuing to languish in Providence, have all been good news for Krug on a purely personal/financial level.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
He was on 5 PPs tonight. He just refuses to shoot on the PP. I don't know if it it a coaches decision or his reluctance to shoot. I think his PP production is highly inflated by the top end skill of Pasta, Marchand and Bergeron. Krug is a world time passer no denying that. His goal scoring on the PP however has been going down over the last 4 year. From 6 to 5 to 2 to 1 goal so far this season. Some teams did their scouting properly how Bruins play the PP and decided not to challenge him on the blue line. As he is not a real threat to shoot they just tie up the passing lines and collapse the space in front of the net as did Vegas tonight.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm a huge Krug fan, but I think it's a unique situation this year with Grz and Seattle. Ideally you sign Krug and make a deal with Seattle to leave Grz alone, but that isn't a sure thing. By signing Krug, you have to think it very well may mean losing Grz to Seattle for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->