Player Discussion Torey Krug V

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No. You seem to be very interested in getting max value for assets, hence wanting to trade Krug for a Faulk like return.

so I’m asking: What do we do with Chara and Bergeron if we’re in “get value for assets” and not “ice the best team possible to win a Stanley cup” mode

False if you scroll up further I said I don’t understand the “let Krug be your rental” crowd because that is worse case scenario. Then I went on to say the opportunity to trade him is nearly over so they are in a a situation where krug has all the leverage, but I would absolutely prefer trading him to letting him walk.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
False if you scroll up further I said I don’t understand the “let Krug be your rental” crowd because that is worse case scenario. Then I went on to say the opportunity to trade him is nearly over so they are in a a situation where krug has all the leverage, but I would absolutely prefer trading him to letting him walk.

it’s too late to trade him. That time was at the draft.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
it’s too late to trade him. That time was at the draft.

Agreed that was exactly my point. That’s why I’m saying he has to be signed now because there were 3 options. Sign him, trade him or let him walk and letting him walk is by far the worst option.

Then I went on to say letting him walk is the worst option because of the return Faulk got and I didn’t understand the whole “let krug be our rental” crowd.

Then all of a sudden I had this dude asking me if we should trade Bergeron because he will never be more valuable. Which had absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about at all.

member 96824

Agreed that was exactly my point. That’s why I’m saying he has to be signed now because there were 3 options. Sign him, trade him or let him walk and letting him walk is by far the worst option.

Then I went on to say letting him walk is the worst option because of the return Faulk got and I didn’t understand the whole “let krug be our rental” crowd.

Then all of a sudden I had this dude asking me if we should trade Bergeron because he will never be more valuable. Which had absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about at all.

You’re still advocating that the worst option for the Bruins is to go into the playoffs with Torey Krug on their roster because he won’t be on the team next year and that’s a waste of an asset...right?

Correct me if I’m reading wrong, but it seems like you’re more focused on getting value from assets than icing the best possible team in 2019-20. Is that not the case? If so, I’d love to understand how Torey Krug for a prospect that isn’t ready and a Joel Edmunston type D man gives the Bruins a better chance at a cup this year.

If you ARE advocating that the Bruins should focus on getting value from their assets rather than icing the best possible team they can in 2019-20, then there are other questions that need to be asked. What do you do with Chara? What do you do with Krejci? Coyle? Do you explore trading a 34 year old Bergeron? What pieces do you think will be the core do you believe will be part of the next cup run? How do you best build around them? What does your timeline look like? Etc. etc.

Personally, I think this team has it. I’m not really interested in being a seller. In fact, I’d love to see them add another rental, particularly a forward on the right side. If they’re sitting 7th in February then for sure, go for it.

EDIT: I’d love to sign him but just don’t think we can afford him :/

Last edited by a moderator:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You’re still advocating that the worst option for the Bruins is to go into the playoffs with Torey Krug on their roster because he won’t be on the team next year and that’s a waste of an asset...right?

Correct me if I’m reading wrong, but it seems like you’re more focused on getting value from assets than icing the best possible team in 2019-20. Is that not the case? If so, I’d love to understand how Torey Krug for a prospect that isn’t ready and a Joel Edmunston type D man gives the Bruins a better chance at a cup this year.

If you ARE advocating that the Bruins should focus on getting value from their assets rather than icing the best possible team they can in 2019-20, then there are other questions that need to be asked. What do you do with Chara? What do you do with Krejci? Coyle? Do you explore trading a 34 year old Bergeron? What pieces do you think will be the core do you believe will be part of the next cup run? How do you best build around them? What does your timeline look like? Etc. etc.

Personally, I think this team has it. I’m not really interested in being a seller. In fact, I’d love to see them add another rental, particularly a forward on the right side. If they’re sitting 7th in February then for sure, go for it.

EDIT: I’d love to sign him but just don’t think we can afford him :/

If Faulk is getting a 2nd pairing defender and a top 50 prospect. Krug should get you more. So a 2nd line RW and a top 50 prospect is reasonable if you consider the Faulk return. Let Vaak take over 2nd pairing LHD. Put McAvoy and Grizz on PP1 and 2.

Gets you a 2nd line RW, top 50 prospect for the future. Win now and win in the future.

And also no you obviously don’t trade Bergeron, krejci or chara because there’s no chance of them walking in the offseason like there is a legitimate chance Krug will.

Again not advocating for him to get traded in just saying I believe it’s a much better scenario to trade him than let him walk. I want him to sign at this point, but now Krug has all the leverage in a deal and management seriously misplayed their hand. So now Krug can ask for whatever he wants pretty much.

Last edited:

member 96824

If Faulk is getting a 2nd pairing defender and a top 50 prospect. Krug should get you more. So a 2nd line RW and a top 50 prospect is reasonable if you consider the Faulk return. Let Vaak take over 2nd pairing LHD. Put McAvoy and Grizz on PP1 and 2.

Gets you a 2nd line RW, top 50 prospect for the future. Win now and win in the future.

I don’t hate it, but who would that be?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don’t hate it, but who would that be?

Idk I’m not going to start throwing out proposals and whatnot but if Faulk lands you a 2nd pairing defender and a top 50 prospect. Krug definitely lands you a 2nd line RW and a top 50 prospect.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Idk I’m not going to start throwing out proposals and whatnot but if Faulk lands you a 2nd pairing defender and a top 50 prospect. Krug definitely lands you a 2nd line RW and a top 50 prospect.
They would be fools to trade Krug unless the player coming back is already in the league and a high end player

The goal should be this year

What gives you the best chance to win in the 2020 playoffs

It’s not Bokk and a prospect

I would be pissed if they did that deal

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

member 96824

True but I don’t know if many 2nd line wings with term will be available for a rental mid-season. Faulk was signed within minutes, telling us the Blues knew something...and you probably have to assume that the player they’re getting is a lesser player than Krug, hence throwing in a prospect.

With the space they have, I think they might be able to fit someone like Toffoli...which also brings us to the questions of replacement cost and opportunity cost.

Let’s say they could get Toffoli for a Mojo price...are they better off in that sense?

63-37-88
74-46-Toffoli
43-13-83
4th

33-73
47-25
48-75

that’s a stupid nice looking, cup caliber lineup without the question marks of the PP being the same caliber, does Vaak fit for 82+ playoffs right now, etc.

Reactions: wintersej

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
True but I don’t know if many 2nd line wings with term will be available for a rental mid-season. Faulk was signed within minutes, telling us the Blues knew something...and you probably have to assume that the player they’re getting is a lesser player than Krug, hence throwing in a prospect.

With the space they have, I think they might be able to fit someone like Toffoli...which also brings us to the questions of replacement cost and opportunity cost.

Let’s say they could get Toffoli for a Mojo price...are they better off in that sense?

63-37-88
74-46-Toffoli
43-13-83
4th

33-73
47-25
48-75

that’s a stupid nice looking, cup caliber lineup without the question marks of the PP being the same caliber, does Vaak fit for 82+ playoffs right now, etc.
Saad ?

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
In Krug?

What would you want back

I mean, I'm just spit balling. They lost Trouba, Myers and potentially Buff, and gave up 6 goals last night. Krug is obviously not nearly the size of any of those guys, but he's a top 4 that can make that D better than what it currently is for sure and considering what they've lost I'm sure they'd have an interest and be willing to extend him.

As for return? What I want versus what we'd get are two different things. Roslovic and a 1st/2nd would probably do it for me and you know Sweeney loves his USNTDP/College hockey players. He's never received a long look up in the lineup... been stuck on the 3rd/4th lines most of his time there so could use a fresh start and I think would fit in well on either Krech's/Bergy's RW, and can he can also play C down the road if they wanted that.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I mean, I'm just spit balling. They lost Trouba, Myers and potentially Buff, and gave up 6 goals last night. Krug is obviously not nearly the size of any of those guys, but he's a top 4 that can make that D better than what it currently is for sure and considering what they've lost I'm sure they'd have an interest and be willing to extend him.

As for return? What I want versus what we'd get are two different things. Roslovic and a 1st/2nd would probably do it for me and you know Sweeney loves his USNTDP/College hockey players. He's never received a long look up in the lineup... been stuck on the 3rd/4th lines most of his time there so could use a fresh start and I think would fit in well on either Krech's/Bergy's RW, and can he can also play C down the road if they wanted that.
Roslovic & Vesalainen would be the guys

Roslovic very interesting

I’m Winnipeg I am going to Boston because they are so deep on D and once Moore & Miller return they got to do something

Reactions: TwineTickler

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Roslovic & Vesalainen would be the guys

Roslovic very interesting

I’m Winnipeg I am going to Boston because they are so deep on D and once Moore & Miller return they got to do something

Excellent point. It could end up being Miller more so than Krug. They have LD but seem to be short on RD. So maybe we need to pony up something a little extra to get Roslovic or Vesalainen if Miller is going the other way, which I would do for sure. Or maybe it's Krug and Miller going to create some room on the back end... lots of interesting potential between these two. I'm sure nothing will come of it, but we definitely have D depth and they are hurting big time.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Excellent point. It could end up being Miller more so than Krug. They have LD but seem to be short on RD. So maybe we need to pony up something a little extra to get Roslovic or Vesalainen if Miller is going the other way, which I would do for sure. Or maybe it's Krug and Miller going to create some room on the back end... lots of interesting potential between these two. I'm sure nothing will come of it, but we definitely have D depth and they are hurting big time.
I like both of their kids

The Jets & Bruins look like a good match

Reactions: TwineTickler

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I like both of their kids

The Jets & Bruins look like a good match

Agreed on both.

Both have the size the B's covet/need, but Roslovic definitely has a little more grit/physicality. I'm assuming he'd be preferred but both definitely would be great additions to the top 9. We will see if Don and Chevy think like us.

Reactions: DKH

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Based on the deals the rest of the Bruins have been signing and Krug's comments about wanting to stay and even take a pay-cut, I wouldn't be surprised to see something around $6 million, maybe even under.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Based on the deals the rest of the Bruins have been signing and Krug's comments about wanting to stay and even take a pay-cut, I wouldn't be surprised to see something around $6 million, maybe even under.

He's getting 5.25 right now... he's already come out and said he knows what he brings is a commodity around the league etc. I don't think there is a chance in hell he takes less than 7... but who knows

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
If they were going to trade Krug, it should've been in the offseason. At this point, you ride it out and go for the Cup again. Trading Krug does not improve those chances, regardless of how deep they are on defense.

True contenders are allowed to let players walk without recouping assets.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Am I missing something? 8 years at $6.5 AAV would be a great deal for Krug. Only problem I can see someone having with that deal is the term.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
If they were going to trade Krug, it should've been in the offseason. At this point, you ride it out and go for the Cup again. Trading Krug does not improve those chances, regardless of how deep they are on defense..

True contenders are allowed to let players walk without recouping assets.

I don't believe the bolded is true personally. All depends on what the return is. If it's someone who can slot in at RW on the 1st or 2nd line and improve us in the top 6 I think it absolutely improves our chances. McAvoy is ready for PP1, Gryz looks terrific and is ready for more minutes... and whether it's Moore stepping in or Urho/Lauzon, I'm not the least bit concerned about the D with the absence of Krug. Just one mans opinion. I think they didn't trade Krug in the Summer because they wanted to see what they could get their RFA's signed for, and they have Moore/Miller on the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad