Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Big Z also says hello

We could all go back and forth with names- some continue to play well in their mid 30s, some do not. For every Justin Williams there is a David Backes and for every David Backes there is Martin St. Louis and for every Martin St. Louis there is a . . .

Right, so in Krug's case it isn't about comparing to a large physical guy like Chara who relies on a skill set that is less dependent on footspeed, agility, and reflexes. This is why I like to point to Liles- Liles was a better skater than Krug, but a similar size and style. It isn't that Krug would necessarily be useless at 35- Liles was not great when he was here, but he wasn't complete rubbish- but whether it is worth paying the money he will demand into that stage of his career. That is where the Backes comparison is valid. Krug at 35 is probably not going to be worth 7-8 mil a year cap hit but that is probably what the Bruins would be looking at given the market.

Reactions: UncleRico and BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
We could all go back and forth with names- some continue to play well in their mid 30s, some do not. For every Justin Williams there is a David Backes and for every David Backes there is Martin St. Louis and for every Martin St. Louis there is a . . .

Right, so in Krug's case it isn't about comparing to a large physical guy like Chara who relies on a skill set that is less dependent on footspeed, agility, and reflexes. This is why I like to point to Liles- Liles was a better skater than Krug, but a similar size and style. It isn't that Krug would necessarily be useless at 35- Liles was not great when he was here, but he wasn't complete rubbish- but whether it is worth paying the money he will demand into that stage of his career. That is where the Backes comparison is valid. Krug at 35 is probably not going to be worth 7-8 mil a year cap hit but that is probably what the Bruins would be looking at given the market.

And that is why I would trade him instead of Gryz. Right now his value is higher than Gryz's too and that IMO will be important if nobody breaks out & claims 2RW spot because then Sweeney is just going to have to go out and get someone.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
And that is why I would trade him instead of Gryz. Right now his value is higher than Gryz's too and that IMO will be important if nobody breaks out & claims 2RW spot because then Sweeney is just going to have to go out and get someone.

No one will give you a similar impact player back, that's the problem. Now your making the team worse by trading an Elite OFD. Playoffs teams are going to offer futures and non- playoff teams will just wait till he becomes a UFA

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
No one will give you a similar impact player back, that's the problem. Now your making the team worse by trading an Elite OFD. Playoffs teams are going to offer futures and non- playoff teams will just wait till he becomes a UFA

I can't see signing him to a huge long term deal. He's 29 and this is his time to cash in big. If he were 3-4 years younger I'd say yes open the vaults and sign him for 7-8 years. But not at 29.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This x 1,000,000.

I will hate that trade and the excuses for it until I die.
I’d put Krug odds

Signed to extension- 51%

Is on team June 2020 if unsigned and Bruins in playoff spot at deadline ~ 99.9%

The only question to me is

Would they rather pay Krug 29-34 close to $7 M

Or go with a lot cheaper

Grzelcyk
Vaakanainen
Lauzon
Moore
Zboril
Zech

Reactions: BMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Probably true- he is an elite offensive player, especially on the PP. I don't see how the Bruins can afford to give him up this season as they will surely make the playoffs and need him. The risk is he walks as a UFA, but I think the Bruins probably have to take that risk unless the bottom falls out on the season and they are out of the playoff picture.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Would they rather pay Krug 29-34 close to $7 M

Or go with a lot cheaper

Grzelcyk
Vaakanainen
Lauzon
Moore
Zboril
Zech

I am thinking Krug gets more than that, but if it around the 7 mark, after this year, both Gryz and Mac should be a year better skill-wise and able to make up some of the loss of Krug. Zech is a wild card, and so if Vaak from an offnesive standpoint. We just don't know. I'd prefer to let Krug walk if his demands are up in mid 7s, 8s and he wants term till he's 35. I believe both Gryz and Mac have the ability to step up as needed.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I can't see signing him to a huge long term deal. He's 29 and this is his time to cash in big. If he were 3-4 years younger I'd say yes open the vaults and sign him for 7-8 years. But not at 29.
Interesting that is the question

The year they want him is 2019-20 and they got him

Still think there’s a good chance he signs but not great

The hometown discount will be the determining part

Lauzon & Vaakanainen look like nhl defense

Zech is a very interesting prospect

Zboril gets crap but played best hockey last 2 months last year

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am thinking Krug gets more than that, but if it around the 7 mark, after this year, both Gryz and Mac should be a year better skill-wise and able to make up some of the loss of Krug. Zech is a wild card, and so if Vaak from an offnesive standpoint. We just don't know. I'd prefer to let Krug walk if his demands are up in mid 7s, 8s and he wants term till he's 35. I believe both Gryz and Mac have the ability to step up as needed.
I don’t think his offer has a 7 to start

They got replacements and they got him for the important year - this one

Coyle is priority 1

I love Krug and this is a tough call

Cap, expansion, and prospects behind him who play same spot all huge factors

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yes

You trade Krug at deadline you weaken yourself and strengthen a team who’s trying to get an elite player for a Cup run

Losing in the playoffs to a team that has Torey Krug you traded to when Bergeron, Chara, Krejci, Rask, and Marchand will never be younger is a fireable offense

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Krug's extension number would surely start with at least 7 million. Cannot see him taking anything under and he deserves that. Sweeney has to make a difficult decision. Keep Krug, trade him for an top six right wing or loose him for nothing after another playoff run.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Krug won’t get traded. This team is all in the next 2 years. I still think the best is yet to come from him. 46 points in 62 playoff games. 50 million over 7 years. We won’t regret it. 69 points this year. Theses kind of D men don’t come around often. So well loved by his team mates. Front load the deal final two years 1 million. He will retire if he ages poorly

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yes

You trade Krug at deadline you weaken yourself and strengthen a team who’s trying to get an elite player for a Cup run

Losing in the playoffs to a team that has Torey Krug you traded to when Bergeron, Chara, Krejci, Rask, and Marchand will never be younger is a fireable offense

Letting krug walk in the offseason for nothing is worse than trading him.

Reactions: TwineTickler

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I don't think the teams will be lining up to give Krug a long term deal. Everyone thought Gardiner was gonna get paid this OS, how did that turn out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->