Player Discussion Torey Krug V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
This is a player at the top of his game. He was the best player for us in the playoffs. He’s a young 27 year old. He’s so well liked by his teammates. Cap is up and we are buying all of his ufa years. Our power play suffers huge with out him. Guy is so likeable. Heart of a lion. Look at the players who got 7 million as a ufa. Not even close to as good as Krug

Reactions: gillesgilbert

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
This is a player at the top of his game. He was the best player for us in the playoffs. He’s a young 27 year old. He’s so well liked by his teammates. Cap is up and we are buying all of his ufa years. Our power play suffers huge with out him. Guy is so likeable. Heart of a lion. Look at the players who got 7 million as a ufa. Not even close to as good as Krug

He's actually 28 and will be 29 before his new contract starts.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Watch SweeNeely lock Krug up now and just stare at the two RFA's agents like "Your move"

https://www.tsn.ca/torey-krug-no-talk-with-boston-bruins-on-new-contract-1.1361002

"Maybe a little surprise nothing has been talked about, but I realize that our team is in a different situation," Krug said Thursday. "I understand that we have two guys that need to be signed and that can have big effects on our cap situation moving forward and our boss has to deal with that. Of course I wish there was dialogue and I wish there was some sort of call or something like that, but it's just nonexistent."

"I put together a resume that I'm very, very comfortable with and happy about," Krug said."
"You don't get these opportunities too often. You just try to take advantage of it."

Sounds like a guy getting prepared to hit the open market.

Last edited:

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
He's actually 28 and will be 29 before his new contract starts.
Ok he’s a young 28 year old. I would love a 5-6 year deal but that would be tough. I think he plays well until 35. I think the actual money owed on the final 2 years could be 1 million to make things work

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
https://www.tsn.ca/torey-krug-no-talk-with-boston-bruins-on-new-contract-1.1361002

"Maybe a little surprise nothing has been talked about, but I realize that our team is in a different situation," Krug said Thursday. "I understand that we have two guys that need to be signed and that can have big effects on our cap situation moving forward and our boss has to deal with that. Of course I wish there was dialogue and I wish there was some sort of call or something like that, but it's just nonexistent."

"I put together a resume that I'm very, very comfortable with and happy about," Krug said."
"You don't get these opportunities too often. You just try to take advantage of it."

Sounds like a guy getting prepared to hit the open market.
Who could blame him ? If the B's are not talking .

I hope the B's sign the Hobbit. I believe it was said that he would take a hometown discount (Like Bergy, Brad and Pasta ).

Reactions: TCB

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Ok he’s a young 28 year old. I would love a 5-6 year deal but that would be tough. I think he plays well until 35. I think the actual money owed on the final 2 years could be 1 million to make things work

I love Krug but there are two issues going forward, especially if he goes the FA route.

1) He's going get a lot of money
2) He's also going to get term

So I'm thinking 7/8 years 8/9M. I pass.

Reactions: Spooner st

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I love Krug but there are two issues going forward, especially if he goes the FA route.

1) He's going get a lot of money
2) He's also going to get term

So I'm thinking 7/8 years 8/9M. I pass.
There's a good chance he prices himself out of Boston.

We can't blame him, this is his career contract, he made sure of that.

Krug's idea of a hometown discount might not be in the Bruins possibilities.
Hope i'm wrong.

Reactions: JOKER 192

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
If Krug is interested in taking a home town discount I think a 6.25-6.75x 5 year contract is what it will take and a good deal for both sides. 6.5 puts him as the 18th highest paid dman in the game today, by the time it kicks in probably a few spots lower. 5 years means he ends his contract at 34, setting him up for potentially one more deal under a higher cap without 35+ contract complications.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
There's a good chance he prices himself out of Boston.

We can't blame him, this is his career contract, he made sure of that.

Krug's idea of a hometown discount might not be in the Bruins possibilities.
Hope i'm wrong.

Agreed, he has every right too get what he can. He has earned it and then some. He has also already given the Bruins hometown discounts , not sure he's down for another. I fully expect him to go the FA route , perhaps not by choice but the Bruins simply won't be able to pay what he worth on the market. This is why I advocate trading him now/TD, while you can still get something for him. He's a valuable asset that should fetch a handsome return, perhaps a legit 2RW. My guess is that the Bruins hold on to him , see if any of the prospects can fill the spot.

Krug has always played above his pay grade in Boston. I think he will and should cash in. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and he has paid his dues to earn. Bruins simply can't afford to him.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Krug can play 2nd pairing EVS minutes on a reasonably deep club and can totally alter the dynamic of probably 26 different PP's in the NHL, right now. I think he's a guy you keep on for a while, if it makes sense (to me, it does). He's in that Brian Campbell or Mike Green category, where he makes whatever forward line he is out there with so much more dangerous, that you just can't not give him a job. He's a quarterback, he visualizes transition as well as any D in the league. He has limitations, but most guys do.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
If Krug is interested in taking a home town discount I think a 6.25-6.75x 5 year contract is what it will take and a good deal for both sides. 6.5 puts him as the 18th highest paid dman in the game today, by the time it kicks in probably a few spots lower. 5 years means he ends his contract at 34, setting him up for potentially one more deal under a higher cap without 35+ contract complications.
I would love this deal but I don’t think the Krug camp would. He could get 7 year 9 million per as a UFA. I think 7x7. We just might have to do it. Our top 6 d might be best in the league. If not it sure is close

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I would love this deal but I don’t think the Krug camp would. He could get 7 year 9 million per as a UFA. I think 7x7. We just might have to do it. Our top 6 d might be best in the league. If not it sure is close

That would depend on who your top 6 is? I think that might seem obvious to you , but we here on HF don't always agree.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

He is very good on the power play but this is factually wrong. Bruins power play without him at the begging of the year was still in the top 5 and converted at nearly 30%. Also in the playoffs while krug had the most power play points, power play units with McAvoy on it converted at a higher rate than ones with Krug on it in the playoffs.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Krug can play 2nd pairing EVS minutes on a reasonably deep club and can totally alter the dynamic of probably 26 different PP's in the NHL, right now. I think he's a guy you keep on for a while, if it makes sense (to me, it does). He's in that Brian Campbell or Mike Green category, where he makes whatever forward line he is out there with so much more dangerous, that you just can't not give him a job. He's a quarterback, he visualizes transition as well as any D in the league. He has limitations, but most guys do.

All true, but with McAvoy and Carlo still unsigned and the Bruins already up against the cap and Krug being signed for this upcoming season. His contract will take a back seat until the other two are signed and unfortunately unless a player or players are moved out and Krug signs a deal substantially lower than he could get on the open market, I don't see the Bruins retaining Krug beyond this year.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
All true, but with McAvoy and Carlo still unsigned and the Bruins already up against the cap and Krug being signed for this upcoming season. His contract will take a back seat until the other two are signed and unfortunately unless a player or players are moved out and Krug signs a deal substantially lower than he could get on the open market, I don't see the Bruins retaining Krug beyond this year.
Unfortunate, but true. I imagine they're high on Zech, as well. Krug is just a more meaningful guy than he'll ever get credit for, I think. Hope he stays, personally.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Marchand should be earning at least double of what he's making right now. A bit unfortunate timing for him to explode as a top-5 forward in the league right after the contract was signed, but I'm sure he'll manage with scant $49,000,000 in 8 years.

He might have gotten a bit more if he's signed a year later but Marchand's contract was a clear hometown discount - probably the biggest one in the league. But that's also why it is 8 years with a NMC - he took a fraction of what he was worth to be sure he would be here for the rest of his career. We're damn lucky.

I'm hoping it sets a bit of a precedent for the other UFA contracts. Krug is definitely a guy I could taking a cut to stay here. But how much of a cut? I am going to be so pissed if we lose Krug because of that f***ing Backes contract. God it keeps me up at night.

Reactions: Spooner st

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
He is very good on the power play but this is factually wrong. Bruins power play without him at the begging of the year was still in the top 5 and converted at nearly 30%. Also in the playoffs while krug had the most power play points, power play units with McAvoy on it converted at a higher rate than ones with Krug on it in the playoffs.
I believe he is the pp quarterback. When he isn’t on the ice it isn’t as good. That is so evident when watching He is so well liked. Charlie can’t come close to shooting the puck like Krug. He would be a huge loss

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I believe he is the pp quarterback. When he isn’t on the ice it isn’t as good. That is so evident when watching He is so well liked. Charlie can’t come close to shooting the puck like Krug. He would be a huge loss

Wait what? McAvoy can’t come close to shooting the puck like Krug? McAvoy has a 9% shooting percentage compared to Krugs 4.9% in their careers. McAvoy has a way better shot than Krug.

Krug is definitely the much better passer but McAvoy is a much better shooter. Krug is just put in way more offensive situations like power play opportunities and more offensive zone starts so Krug more than doubles McAvoys total shot attempts taken. However McAvoy scores at a much higher rate on shot attempts.

Last two years krug has 20 goals but that’s on 348 shot attempts. McAvoy has 14 goals but only on 156 shot attempts.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm hoping it sets a bit of a precedent for the other UFA contracts. Krug is definitely a guy I could taking a cut to stay here. But how much of a cut? I am going to be so pissed if we lose Krug because of that ****ing Backes contract. God it keeps me up at night.

Whether Krug stays or goes I think depends on what he wants. If he goes "market" value (whatever that is, who is the comparable?) and wants 8+ which isn't unreasonable, he might not be re-signed Backes notwithstanding. I get why they didn't move Backes this season- they probably could have at a cost Sweeney did not want to pay. There is potentially a lot of space available after this season, but if it came down to Krug re-signing at a number and term Boston can live with and David Backes' cap hit is the block, I could see Backes getting moved at a cost if it comes to that. There was no major urgency (from management's perspective) to pay whatever the price was this off-season to ship Backes out.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Wait what? McAvoy can’t come close to shooting the puck like Krug? McAvoy has a 9% shooting percentage compared to Krugs 4.9% in their careers. McAvoy has a way better shot than Krug.

Krug is definitely the much better passer but McAvoy is a much better shooter. Krug is just put in way more offensive situations like power play opportunities and more offensive zone starts so Krug more than doubles McAvoys total shot attempts taken. However McAvoy scores at a much higher rate on shot attempts.

Last two years krug has 20 goals but that’s on 348 shot attempts. McAvoy has 14 goals but only on 156 shot attempts.
Krug has a bomb it might not be as accurate as McAvoy but McAvoy does not have a shot it is the one thing he has to work on. Did you ever see ray Bourque career shooting percentage I believe about 6.6

Reactions: ThomasJ13

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Krug has a bomb it might not be as accurate as McAvoy but McAvoy does not have a shot it is the one thing he has to work on. Did you ever see ray Bourque career shooting percentage I believe about 6.6

McAvoy just doesn't take many shots. Krug is bombs away. McAvoy's shooting percentage is because of shot selection, not having some crazy accurate shot.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

6.6 is incredibly better than 4.9. Especially considering at the back end of Krugs career it will definitely decline even lower than 4.9%. For comparison John Moore has a 4.9% career shooting percentage. So that’s the company krug is with.

The notion the krug has a “bomb” is insane. I would love to see a MPH tracker on it because it seems average at best. Elite passer but not nearly close on his shooting ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->