Confirmed with Link: Torey Krug signing 4 year deal

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Love Krug....what a steal getting as a UFA especially away from his hometown Wings who showed up late but Torey was loyal to Don Sweeney who was there at the beginning

Class act

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
So Krug can only be traded to 21 different teams at ages 28 and 29.

I don't see this as anything to be concerned about.

Like it or not, NTCs are the cost of doing business in today's player marketplace.

Minor point, it will be at least 22 teams by then, more likely 23.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
For those who aren't happy about the money, imagine the defensive core without Krug for a second. Where's the offense coming from? Which is the puck moving D?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
For those who aren't happy about the money, imagine the defensive core without Krug for a second. Where's the offense coming from? Which is the puck moving D?

Imagine a good defensive core around Krug.

Krug's solid and a part of the puzzle a this point. I do think he's slightly over paid (maybe by half a million). But IMO overpaying guys slightly was Chiarelli's downfall. Push comes to shove, if another player leaves over .5 million dollars or we can't bid as high on a different player, a lot of fingers will be pointed at moves like this. Maybe Krug makes this contract look like a steal, but if the last 2 seasons, with the last being the indicative for a raise, I don't know if it was enough to garner a 1.5 million per year raise. But hey, that's just my opinion.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Imagine a good defensive core around Krug.

Krug's solid and a part of the puzzle a this point. I do think he's slightly over paid (maybe by half a million). But IMO overpaying guys slightly was Chiarelli's downfall. Push comes to shove, if another player leaves over .5 million dollars or we can't bid as high on a different player, a lot of fingers will be pointed at moves like this. Maybe Krug makes this contract look like a steal, but if the last 2 seasons, with the last being the indicative for a raise, I don't know if it was enough to garner a 1.5 million per year raise. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Chiarelli's downfall wasn't overpaying guys, it was overpaying guys, giving them NTC/NMC's and overvaluing depth players.

Krug is fine at this salary. Would I have liked it to be less? Yes, but Krug making 500k more than I'd like is far from the problem on this team.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
So Krug can only be traded to 21 different teams at ages 28 and 29.

I don't see this as anything to be concerned about.

Like it or not, NTCs are the cost of doing business in today's player marketplace.

You probably meant "22"... ;)

PS: Salem13 already raised the same point.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Good signing. There's no way in Hell That Sweeney could afford to let him walk given our current situation on the blue line. That's a decent deal given the limited leverage Sweeney had.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Chiarelli's downfall wasn't overpaying guys, it was overpaying guys, giving them NTC/NMC's and overvaluing depth players.

Krug is fine at this salary. Would I have liked it to be less? Yes, but Krug making 500k more than I'd like is far from the problem on this team.

Chia's downfall really wasn't even that. Maybe it cost him 1 player in his time in Boston (Boychuk), and even that was the poorly timed injuries more than anything else.

Chia's downfall was a couple notable cap miscues (Thomas contract, and the Iginla bonus deal). But even more than that it was whiffing on about 4 drafts that really killed him

Back to Krug, his pay is perfectly fine. There are worse guys getting more than him, and maybe a few guys in his area getting a tiny bit less. My guess is we will significantly underpay him over the next 4 years when you look at what he will produce

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Good signing. There's no way in Hell That Sweeney could afford to let him walk given our current situation on the blue line. That's a decent deal given the limited leverage Sweeney had.

That is a good point, I have no issues with this deal, glad they were able to get it done.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia

Chia would also over pay for aging vets whose roster space took a slot away from a cheaper up and coming young player. You can argue that the $ for Krug was a bit of any overpay right now, but he's entering his prime. It'll be worth it

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Chia's downfall really wasn't even that. Maybe it cost him 1 player in his time in Boston (Boychuk), and even that was the poorly timed injuries more than anything else

Chia's downfall was a couple notable cap miscues (Thomas contract, and the Iginla bonus deal). But even more than that it was whiffing on about 4 drafts that really killed him

Back to Krug, his pay is perfectly fine. There are worse guys getting more than him, and maybe a few guys in his area getting a tiny bit less. My guess is we will significantly underpay him over the next 4 years when you look at what he will produce

People tend to forget this. Kelly was injured during the "free" buyout window after the lockout, which created a bad knock-on effect down the line. Not that I'm defending Chia here, but some really bad luck with injuries really hurt the team in more ways than one.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
People tend to forget this. Kelly was injured during the "free" buyout window after the lockout, which created a bad knock-on effect down the line. Not that I'm defending Chia here, but some really bad luck with injuries really hurt the team in more ways than one.

He wasn't injured during the 2013 compliance buy-out window.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Could have sworn he was. Was it Seids I was thinking of? Or was there another compliance window in 2014?

There were two, after the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

He might of been injured for the 2nd one (2014), he didn't finish the season with that back injury.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
There were two, after the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

He might of been injured for the 2nd one (2014), he didn't finish the season with that back injury.

There was no way Chia was buying him out after the first year of his new contract, even with such a poor performance. Would have made him look extremely bad.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

firm believer that the leadership role will shift from Z to Krug in the years to come and having this guy work with kids in this organization as they develop is invaluable. Krug has born leader written all over him and IMO, this contract, IMO, isn`t close to being an over payment

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
There was no way Chia was buying him out after the first year of his new contract, even with such a poor performance. Would have made him look extremely bad.

agreed, and if not mistaken, the next year CK was injured and excluded from being bought out?

Biggest issue was Chia being too loyal, too generous

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Agree, he wouldn't of, but he should have. It was clear after the 2013 lock-out season, where Kelly had just 12 points in 56 games (reg. season + PO) he wasn't worth 3 million per anymore.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
And now, back to the Torey Krug discussion.

I'm happy with the contract. Character, "glue" guy, plus he produces.

other than the fact he misses the net all the time, I guess he produces:sarcasm:

Love Krug, love the signing, have no issues with the dollars either, now go get Marchand done and another piece for the D

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Overpaid IMO but glad the NTC doesn't kick in for a couple of years. IMO he'll never be more than a #4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad