Confirmed with Link: Torey Krug signing 4 year deal

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
So wait...it is 5.25 AAV?

I'm less thrilled. That's top of the market value. Outside of Bergeron have we ever signed one of our own guys to anything but top of the market money?

I like Krug, I'm glad he's staying, and overpaying him isn't a disaster like overpaying a Kevan Miller, but he won this negotiation.

Keep in mind that we are taking some of his UFA years from him as well. He'll be 29 when this deal is up.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Where he ranks among defenseman in the league since his first full season in the NHL in 2012. Keep in mind that 404 defensemen have suited up during this time period.

Games: 17th

Goals: 20th

Assists: 22nd

OPS: 15th

DPS: 35th

+/- : 12th

Even Strength Goals: 13th

Power Play Goals: 29th

Shots on Goals: 5th

TOI: 42nd

That is impressive when you see it in black and white instead of his height. Which is why people hate on him, size thing with guys. At least he is taller the Marchand or is it the other way around

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
That is impressive when you see it in black and white instead of his height. Which is why people hate on him, size thing with guys. At least he is taller the Marchand or is it the other way around

That answer depends on whichever of the two you're asking :naughty:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I hate this deal because I wish it was 8 years.

Krug won't win a Norris, but I think he could be Brian Rafalski

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I love the deal and Krug just hope they can find someone else with Krug on the point on the power play who can wheel and deal like he can . It was frustrating after awhile watching him trying to run the show , he needs help .

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I do like the fact that the Bruins did good by him after he previously took a low short-term deal. That at least sends a message to UFAs out there that the Bruins' management deals fairly.

I'm sure players and agents pay attention to this stuff. Imagine being in a profession where everyone knows what everyone else makes - colleagues and competitors - and how things got negotiated. Of course you're taking notes. :amazed:

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
What a bunch of BS Torey Should have been (and with any other team Would've been)
A 4.25 - 4.85 low shooting LH dman which the Bruins could have traded to Buffalo
(if not in the same division) for 8TH overall. Another screw over by the Bruins Management. Half a million too much.,..

Huh?

He's overpaid but we could have traded him for the 8th overall?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Worth every penny. Now surround him with half way decent D.

We are finally on the same page for once :laugh:

I don't understand all the gnashing of teeth and hand wringing? Krug has scored 39-44 point per over the last 3 seasons (20th in the league, ahead of guys like Faulk, Kronwall, Hamilton, Fowler, McDonagh, Brodie, Goligoski, etc), has a great work ethic and is an excellent leader. I think much of "Behind the B" is for show, but does anyone think it's a coincidence that Krug is the one talking to the kids at the Development Camp about the work they need to put it? I don't.

Jared Spurgeon, who is a similar d-man to Krug, just signed a 4 year extension with the Wild at $5.19m per. He has a similar build and style of play, is a little better defensively, but has produced only 80 pts over the last 3 seasons (not even in the Top 50). Krug is also in the Top 20 over that time period for games played (16th) and plus/minus (12th). So, despite his size, he's tough and extremely durable (there are no other Bruins D in the Top 50).

Can he get better in his own end? Absolutely, just like 99% of the D in the league. Is he going to be limited in certain situations because of his size? Yes, but this can be offset by playing him with a bigger D partner (Carlo eventually?). All in all, for what Krug brings to the table on the ice and with intangibles, nobody should be complaining about his contract.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
I wasn't on board with giving him 5M but in reality he's a +40pts d-man who can carry a PP and play 20ish mins a night. That's worth 5M in my books any less would a huge win for the Bruins.

Yep, I agree.. He plays 20 min or so a game, gives you 40+ points and runs the PP, and is pretty durable thus far. He's worth 5M a year. Now if they can get him at under that, that would be awesome.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I watched Krug up close as an 18-year-old in junior & had an opportunity to interview him a couple of years ago when he came back to Indy to watch his old junior team (which his brother was an assistant coach for) in the USHL Final.

It was 3 days after the disaster in Montreal, and he couldn't have been more gracious. You could tell he wasn't just talented, but he also had a great sense of perspective.

You can tell he's a leader and has the respect of the room. This team needs players like that - that was lost when Recchi retired and Thornton/Boychuk moved on. Chara & Bergeron are the leaders, but Krug is a heart-and-soul type guy.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
NTC disease! Why this guy needed one, is beyond me.

So Krug can only be traded to 21 different teams at ages 28 and 29.

I don't see this as anything to be concerned about.

Like it or not, NTCs are the cost of doing business in today's player marketplace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad