Player Discussion Torey Krug IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
View attachment 172005

Points by D last 3 seasons

Krug is a elite offensive D one of the best in the entire NHL

the defense drives the offense take him out of our lineup and our fowards and offense will struggle

Krug will be extremely hard to replace

I highly doubt the Bruins offer him a contract for the years and term he will be asking in free agency.

Are you willing to pay a him nearly $7mil a year for a guy who plays borderline 3rd pairing quality of competition and doesn’t play on the penalty kill/ can’t be trusted defensively?

It really depends what the bruins do with his $5.25 million. If they go out and get a 2nd line RW with that money and replace him with vaakaneinen, then let mcavoy/gryz take over PP1 and 2, how much of a hit will that really be?

We have some really good defensive prospects in Vaak and lauzon coming up. If we replace backes on the powerplay with what we get for krug and are a better defensive team, this team could honestly be better.

Again it really depends on what the Bruins use Krugs money on.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
I like Krug, he ofcourse is not the best in his own zone but man the PP hums when hes around. That said, Chia is still employed in EDM, the Bruins should take liberties.

Maybe Krug and Accari for Bouchard, Yamamoto, 2019 first...

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany

Everybody know that he has elite offensive skills, the problem is that he is not very good defensively and is costing his team goals with dumb plays.

The Bruins have needs and Toreys contract is gonna be up. I think its fair to discuss if you want to extract him in the 6-7 million range despite his shortcomings and if you expect him to able to contribute in the playoffs. I mean with contributing, that he is able to be trusted on defensively too. Dont know if that makes me a hater.

Last edited:

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I can’t see Krug asking for more than what anyone makes on the top line.

Yandle makes 6.35 and Shattenkirk 6.65 as comparables.

6.5 is probably market value. Anything less is a steal and anything more is where things get tricky.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Krug's next contract is going to be tricky for sure. He will be 29 in the first year of his new deal. What kind of term is he going to want? I would assume at least 6 years. Have to wonder when those elite offensive skills will start eroding. Also have to wonder if he will get even worse defensively. He's pretty much at the age now where he's not going to improve defensively. I would be hesitant in throwing a lot of money and term at him since there is certainly some risk of a one trick pony losing his one trick later in his career. Not saying the Bs should or shouldn't re-sign Krug. Honestly, I think it's too early to know what they should do. So much depends on when DS finds fit to go for the Cup and quit middling around. Also, I want to see if McAvoy can play a long stretch of good hockey and stay in the lineup. Hasn't happened since last season. Bs cannot afford to lose Krug while at the same time not having an effective and healthy McAvoy.

Reactions: CellyHard

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I expect Krug to get his money, but i think he'll leave money on the table. I just get the feeling that Donnie and Torey have a good appreciation of each other. I think he'll still be here next contract.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I expect Krug to get his money, but i think he'll leave money on the table. I just get the feeling that Donnie and Torey have a good appreciation of each other. I think he'll still be here next contract.
I sure hope so - the kid is a straight up winner and a role model to the young guys breaking in. He does it all the right way.

A defense built around him and McAvoy would be solid after the Z era passes.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Krug is jenkel and hyde. On the o zone and part of the game he is very good. Down low and on the d aspect of the game, not that much.

yep, but the question will be if they are entertaining moving him, do they believe whomever they get in return, combined with what they already have, be able to absorb the loss of a guy who has done nothing other than put up between 40-almost 60 pts yearly ? That`s a ton of production lost on the back end

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I am far more concerned with the term of Krug's next contract than I am the cap hit or AAV.

I'm a big fan of Krug but I have really only two concerns with him. One is his durability, the other is his legs and skating. They kinda go hand in hand.

Even though he's an elite-level point producing D-man, he isn't the greatest skater IMO. Not that's he's bad, but his skating is average-to-above average. He'll be 29 when his new contract begins, what will his skating be like when he's 33 or 34 on a 4-5 year deal with another half-decade of wear and tear under his belt?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I am far more concerned with the term of Krug's next contract than I am the cap hit or AAV.

I'm a big fan of Krug but I have really only two concerns with him. One is his durability, the other is his legs and skating. They kinda go hand in hand.

Even though he's an elite-level point producing D-man, he isn't the greatest skater IMO. Not that's he's bad, but his skating is average-to-above average. He'll be 29 when his new contract begins, what will his skating be like when he's 33 or 34 on a 4-5 year deal with another half-decade of wear and tear under his belt?
Just my take, but I find (generally) that shorter players tend to do well in their late 20s to mid 30s.

My reasoning for this is that they generally hit their growth spurts later in life than bigger kids, thus they hit their peak form/strength later and their prime later as well. I don't have the time to research if the numbers back me up, but obviously some recent examples are Ray Whitney/Marty St. Louis putting up some terrific numbers in their mid to late 30s.

The wear and tear is a separate issue though that could very well change how he plays in his mid 30s. Being a small dman also means he'll take a lot of punishment on the forecheck.

Reactions: NoregreB

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
yep, but the question will be if they are entertaining moving him, do they believe whomever they get in return, combined with what they already have, be able to absorb the loss of a guy who has done nothing other than put up between 40-almost 60 pts yearly ? That`s a ton of production lost on the back end
My point is Krug is what he is. I do not say Krug ain’t important to Boston, neither they should trade him. If they do, they need the correct return. If you look at this type of d, most were and are like hyde and jenkel... except few exception.
Alot of puck mouvement defence will take chance and sometimes have defensive flaws... E Karlson comes in mind.

That is my point. You either deal with it or find a replacement. Krug in my book will always be in some way a defensive and physical liability. BUT he will always bring some genius offensive move like they incredible pass to Pastrnak... which was a piece of art.

BruinsNetwork

Can't wait for them to trade him just to read the whining about lack of offensive production from the back end.

/popcorn

You mean, it isn't easy to find 59-point (in less than 82GP) defenders in the NHL?

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I flip flop on this all the time. On one hand, Krug is our only offensive dman. No offense to Mac, but he's more an elite puck mover who can play 3 times a month before getting a boo boo. Carlo is a defensive monster, but he's not any offensive elite producer. Gryz is nice, but he's no where near Krug's level in offense. Vaak, Lauzon, Zboril, Moore are all nice, but none of them will be producing points up the arse.

Good thing I ain't the GM. Leave it to the Sweenius.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Not for nothing but McAvoy has over 40 points in 80 games, our D won't look like when we traded Wideman. Of course Mac staying healthy is important but while no one is on Krug's level it is also not a situation where Chara is our second best puck mover.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Not for nothing but McAvoy has over 40 points in 80 games, our D won't look like when we traded Wideman. Of course Mac staying healthy is important but while no one is on Krug's level it is also not a situation where Chara is our second best puck mover.

:eek2:

That would be awful, especially with the 2018-19 version of Chara. I think you are right, the Bruins could survive and thrive without Krug, but he would be missed, and I'd rather they not move him out. It may come to it if Krug is the player than can bring a talented goal scorer in, or if his contract demands look a little high, though. Charlie, if he stays healthy, can do some of what Krug does, and Grizz some, but neither of them have quite the amazing offensive skill set and vision and hands that Krug does.

Reactions: Tampbear
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->