Proposal: TOR-VAN

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
No sense for VAN in this. If they want Barrie, they'll go after him in FA as has been widely speculated. Tanev is so night and day better defensively too.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Edler-Myers and Hughes-literally who ever are two pairings that do fine offensively.

Barrie to Vancouver was before Myers was signed and we might not have been sure Hughes was as effective as he has been. Subban too. We couldn't afford the ask, our 10th overall for Barrie and Horvat for Subban apparently were the highs of both rumours I'd seen, so I'm glad we stuck to what we had.

We actually have a small surplus in these areas, most teams call it depth, that we can use to fill a position of need. Barrie doesn't fill that need, even if he is this 50 point D he was in Colorado. If we can flip him for more, then why is Barrie to Vancouver a thing? Why not trade him there directly?

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Barrie would have been nice prior to the beginning of the season with the number of question marks we had on defense. 20+ games into the season, it no longer makes sense for the Canucks, especially in a trade involving Chris Tanev.

Tanev has 5 points to Barrie's 6. Tanev plays a much better defensive game compared to Barrie which allows Hughes to be able to do the things he does without having to worry about defensive coverage, etc.

I could see a deal that could be made at the deadline involving Stetcher, Barrie and picks. Barrie is a UFA and its almost certain he's as good as gone. You'll find a lot of suitors for him but none wanting to pay the top 4 dman rental price knowing they have leverage over the leafs.

Vancouver will likely go after another top 6 winger (Hoffman/Krieder or similar) and Barrie in the off season. I fully expect them to move off of Baertshi, Stetcher, Markstrom, and likely Leivo/Pearson (depending on how they do rest of the way) to make the necessary room for Barrie and another top 6 FWD.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
A 50 point defenseman couldn't get a 20 point bottom pairing dman or a 25 point 3rd/4th line tweener? If Barrie is ass, then I'm not quite sure how to describe them. I don't think the Leafs make the trade, they have very little use for either player, if he wasn't struggling it wouldn't even be a realistic premise given his play in the league, it probably wouldn't be anyway based on fit. I feel like there may be some blind homerism and recency bias at play here coming from Canucks fans in this very thread.
The Canucks have very little use for Barrie. They are not going to give up a young asset for a guy who would be on our bottom pairing for 60 games and then leave as a free agent.
Hughes brings everything Barrie brings and more.

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
:nucks

D Tyson Barrie
F Nic Petan

:leafs

D Chris Tanev
F Sven Baertschi

Not sure of the logistics of it as Vancouver has T-Boobs as an off-season target and then there’s Baertschi’s salary but anyways

if the Canucks want Barrie, they will get him for free in the offseason. He wants to play in Vancouver. Why would they give up an asset?
Watch Toronto struggle with the cap and season, his value is sure to go down playing in the tire fire of a team, then get him for free in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad