Rumor: TOR to sign Kenny Agostino to 2 year deal (Close to 700K AAV) - McKenzie

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Do you think he beats out Petan for that spot?

I think so. Equal skill wise, but Agostino has the physical element to his game. Can also PK, which we'll need if indeed Brown is gone.

Edit - was on pace for 182 hits last year, which would put him in the top 40, league wide.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yes, he suits Babcock's idea of a 4th liner better than Petan, he can PK as well which is a huge plus in his favor
He was waived by the Habs last year, Jersey picked him off waivers and here we are

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
For those analytic nerds, Agostino is ranked #2 in Ian Tulloch’s top 10 best valued free agents this year.

It’s an Athletic article, so I don’t know the entire list

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He was waived by the Habs last year, Jersey picked him off waivers and here we are

And Petan was traded for Lindholm, the kids numbers are good and he better suits a 4th line role, he's helps prevent goals which is a bit of a need

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
3rd line center?

I wouldn't put him at center. Call me crazy, but I've been pencilling him in one of the Tavares or Matthews lines, in a "show me what you can do" scenerio. At least until Hyman is back, which hopefully at that time, you've got a good understanding of what you've got.

Petan is a very skilled player, that has put up very good numbers at all levels. He hasn't played with Top 6 guys at the NHL level, so I'm interested to see what can happen.

Reactions: teddygmr

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wouldn't put him at center. Call me crazy, but I've been pencilling him in one of the Tavares or Matthews lines, in a "show me what you can do" scenerio. At least until Hyman is back, which hopefully at that time, you've got a good understanding of what you've got.

Petan is a very skilled player, that has put up very good numbers at all levels. He hasn't played with Top 6 guys at the NHL level, so I'm interested to see what can happen.

I haven’t called you crazy enough?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
For those analytic nerds, Agostino is ranked #2 in Ian Tulloch’s top 10 best valued free agents this year.

It’s an Athletic article, so I don’t know the entire list

I read it, that's why I thought we may have some intrest in him Cor
Good numbers being undervalued was the basic narrative

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

I haven't said this on here yet but for some reason, I have been thinking Kadri will be moved and Dubas gives the 3rd center spot to Petan and see how he does, but who knows lol. I liked Petan from his AHL days and I think Dubas does also

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
And Petan was traded for Lindholm, the kids numbers are good and he better suits a 4th line role, he helps prevent goals which is a bit of a need
the kid has played 85 NHL games since the 13/14 season, what numbers are good?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
the kid has played 85 NHL games since the 13/14 season, what numbers are good?

His defensive metrics are good and he's put up good points totals with low minutes and poor teammate quality apparently, the article I read was pretty favorable if he gets close to league minimum dollars

I’ve mentioned wanting to sign Leipsic, Kruger and Heed.

Sub Agostino for Leipsic.

Hopefully we get the other two

Apparently Leipsic drives play up ice really well (a bit like Moore) his offensive zone entries are really strong apparently
Kruger has fallen off over the last couple of years but defensively he's still strong
Heed's good offensively but defensively he's pretty meh

Reactions: Menzinger

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Exactamundo what this organization needs is: Thugs and thugettes.

:clap: Clappin real hard my hands here on dubas's clap back. This is it y'all. He gittin ready. :fire: :smoke: :cigar: :cigarillo:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Leafs had 3 players last year that had more than 100 hits. Zaitsev with 139 (traded), Hyman with 102 (starting on the IR) and Dermott with 100 (starting on the IR).

Agostino had 143 hits.

Ennis was on pace for 29 points in 82 games. Agostino was on pace for 31.

Leafs had 3 LW players with 43, 41 and 37 points. Marleau’s 37 is gone. Hyman’s 41 is starting on the IR.

Marleau gone and Hyman starting on the IR. Much needed LW depth. Johnsson, Moore, Agostino and Petan starting on the left side.

It’s a fine signing

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs had 3 players last year that had more than 100 hits. Zaitsev with 139 (traded), Hyman with 102 (starting on the IR) and Dermott with 100 (starting on the IR).

Agostino had 143 hits.

Ennis was on pace for 29 points in 82 games. Agostino was on pace for 31.

Leafs had 3 LW players with 43, 41 and 37 points. Marleau’s 37 is gone. Hyman’s 41 is starting on the IR.

Marleau gone and Hyman starting on the IR. Much needed LW depth. Johnsson, Moore, Agostino and Petan starting on the left side.

It’s a fine signing

3 LWers, 1 RWer and 1 C earning less than $1M does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Had that going last year too with Gauthier, Ennis, Moore, Leivo and Petan/Lindholm.

Ennis was a buyout so I only count Goat, and Lindholm/Moore playing at the same time last year after Leivo was moved. Starting the season with AJ, Petan, Moore and Agostino as our 4 LWers is not a good thing although Moore could be this year's AJ if he can take the next step.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ennis was a buyout so I only count Goat, and Lindholm/Moore playing at the same time last year after Leivo was moved. Starting the season with AJ, Petan, Moore and Agostino as our 4 LWers is not a good thing although Moore could be this year's AJ if he can take the next step.

Hyman should be back in a month, maybe 2 tops. Marleau wasn’t anything special at 37 points so I don’t count him as a loss especially when Agostino was on pace for 30 points.

Like you said Johnsson and Moore should be better than they were than last season. So all you need from Agostino, Petan and Mikheyev is to cover for 1-2 month of Hyman and a 37 point season from Marleau. That should be easy.

We only got 44 from AJ, 41 from Hyman, 37 from Marleau and 18 from Ennis. Moore gave you 8 in 25 games.

I say AJ is good for at least 50, possible 60. Hyman will put up 30 when he returns. Moore might put up 30. Agostino 20? Petan 10-15? Mikheyev, 10?

Left side will be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->